Back to Basics

Colin-Anderton wrote on 6/29/2026, 2:36 PM

You know what? I've had it with modern video editing products! I realised the other day, life is too short for all the hassle.

I have learned how to put Windows 10 on my editing computer without having to connect to the internet, and have reverted to Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12. I bought this marvellous programme many years ago, but I suddenly realised it still does everything I need, so I've cut my editing computer totally from the internet, and have made a clean install of the programmes I need - and that's the way that computer is going to remain!

There are so many issues that come up with all the modern programmes, I've decided to make my life nice and simple again; no more internet to mess with my computer, and I'm at last thoroughly enjoying life again.

If you still own a copy of Sony's programme, I'd recommend it to anyone. Sony made a terrific programme way back, and I remember it only cost £43 - and it included the marvellous DVD Architect!!! Best purchase I ever made.

Comments

Reyfox wrote on 8/29/2026, 5:38 AM

It has been a bit since I've been to this part of the user forum.

I do tend to agree with you. Every year, something new has to be added to attract new users and to get the "old" users to upgrade. There needs to be a steady flow of income at all times. People complained about subscription models, but Adobe has been more than successful with that, and having a steady stream of money coming in.

But with added complexity comes problematic issues with software. Even the "big boys" (Adobe, Davinci, Media Composer) have their fair share of issues. One trip to their user forums will reveal this. And some issues take longer to fix than others. But back when things were "simpler", coding wasn't in the zillions of lines of code. But now, everyone wants the latest and greatest with all the whizzbang whistles that are out there. And while I do editing, most of what I do use cuts, cross dissolves, and fades for transitions, simple titles and color correcting grading. But there are those times I am glad I have "more". Not that I use all the effects/transitions, but they are there for those special needs. And I don't use them to draw attention to the effect, but to enhance the overall video.

So I fully understand going back in time when editing software was simpler. And yes, DVD Architect is great for DVD authoring if you still do that.

SP. wrote on 8/29/2026, 5:58 AM

In my opinion, the editing part was always the easiest part to do, it works nearly the same as it did 20 years ago.

Most problems were caused from the vast selection of video codecs, the challenge of transferring video from film or tape to a computer, and the selection of the appropriate medium and codec for playback on video players or modern video platforms. Then there was the additional shift from SD video to 4K, SDR colors to HDR colors and CPU to GPU acceleration, where we still haven't reached the point where all operations can be handled by the GPU. These factors were always changing and are the primary reason why video editing software had to evolve constantly.

Of course, you can still work fine with old video editing software if you just need to create DVD quality videos.

Colin-Anderton wrote on 8/29/2026, 7:52 AM

Thanks for your responses, folks. As most of my footage is film and TV from the 1950s-1970s (early Space Age material), the Sony programme works beautifully for me.

No glitches, no peculiar bursts of audio where you least expect them etc. Maybe video editing should have stayed in the hands of Sony - a reliable brand with an excellent reputation.

SP. wrote on 8/29/2026, 8:27 AM

@Colin-Anderton Vegas always had the same developers. Sony tried to kill Vegas for Catalyst and then sold Vegas off when Catalyst development encountered massive problems because of bad management.

robertNC wrote on 8/29/2026, 9:11 PM

I dunno - seems like the OG sonic foundry software lineup peaked with Sony for a short while before corporate undercut them. Magix tried but ultimately succumbed to the tumult of the current desktop software industry crisis. Now it seems like everything is phone-based for content in an atomized cultural landscape.