Deleted Items Appear In Folder

dawng wrote on 3/19/2013, 4:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and just designed my first (and probably only) website with Xara.  I really like the software but only really needed it to design a professional photo restoration website.

My question is......items that have been deleted or replaced on the pages still re-appear each time I "publish website".  I designed a photo slide show, and after several revisions, finally settled on this final copy.  With each "publish" all the previous versions keep appearing in the web folder.  How do I prevent this from happening?  Thanks in advance :)

Comments

cpc000cpc wrote on 3/19/2013, 5:01 PM

dawng,

Two suggestions based on use of Movie Edit Pro -- I don't have Xara:

MEP has an option to backup a project and all its resources (video clips, images etc) to a new folder or drive. This is intended for backup after finishing a project but might suit your needs as it only copies items that are actually in use. Check under 'File' >> 'Backup copy' >> 'Copy...' to see if XWD has this option.

Unless Xara make extra copies, you might temporarily move all the unused images to another location before you do your publishing. In MEP, if an image can't be found, a dialog pops up asking me if I want to locate it or skip it.

Hope this helps,

Carl

dawng wrote on 3/19/2013, 5:12 PM

Thank  you Carl......I never would have thought to have looked for those options.  I found something named "page options" under "file" where it gives "10" for backups of previous revisions.  I changed that to 1.  Hopefully that will quell the constant alien appearances of lost souls :)

Thanks much again!

Dawn

dawng wrote on 3/19/2013, 6:35 PM

Unfortunately it didn't cure the prob lem :(  Every time I go to upload the web file folder, there are half a dozen videos in there I have to delete from the ftp queue :(  Oh well....thank you so much for trying to help.....

cpc000cpc wrote on 3/20/2013, 1:49 AM

Dawn,

You report "...there are half a dozen videos in there I have to delete from the ftp queue...". Let me say again, sort of, my second suggestion:

If you have to repeatedly delete the same items from the queue, then the actual files must be somewhere else on your computer as they do not really get deleted. You need to find these video files and, rather than deleting them, rename them or move them for the time being. Then when you 'publish' and  XWD prepares the queue it should not be able to find these six files on their original location.

I doubt the program will crash but more likely give you the option of either finding the files (it assumes you might have had them on a flash drive that is no longer installed) or skipping them altogether. I don't know if saving your web project at this point would fix things permanently, but I think it's worth a try.

Also it would be good to restore you option of 10 backups. With only one backup version you run the risk of making a mistake and doing a 'Save' or two before you realize it. Then you only backup will be a copy with the error.

Regards,

Carl 

dawng wrote on 3/20/2013, 10:25 AM

Hi Carl,

I did as you suggested renaming or deleting those redundant files from the hard drive altoget her......and still they reappear in the web files folder every time I "export website".  I did return the back up to "10". 

johnebaker wrote on 3/21/2013, 3:17 AM

Hi Dawn

When you republish the site are you opting for 'changed pages only' or are you refreshing the whole site?

When you preview the website on your computer (press F5) are the unwanted items there?

If the preview is correct and a full update / publish does not remove the unwanted pages then, as a last resort, it may be necessary to delete the entire on-line site contents and publish again.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/21/2013, 3:17 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

dawng wrote on 3/21/2013, 9:58 AM

Hi John,

The unwanted items are not there on the web - website.....but every time I "save"  my work when I make any changes to any page and then "export website" to the designated folder on my pc, all the long ago deleted videos are there again.  One video was replaced several times due to updating the material, and all the replaced versions are there over and over again.  On one page I deleted the video altogether with NO replacement, and both versions of that long forgotten video is in the folder again with each "export".  While it is not a huge problem, it really is annoying.......   The videos are about 90 megabytes so I absolutely have to delete them all before uploading or I will be there all day 

dcaddy43 wrote on 1/28/2014, 8:06 AM

Hi,

I am also suffering this same problem. I have been doing some tests to establish how different video formats perform with different browsers and platforms. I have a single page on which i put a single video and upload to a "/test" directory on my webFTP. I delete the old file each time before putting a new one on my page. After a cou[ple of trials, I find the old vifeo files in my directory along with the new one. I have tried both whole site and 'changed pages only' - same result..I have also deteted my "/test" directory and started again. Ok in the beginning, but then old files start reappearing.

The extra files do not show up in my browser.

laser3 wrote on 8/6/2014, 11:13 PM

I’m using Xara Designer Pro X10- I love the program and I know that there is much more for me to learn. Not knowing how to stop deleted video files from being exported along with my website was VERY frustrating, but I think I got it! I discovered the problem when my FTP upload was taking much too long for the moderately sized site I was uploading. I discovered that old video files were being exported to my site “index_htm_files” directory. But where were they coming from? It seems that when I dragged and dropped MP4 videos onto my web pagepage (also saved and exported), Xara created a new folder in the same folder that I saved my Xara file (the source files- Cool Site.xar). For example: if my site was named “Cool Site”, Xara would create a folder called “Cool Site_xar_files”. The video files and a file called “retail_video_player.swf” were placed in that folder. When I renamed that folder to  “Cool Site_xar_filesOUT” and exported my website, the videos where NOT included in the export, but when I renamed it “Cool Site_xar_files”, the videos were once again included in the website export. Thank Goodness! ;) Hope this helps…