Buzzing audio for imported AVI files

Jim-Raines wrote on 5/20/2020, 9:25 PM

I captured video from a 8mm camcorder that creates AVI files. When I play them in Windows the audio is clear. When I import those AVI files into Movie Edit Pro Premium 2017, the audio has a buzzing sound over the whole track. I changed the Audio Sample Rate to be the same as the AVI file, but that did not help. Any ideas what is going on?

Comments

CubeAce wrote on 5/20/2020, 9:39 PM

@Jim-Raines

Hi Jim,

Can you try separating the audio from the video track and look at the waveform? Does is have repetitive spikes in time with the clicks? If it has spikes in the waveform then it's in the audio file. if it doesn't then there is a problem with MEP playing the file. Is the camcorder producing surround sound files?

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 2004 OS build 18041.329. Direct X 12. Bios version 1401 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives. Page file space 4.75GB.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code.

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU and Intel UHD Graphics 630 Vers 27.20.100.8336, with 32GB of 2133MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB SSD D: drive for current project. 1 x 320gig Toshiba M2.1 drive for Operating System. + x2 WD BLACK 2TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.I for internal backup and 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills. Total 8TB of three external WD drives for backup.

NVIDIA G Force GTX 1650 Super. DCH Driver version 442.92. 1280 CUDA cores. Memory interface 128bit Memory bandwidth 192.03GB/s 4GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x16 Gen3.

Running MEP Premium 19.0.2.58.

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

Jim-Raines wrote on 5/20/2020, 9:49 PM

The video plays clearly in windows. See attached.

Jim-Raines wrote on 5/20/2020, 9:50 PM

There appears to be something on the audio track. See the attached picture.

Jim-Raines wrote on 5/20/2020, 10:01 PM

I just imported the same clip into Adobe Premier Elements and the audio plays clear and when rendered, produces clear audio. Any idea what is up with MEPP?

johnebaker wrote on 5/21/2020, 3:21 AM

@Jim-Raines

Hi and welcome to the forum.

. . . . captured video from a 8mm camcorder that creates AVI files . . .

What device and software did you use for this?

The issue you are having looks like and audio codec/bitrate/samplerate issue.

Can you analyse the video clip with MediaInfo and post the results from the Text view - - MediaInfo will tell us what you are dealing with.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Lateral thinking can get things done!

VPX, MEP Premium, MEP 2016, and earlier versions, Music Maker Premium, Music Maker 2016, 2015.

Running Windows 10 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb + 2 x 2Tb internal HDD + 60Gb internal SSD, + 6 x 2Tb ext HDDs, Sony FDR-AX53 Video camera, Contour HD 1080 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Jim-Raines wrote on 5/21/2020, 9:12 PM

8mm camcorder & FireWire Application to capture AVI. Here is Text View:

General
Complete name                            : D:\Video\Raw\2020\Created MP4\10271994_03071995.avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
Commercial name                          : DVCPRO
Format profile                           : OpenDML
File size                                : 25.2 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 2 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 29.5 Mb/s

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : DV
Commercial name                          : DVCPRO
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 24.4 Mb/s
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (29970/1000) FPS
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:1:1
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Bottom Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.357
Stream size                              : 24.6 GiB (98%)
Encoding settings                        : wb mode= / white balance= / fcm=manual focus

Audio #1
ID                                       : 0-0
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Big / Signed
Muxing mode                              : DV
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Bit rate                                 : 768 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 32.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 12 bits
Stream size                              : 672 MiB (3%)

Audio #2
ID                                       : 0-1
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Big / Signed
Muxing mode                              : DV
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Bit rate                                 : 768 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 32.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 12 bits
Stream size                              : 672 MiB (3%)

Jim-Raines wrote on 5/21/2020, 9:13 PM

I have no audio troubles when using VLC, Adobe Premier Elements, or Shotcut.

me_again wrote on 5/22/2020, 12:39 AM

Greetings,

In older versions of MEP I've occasionally had audio problems with imported AVIs.

If memory serves me well, I had some success with "curing" the audio noise by going to File-Settings-Program-Import/Export and under Import Formats unchecking AVI Import Module.

I assume this then lets MEP use the Windows AVI system although I'm quite prepared to be shot down in flames over that.

Unchecking this import module must be done before importing the AVI and also must be done every time you open MEP as the setting is not saved.

As I said earlier "if memory serves" and I'm probing the recesses of ancient mind. It may not work with "modern" versions of MEP but there's nothing to lose by trying (I don't think - again I'm prepared to be shot down).

Just out of curiosity, did you trying to capture direct into MEP with Firewire. I used to be able to with my old SONY DV camera.

Or maybe capture the audio to MP3 or similar. Or just use something, such as free Avidemux, to convert the audio of what you already have to a format MEP likes?

Just a thought

AndyW

"I started life with nothing and still have most of it left."

Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4Ghz, No onboard Intel video, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750ti driver updated monthly, 16Gb ram, System drive 500Gb NTFS, dedicated video/audio drive 500Gb NTFS, USB3 expansion drive 1.5Tb (original archives), Sound chip onboard Realtek, Windows 10 (whatever version is current)

emmrecs wrote on 5/22/2020, 3:57 AM

@Jim-Raines

From the MediaInfo data various things strike me.

First, that audio seems to have two streams; this is known to give MEP problems.

Second, and perhaps more pertinent here, the audio sampling rate is 32kHz (MEP will almost certainly be expecting 48kHz) and the bit depth of 12 bits is, in my experience, "unusual". I would try, as a first step, using a video file convertor like Handbrake or the paid-for (but very useful) MovAvi Convertor to change the audio to 48kHz and 16 bit.

I would also like to echo the question/suggestion in @me_again's post, about capturing direct into MEP with Firewire.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, Photo Story Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D

johnebaker wrote on 5/22/2020, 4:45 AM

@Jim-Raines, @me_again, @emmrecs

Hi Jim

Thanks for the MediaInfo analysis.

The issue is the FireWire Application that captured the AVI has created a Type 2 AVI file, ie it has 2 audio streams, MEP can only use one stream.

Try this first - in MEP, right click the audio track and select Switch current audio track and select the other audio channel if this option is available - you should now hear the audio correctly.

If that does not work use DVDate to convert the AVI to a Type 1 (single audio stream) format - make a backup copy of the AVI first, and import the converted file into MEP.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/22/2020, 4:49 AM, changed a total of 5 times.

Lateral thinking can get things done!

VPX, MEP Premium, MEP 2016, and earlier versions, Music Maker Premium, Music Maker 2016, 2015.

Running Windows 10 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb + 2 x 2Tb internal HDD + 60Gb internal SSD, + 6 x 2Tb ext HDDs, Sony FDR-AX53 Video camera, Contour HD 1080 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Jim-Raines wrote on 5/22/2020, 5:13 PM

Thank you all, I appreciate the input. I need to use the intermediate FireWire App because I am passing video from a 8mm camcorder through my FireWire DV Camcorder to my PC. If I try to use MEP directly, it controls my DV Camcorder (i.e. turns it to video mode) so I cannot pass video through.

I did not see the "Switch current audio track" option. As mentioned above, I have a couple of options that work, so I am good now. Thank you for your support.