Channel Converter

sirshambling wrote on 8/21/2020, 11:04 AM

I am running Sound Forge Pro 14 and the program updated this morning to Build 111. Sadly on using the new build the Process called Channel Converter fails.

After highlighting the usual 2 channels in a stereo file I click on Channel Converter and I get an error message which says

"The number of channels cannot be less than 1"

This message cannot be closed so Sound Forge Pro hangs and can only be closed via Task Manager.

I have tried to submit a Support ticket for this but I am told that my Registration of Sound Forge 14 (9 August) is now too old for a support ticket. So I'd be very grateful for any help from the community.

PS This problem arises in both 64 bit and 32 bit Sound Forge Pro 14.

Thank you. John.

Comments

rraud wrote on 8/21/2020, 2:52 PM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge forum @sirshambling.

I just updated to the latest build (111), though it took a few tries though to get it to install. Something is definitely forked up. After the update downloaded and SF attempted to restart, I got the error message: "Your PC must have Win 7 or 8" (or something to that effect). Relaunching SF again resulted in the same "Update Available" message, I then went through the same update sequence .. same error message. ..Repeat.. On the forth try, Pro 14 update installed, SF launched, reactivated and opened normally.

I then checked the 'Channel Converter' and get the same error' The number of channels cannot be less than 1" Something is forked-up' An I will contact 'the deep thinkers' at Magix support, I suggest you do the same. This obviously a bug with Build 111, since it worked a few minutes before with the previous build.

btw, Sending an on-line support request is confusing to say the least, but do not blame me. I do not know if it is due to incompetence or if it is intentional to avoid requests. Anyway, follow 'my' instructions below.
1- Select "SUPPORT" at the top of the forum page
2- Click the "Ask Support" box on bottom right of the page
3- Under "I NEED HELP WITH" >> choose "Music" or other generalized category, ignoring the "Perhaps this will help you" option
4- Further down on the page choose your application (again): (SOUND FORGE Pro or Audio Studio)
5- At the bottom-right, click the blue button "SEARCH FOR OTHER SOLUTIONS"
6- Enter a keyword, such as 'MP3' and click the "FIND A SOLUTION" button
7- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "SEND A SUPPORT REQUEST"
8- Log in to your account again if necessary
9- If so desired, your can change the subject text (which is the previously entered keyword)
10- "Describe your issue as detailed as possible" in the text box.

sirshambling wrote on 8/22/2020, 5:26 AM

Thank you rraud for replying to my problem. It is sad to know you are having issues with Sound Forge 14 as well.

But since you confirm my Channel Converter problem at least I'm not doing anything stupid.

Thanks very much for your instructions on submitting a MAGIX support request - really helpful. I've submitted my issue on Channel Converter but got no acknowledgement. I hope you have submitted a Sound Forge Pro support request as well.

Now we must wait until MAGIX does something!

rraud wrote on 8/22/2020, 9:52 AM

I was able to install the build 111 update in the x86 version of Pro 14, but not in the 64 bit, so I downloaded the fuii installer and did a repair install of the x64 version, re-activated and all is well aside form 'Channel Convert' bug which persists in both versions . I have notified the developers but some support requests may speed things up..

dan-ranalli wrote on 8/30/2020, 10:44 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. Same channel converter message.

sirshambling wrote on 8/30/2020, 11:31 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. Same channel converter message.

Please send a MAGIX support request as shown by rraud above - everybody who writes will help to make MAGIX sort this out.

Thank you. John.

dnulf wrote on 9/18/2020, 3:26 PM

I've submitted a support request to get this issue fixed as well.

dan-ranalli wrote on 9/20/2020, 9:20 AM

I finally was able to file a support ticket request. The process is so convoluted, I was surprised when I got to correct page!

rraud wrote on 9/20/2020, 12:56 PM

"The process is so convoluted"
Yes it is. I recently posted instructions that had fourteen (14) or so steps to request a tech support ticket.

dnulf wrote on 9/21/2020, 8:12 AM

Hi, Forgers. I received an update to the support ticket. It reads:

"Thank you for your message.  This error is a bug caused by the recent update to Sound Forge Pro 14 (build 111).  This is known to the developers and they are now working on an update that will correct this.  There is not an exact date yet for when this update will become available, but in the meantime, I am sending you the patch so that you can install the previous build number of SFP14 (build 65) in which the channel converter works.  The file is too big to send from this email, so I am sending it via WeTransfer, so please be on the lookout for a WeTransfer notice--you may need to check your spam folder for it.  I hope this is helpful for you, and we wish you a great day!"

And then another email from WeTransfer to the previous build for downloading. Here's the link (expires Sept 28)

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/d5879bfe81f554bcfd012de6d632f79120200921061821/f03cc72d033da294b239b07ad959a00820200921061821/2c7042

Note: This install requires you to uninstall your current version (since this download build is older).

sirshambling wrote on 9/21/2020, 10:44 AM

Hi, Forgers. I received an update to the support ticket. It reads:

"Thank you for your message.  This error is a bug caused by the recent update to Sound Forge Pro 14 (build 111).  This is known to the developers and they are now working on an update that will correct this.  There is not an exact date yet for when this update will become available, but in the meantime, I am sending you the patch so that you can install the previous build number of SFP14 (build 65) in which the channel converter works.  The file is too big to send from this email, so I am sending it via WeTransfer, so please be on the lookout for a WeTransfer notice--you may need to check your spam folder for it.  I hope this is helpful for you, and we wish you a great day!"

And then another email from WeTransfer to the previous build for downloading. Here's the link (expires Sept 28)

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/d5879bfe81f554bcfd012de6d632f79120200921061821/f03cc72d033da294b239b07ad959a00820200921061821/2c7042

Note: This install requires you to uninstall your current version (since this download build is older).

Thanks very much for this info dnulf. I will try out the patch right now.

For reasons known only to Magix I have never received anything from them on my support ticket - not even an acknowledgement to say they got it.

We will have to wait longer for a fix.

rraud wrote on 9/21/2020, 11:44 AM

Thank-you for your comment on this issue @dnulf, this should help folks who urgently need the channel converter.

sirshambling wrote on 9/21/2020, 11:57 AM

Thank-you for your comment on this issue @dnulf, this should help folks who urgently need the channel converter.

Yes indeed really helpful. I can confirm that if you uninstall the 64 bit version of SF 14 then reinstall using the patch it installs build 65 of the 64 bit SF 14. And the Channel Converter works fine!

Really happy! Thanks to everybody for their help esp @dnulf

Please note the patch is only the 64 bit version of SF 14. The 32 bit version is NOT included.

dnulf wrote on 1/4/2022, 11:06 AM

Well, I mistakenly upgraded SF 14 from build 65 to 140, and the problem still persists.

Does anyone know if the channel converter is fixed in SF 15?

rraud wrote on 1/4/2022, 12:27 PM

Channel Converter works for me in SFP-15. Try the trial version.

The channel converter was allegedly fixed in SFP-14, I do not recall exactly when, but it works in build 140,. You may try reinstalling SFP-14, build 140 again, but use a third-party uninstaller like 'Revo Uninstall' that can remove left-over registry entries and other pertinent data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which is usually the root of recurring issues
Revo Uninstall has pro and freeware versions, the free version is always worked for me, If you have mulitble versions of SF installed, do not delete the shared files such as plug-ins Revo gives you the option to choose which leftover files to delete after the scan.

dnulf wrote on 1/5/2022, 7:57 AM

Channel Converter works for me in SFP-15. Try the trial version.

The channel converter was allegedly fixed in SFP-14, I do not recall exactly when, but it works in build 140,. You may try reinstalling SFP-14, build 140 again, but use a third-party uninstaller like 'Revo Uninstall' that can remove left-over registry entries and other pertinent data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which is usually the root of recurring issues
Revo Uninstall has pro and freeware versions, the free version is always worked for me, If you have mulitble versions of SF installed, do not delete the shared files such as plug-ins Revo gives you the option to choose which leftover files to delete after the scan.

Hey @rraud, I received a fantastic response:

"Greetings from Sound Forge Support,

Thank you for contacting us.  There were some issues that arose with build 140, if I recall correctly...this is why they completely redesigned the batch converter for version 15.  If you can give me the email you use to register your Magix programs, I would be happy to upgrade you to version 15.  If you don't wish to do that (because the batch converter is quite different, and maybe not what you're used to), then here is a link to build 65...you will need to uninstall build 140 before you run the installer for build 65, but it should fix the issue for you.  Here is the link:

https://we.tl/t-51TxzrQxog

I hope this is helpful for you and we wish you a great day!

--
Best regards,

MAGIX Software GmbH
Name Removed
Supportmanager
Berliner Str. 13
01067 Dresden - Germany"

So if anyone else is having this same issue, grab build 65 for SF14 in that link above before it expires.

Cheers!

Last changed by emmrecs on 1/5/2022, 8:33 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Reason: To remove name of Magix personnel, publication of which is forbidden under Community rules

rraud wrote on 1/5/2022, 10:18 AM

That was nice of Magix to offer you a free upgrade.

dnulf wrote on 1/6/2022, 8:00 AM

That was nice of Magix to offer you a free upgrade.

Totally! Couldn't believe it. They are definitely making strides to improve their customer support.

Now, the Batch Converter is completely new in SF15 and will take some adjustment on my end. For example, I wanted to load up a .BJ file that was previously created, but there's not a "Load batch file" option. You must make a new folder that SF knows about, copy/paste the .BJ into there, and then it's saved as a Preset to select. Kinda awkward at first. What's your opinion of it?

rraud wrote on 1/6/2022, 11:27 AM

I have an 'old dog/new tricks' disposition. The leaning curve is not that steep though, I do not use the batch tool much, but in my limited usage, the context menus are messed up wwhen selected on my laptop when using the touchpad, but display normally with a mouse which could be isolated to me system Otherwise, I like the option to encode multiple formats in the batch.