Nice to meet you , Alex here. I am an oldskool Acid user. Acid has been my only DAW since 2001, a good 17 years of everyday studio usage. I am as loyal as anybody to Acid and i have never changed it.
I am so happy to see MAGIX picking up what Sony left and i have purchased Acid 8 straight away. Good job guys, thank you very much! I was really looking forward for a new version and i am so glad it finally arrived.
I want to share some thoughts, suggestions and personal notes on issues and problems from Acid 7 had, that can be fixed or improved in next version of Acid 8. I apologise in advance if these have been already fixed or discussed in previous threads.
Before i start, just 1 note for Acid 8: I used Acid 8 for a bit, but the most difficult thing for a life-long Acid used is to get used to the dark theme, so i am now back to Acid 7, purely from a practical point of view.
As another thread suggested the darkness is cool, but makes it very hard to see things. Would it be perhaps possible to give us the chance to select between a ''Classic'' theme exactly like Acid 7 and a ''Modern'' (Dark) theme of Acid 8? That would keep everybody happy :)
Here's my list of suggestion which i made over the last few years:
1. Quick cross fade edges of audio events: A very important tool, which doesn't seem to be tied to each project separately, but to all projects. Sometimes it is useful, but sometimes we don't need it. Could we please allow us to somehow have this feature applied to each project specifically?
2. Project Properties: An enhanced version which includes BPM and specific routings on additional Insert Buses would be great so things dont have to be setup from scratch every time (for example Bus 1 routed to Outputs 7 & 8, Bus 2 routed to Outputs 5 & 6). But also, it would be great if all projects can start with specific plugins on the master for example (my UAD Channel strips, EQs, etc). This would help a lot with saving time.
3. Swing: I think this is one for the most important points for me as i desperately need swing precision for loops and one shot programming. The preset swing list is OK, but not really so practical. Could you please help by adding a simple, numeric percentage swing somehow, so we can apply from 0 % Swing to 100% Swing? The closest to my favourite swing is 16th Note Swing, but i need a bit more sometimes. The other swings on that list are either too wild or not enough.
4. MIDI Usage: Not really a big problem but, i want to bring this to MAGIX's attention. Few months ago, i was trying to control my Roland MKS80 synthersizer through an VST called VPM80, which is designed to connect to it via MIDI and control its parameters from inside your DAW. When launching the VST i couldnt connect to the synth, i was getting the message ''The selected device is used by this or another application and cannot be selected''.
Speaking with the VST developers, they told me ''Last time I checked it would not work there because ACID did not have the ability to deactivate individual MIDI ports in the DAW (which is a requirement for the editor)'. In a general manner, the issue is that the DAW is set up to use the channel (to and from the MKS80) itself and does not release it to the VMP to transmit its control data. Not sure if that makes sense, its what i've been told and i though i'd make it known to the community as maybe other members have tried to control vintage gear via VST Controllers and encountered the same issue.
5. LFO: Would it be perhaps possible to have an Acid-native LFO which can be applied to any parameter of any VST plugin? That would be incredibly useful to inject some randomness and live vibe into the arrangement! I would personally happily pay something extra for such handy feature. LFO's make life so much easier and take away the static and predictable nature of a track.
6. Post Recording Pop Up Box: In Acid 7 When recording an audio file and after completing the recording, there is a pop up box in which i you can change the filename of the track. In the box there is a tick-box saying ''Show after recording session''. If for some reason this is disable, by mistake or deliberately, there is no way to get this pop box back, unless you re-install Acid. If you could please fix that, it would be great :)
7. Rendering Time: Obviously bouncing real time is the fastest way, but with new strong multi-core processors landing like the i9's,Threadripper 2 etc. would it be perhaps possible to achieve faster offline render speeds if future Acid version are programmed to take advantage of the extra cores? How does the core count and other new CPU specs affect Acid 8 and can Acid 8 take advantage of these new processors for audio processing & VSTs?
These are the points i had made notes for, once again apologies if some of these have been addressed already