ACID Music Studio 10.0.108 32 bit vs. ACID Music Studio 11 - opinions?

MarkInFL wrote on 5/17/2024, 2:13 PM

Hello-
I have been using ACID Music Studio 10.0.108 32bit (NOT PRO) since I purchased it from Sony. I've used it on Win7Pro, Win10Pro 64 and now Win11Pro 64 -- for Win10 & 11 I run it in Compatibility Mode for Win7. I do voice overs and audio for radio & TV commercials, mixing voice, music, EFX, etc. Never more than 8 tracks. Music Studio 10 32bit is working flawlessly for me, but the Music Studio 11 64bit upgrade is on sale for $20. Can anyone tell me if they have encountered anything that should keep me from upgrading to v11? You've heard, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." I saw that some users said the GUI is dark-only? BTW, Sound Forge Audio Studio is overkill for me, as well as Reaper. All of my mic processing is outboard in the rack/anologue. I just do annoying commercials and Music Studio is so easy.
For reference, I was the first studio in FL to use SAW in the '90s and stayed with SAW until I went to Sony in 2011. Less is more for me. Thanks!

Comments

SP. wrote on 5/17/2024, 2:57 PM

@MarkInFL Acid Music Studio 11 is old. I believe it came out around the same time as Acid Pro 9 (2018?).

So you might consider an upgrade to Acid Pro 11 or Pro 11 Suite if you care for the additional stuff. I don't think that an upgrade was so cheap since version 11 came out as it is currently, $60-70. It was usually around $90-100.

Additional stuff:

Pro 11 Producer: 2 Brainworx Plug-ins, iZotope Ozone 11 Elements, Celemony Melodyne 5 essential, MAGIX Effects Suites, modernEQ

Pro 11 Suite: 5 Brainworx Plug-ins, iZotope Ozone 11 Elements, Celemony Melodyne 5 essential, MAGIX Effects Suites, dynamicEQ

Newer Acid versions have problems with VST plugins. They can crash the software easily. What usually helps is to load a VST chainer plugin first, for example the free Waves Studio Rack or paid plugins like DDMF Metaplugin or Plogue Bidule, and then to load all other plugins inside the chainer plugin, not inside Acid. This circumvents the buggy VST integration in Acid. A prevoius power user confirmed in an older forum topic that this lets Acid run stable without crashes.

Of course, if you think that's stupid, then I would advise you stay on your version and don't bother to upgrade. If it works fine for your purposes, why change?

MarkInFL wrote on 5/18/2024, 12:22 PM

Thanks SP. "Buggy" is something I don't need :-)
I don't use any outboard/3rd party VST's, only the EFX that come in the program. I was interested in getting a 64bit version (via AMS 11), but not at the expense of crashes. Just for reference, do you know if AMS 11 functions OK with the standard EFX that are included in the standard program (flange, graphic EQ, reverb, etc.)?

GRB wrote on 6/21/2024, 5:25 PM

There hasn't been "any" updates to AMS 11 since 2019 @SP. ? wow, if so.... I'd think since still selling it as current on site, and shows Windows 11 supported..... it would have at least a few bug fixes if no core improvements since 2019...

Cheers and may the Music Season be 24/7/365 !

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

GRB wrote on 6/21/2024, 5:29 PM

Hello-
I have been using ACID Music Studio 10.0.108 32bit (NOT PRO) since I purchased it from Sony. I've used it on Win7Pro, Win10Pro 64 and now Win11Pro 64 -- for Win10 & 11 I run it in Compatibility Mode for Win7. I do voice overs and audio for radio & TV commercials, mixing voice, music, EFX, etc. Never more than 8 tracks. Music Studio 10 32bit is working flawlessly for me, but the Music Studio 11 64bit upgrade is on sale for $20. Can anyone tell me if they have encountered anything that should keep me from upgrading to v11? You've heard, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." I saw that some users said the GUI is dark-only? BTW, Sound Forge Audio Studio is overkill for me, as well as Reaper. All of my mic processing is outboard in the rack/anologue. I just do annoying commercials and Music Studio is so easy.
For reference, I was the first studio in FL to use SAW in the '90s and stayed with SAW until I went to Sony in 2011. Less is more for me. Thanks!

Very cool on the Voiceovers and TV commercial audio! I'd love to hear more about that whole world.... Curious why and how Acid Music Studio is good for that too, I'd think Sound Forge Audio Studio would be better for that.... I'll send you a PM too, if open to sharing more....

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

GRB wrote on 6/25/2024, 11:39 AM

I haven't looked it up (googled) myself... I wonder what the differences where to AMS11 over previous AMS10.... Isn't that when Magix took it over and "reworked" it?

If you find it is something you want to consider for some new features (i'd think lots of new instruments/FX?) or possible stability/compatibility..... I suggest contacting Support and getting a copy of the newest/updated direct link sent to you, so you can avoid the "update issue" in AMS11... just word of advice :)

GRB wrote on 6/27/2024, 1:48 PM

AMS11 doesn't like my Win 11 laptop... so maybe void what I said above about upgrading to gain more features... if also on Win 11.... or update cautiously, try a trial version first !!!

For what its worth, I have successfully installed and ran Acid Pro 10 though. Probably not all the extra features you are looking for for Voiceovers though.

MarkInFL wrote on 6/29/2024, 10:22 AM

I did try the AMS11 64 trial in September 2019 and didn't like the dark interface, which was not changeable in the version I had. Because of that, I didn't get too deep into it. At that time, it was still $60USD. From what I'm reading, they haven't done an update since 2019. That's pretty lame. I think I'll stay with AMS10.0.108 32bit for now. I run it with both Win10 Pro 64 desktop and on my Win 11 Pro 64 laptop in compatibility mode, and it chugs along fine. I'll wait & see what Magix does later with the platform. Right now, it doesn't seem like they are very committed to the AMS line.