"Find similar photos" in Photo Manager Deluxe gives ludicrous results

Andy-Trigg schrieb am 21.05.2024 um 13:14 Uhr

Hi. I'm testing a trial version, and selected a photo of myself and my wife stood side by side (full body length). I selected "find similar photos". It brought up 8 results. The first was a photo of our front door, second was a photo of my grandad gurning. The third was a photo of our daughter in wedding dress, and the rest included a washing machine, and other totally erroneous results.

As being able to tag and find photos is one of the main reasons for considering purchasing, this is a very disappointing result. Is it usually accurate? How can it possibly think our front door looks like me and my wife standing together?

Kommentare

emmrecs schrieb am 21.05.2024 um 15:47 Uhr

@Andy-Trigg

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

First, you need to be aware that ALL trial versions of Magix products are in some way limited in comparison with the full, purchased versions.

Second, I will be quite honest and say I have never attempted to use the "Find similar Photos" feature in PM. However, your results do sound very bizarre, to say the least!

Third, and perhaps most relevant, it is a source of some annoyance to several users here that PM has not been updated in any way for several years and, at the moment, there seems to be no indication that this will change, at least in the short-term.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker schrieb am 22.05.2024 um 01:08 Uhr

@Andy-Trigg

Hi

. . . . selected a photo of myself and my wife stood side by side (full body length) . . . .

From previous experience with Photo Manager (PM), the Find Similar photos, does work reasonably well within certain constraints.

The subject being looked for in the image needs to be relatively dominant, eg for facial recognition a head and shoulder shot with little distracting background, I suspect this is why you are getting 'our front door looks like me and my wife standing together'.

I cannot test for exact sizes, PM does not work on Windows 11, at least on my PC. It appears that Microsoft have deprecated/disabled an old Windows feature that is obsolete and PM uses, the feature cannot be installed.

HTH

John EB

Zuletzt geändert von johnebaker am 22.05.2024, 01:10, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Andy-Trigg schrieb am 22.05.2024 um 12:00 Uhr

Thanks for the replies. I'm genuinely puzzled as to how they even have this feature if it's so poor as it's caused me to look for something better. Here are my results -

browj2 schrieb am 22.05.2024 um 13:23 Uhr

@Andy-Trigg

Hi,

As pointed out, Photo Manager is now quite old and desperately needs an update and some bugs fixed.

I have never been able to figure out what the "Find similar photos" - "find similar photos" feature actually is trying to do. It can't be doing image analysis as that would require a lot of power and some training as to what one is looking for. In the search screen, look at the options - search hard drives, database, Search for EXIF content. I suggest that you read the manual. Maybe you can figure out something that I can't see.

The manual indicates "...find similar subjects." IDK what that means.

The other options are tagging people (recognize faces) and this requires training the program. From the manual:

A different way to catalogue pictures is by using FaceID, a development of the Fraunhofer Institute. FaceID recognizes faces on photos and gradually learns recurring faces using typical features, and these are then assigned to specific people.

There is a problem with this. I already have people named under categories and they don't show up in the "persons" column of the interface - it's empty. Adding a new person with the same name will tell you that the person exists, but you can't select it.

EDIT: This is what I mean. If I add the name, it tells me that it already exists.

EDIT again: testing out the facial recognition, it seems that as you go through the photos in the above interface, it tries to id faces and suggest who is who. You accept and the category is added for that person. As far as I can tell, it does not go through folders by itself trying to find a person. It would have been nice if the manual was clear about what this actually does.

As so on.

I don't use Photo Manager for finding similar photos, mainly for cataloguing/categorizing and adding descriptions, and previewing photos, videos and audio files, and dragging them to a video editor.

All in all, I don't think that there is anything (at a reasonable price) that comes close to what PM can actually do, or at least, I wasn't able to find one. There are many that do photos, but not video and audio files.

An updated version would be appreciated.

John CB

Zuletzt geändert von browj2 am 22.05.2024, 13:49, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos