ASIO drivers

RoryS wrote on 1/30/2023, 8:41 AM

I am having problems with ASIO drivers. Everything seemed ok with the direct sound drivers but I can't get any of the ASIO drivers to work. ASIO low latency drivers work but they stop my USB microphone from working and I started having problems with tracks not always playing and some crashes when using Music Maker. The Music Maker ASIO drivers just give me heavily distorted sound and freezing in Music Maker. I am using an onboard Realtec ALC887 chipset. Is this just not good enough for ASIO?

Info

Music maker 64 bit version 31.0.3.26
Microphone Yeti Blue plus
Windows 10 64bit, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Comments

Graham-Hawker wrote on 1/30/2023, 9:53 AM

When I had distorted sound it was because things had set themselves to 48khz sound and when I set it back to 44.1khz it was fine.

RoryS wrote on 1/31/2023, 1:32 AM

Thanks Graham your message helped. I actually couldn't find the khz setting although I do recall seeing it somewhere!

However, I tried the Music Maker ASIO driver again. It works when I changed the driver to WASAPI (under the Advanced Settings of the Music Maker Audio Settings for anyone else who might be looking) or increasing the buffer size up from the 512 default value using the Direct Sound Driver which it defaulted to when selecting the ASIO driver initially.

Are you just meant to know this stuff or should the default settings work in most cases?

SP. wrote on 1/31/2023, 2:06 AM

@RoryS You can change the sample rate of your project in the Project Settings under the File > Settings menu.

Your USB microphone needs to be activated as an input in the Music Maker ASIO or Magix Low Latency settings by clicking on the "Advanced" button next to the driver selection. Otherwise it would not work.

Usually the default settings should work fine. Direct Sound and WASAPI should only be used if you don't have an audio interface with ASIO drivers and the included ASIO drivers like Music Maker ASIO or Magix Low Latency don't work with your computer. The problem is that the audio engine from Magix might miss features like live audio monitoring during recording if you don't use an ASIO driver.

RoryS wrote on 2/2/2023, 1:52 AM

Thanks @SP. My sample rate was ok actually so that wasn't the issue. I haven't had any problems since thankfully!