Can I sell music with sounds made from Sound Forge and/or Sampiltude​?

Hacked.Fusion01 wrote on 6/6/2018, 10:25 PM

Hi so I get that you can't sell any music made with soundpools you brought from Magix Music Maker unless you get the pro license (which I wish was stated before I brought the software).

But I'm still hopeful.

I have Sound Forge and Sampiltude Music Studio and I hadn't seen any questions about this but I felt the need to ask before I completely give up on making music.

What If I were to use those two programs​ to create​ my own sounds and loops and use those (my own unique creations) in Music Maker to make my own music. Would I be able to sell that?

(Also make it more clear that if one wants to sell music solely made in Magix Music Maker or just share it publicly that they need a license! It would save so many people from needless trouble. Thank you.)

Comments

jrb101 wrote on 6/8/2018, 4:28 AM

I would assume that if you used Samplitude to create new loops from basic sounds (royalty-free drum samples, commercially bought drum samples from somewhere like Time+Space, or VST drum synths like FXpansion Geist or BFD3 etc.), then mixed those using Music Maker, that you would be free to sell the work as it is your own original work.

I do a lot of composition in other Digital Audio Workstations and as long as you are the composer, you have every right to sell the work. As you've noticed though, the Magix Music Maker Soundpools are not royalty-free unless you buy a "pro" which is quite unusual for samples, but I guess that's Magix decision to make, so just make sure you don't use any of their pre-made samples and you should be fine.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Jon Baker

robertNC wrote on 6/14/2018, 8:23 PM

If you make your own sounds, like, from a synth that you own, hardware or software virtual instrument, then, generally, you're free to do whatever you want with them, even obtain copyrights. Using pre-made loops just depends on their terms of service. As JB says, Magix sells pro licenses for their soundpools/acid loops if you want to commercially use them in compositions.

I tend to agree - I think it would be less hassle for modern users if purchased loops came with commercial rights, rather than requiring a secondary purchase of a pro license. To my understanding, however, a lot of the older soundpools have major discounts on pro licenses, so the way things are is probably not too bad, once you understand how the setup works.

P.D.H.1. wrote on 7/31/2018, 12:36 PM

What are some of the Venues for Licensing our music for Commercial Use. Could you please direct me to some sites where I can: upload the track; set the Commercial price for the track; market them so traffic can flow to my store on the site; etc.?

johnebaker wrote on 7/31/2018, 2:04 PM

@P.D.H.1.

Hi

. . . . What are some of the Venues for Licensing our music for Commercial Use . . .

Licensing is not done by venue, it is for the commercial use of the Soundpools that are with or purchased in the Magix software eg Music Maker, Samplitude, Acid Pro etc..

For commercial use see this article - licences are only obtainable from Producer Planet.

To help you with getting the best from the forum please read this topic.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/31/2018, 2:04 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

P.D.H.1. wrote on 7/31/2018, 2:14 PM

@johnebaker I see. But, I am not interested in creating a loop or sample library CD. I am interested in making a track(s) available to be licensed by someone creating videos of digital art, etc.

johnebaker wrote on 8/1/2018, 3:53 AM

@P.D.H.1.

. . . . I am not interested in creating a loop or sample library CD . . . .

The article I linked to - Commercial Use of Music Maker Sounds and Loops - first paragraph of text clearly states:

'We often get people asking us whether songs created with Music Maker or Music Maker Jam can be published on the Internet or used commercially.'

Nowhere is it mentioned about licensing for creating a loop or sample library CD's.

. . . . I am interested in making a track(s) available to be licensed by someone creating videos of digital art, etc. . . . .

Then you need the appropriate commercial licence if you use any of the Soundpool loops in the tracks you create.

If you are 'licensing' your creations, which must be original works, then you should see a copyright/licencing lawyer.

HTH

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.