Doesn't record what is played

EchoVanderBlack wrote on 4/27/2024, 9:23 AM

New to MM, pretty much evaluating it to see if it satisfies my needs. So far so good but I have noticed a big problem.

When hitting a note and affecting it with a filter, recording doesnt capture the sound shifting and being distorted, it just captures the flat note being depressed, is that intentional? If so this is a big negative for what I need.

Also now and again, there is a disconnect when recording, the instrument I have just played no longer records, are these known issues or limitations?

I am using the Surrealistic MG-1 Plus VST3 and simply recording hitting a note while shifting the filter on the instrument. What is recorded is not true to what is heard.

Comments

SP. wrote on 4/27/2024, 9:27 AM

@EchoVanderBlack Are your recording MIDI CC values to change the filters?

EchoVanderBlack wrote on 4/27/2024, 9:29 AM

I am using a minilab3 and just hitting the keys on the VST3 synth as purchased from your store. The filter specifically is on the keyboard layout, I just use the slider recording as I hold the key.

browj2 wrote on 4/27/2024, 10:18 AM

@EchoVanderBlack

Hi,

You cannot record anything by pressing on the notes/keyboard of a synth; the synth keyboard is just for previewing. You have to use the Music Maker Keyboard or an external keyboard.

The following, part 2, shows recording using VSTi's

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

EchoVanderBlack wrote on 4/27/2024, 10:21 AM

@browj2 Sorry, didnt explain myself very well. I am using a minilab 3 to hit the notes, I am not using the synth's preview keyboard as I am aware that is just for previewing. Right now, after trying other synths it seems that MM doesnt record filter changes.

SP. wrote on 4/27/2024, 10:23 AM

@EchoVanderBlack Ok, I checked out the instrument and it is somewhat complicated to get it working if you don't use an external MIDI device, like for example a MIDI keyboard. But it is still possible.

1. Create an empty MIDI object on the track, where MG-1 is loaded, via right click > Create new MIDI object > Empty (1 bar).
  2. Open the MIDI object in the MIDI Editor by double clicking it. Navigate to the controller curves and select a curve number of your choice. For example, I selected curve 3.
  3. Draw values into the selected curve. I used the pen tool to do this.
  4. Right click on the filter slider in the MG-1 user interface and select MIDI learn.
  5. If you now play back your project, the filter slider receives the curve data and will be mapped to the curve.
  6. If you want to map other curves to other controls, then completely delete MIDI object, create a new empty one and draw a curve with another curve number. The repeat the MIDI learn step. Save your project as a template so you don't have to repeat the steps with each new project.
  7. To change the VST controls during the song, you simply need to draw a curve.

Here I have a video of the steps you need to take.

It is much easier with a real MIDI keyboard. There you only need to activate MIDI learn und then move a slider or knob on your keyboard while recording.

Or you could use Samplitude Music Studio instead of Music Maker.

EchoVanderBlack wrote on 4/27/2024, 10:24 AM

@SP. Just to restate, I am using a minilab3 for all interactions, I do not use the synths preview keyboard.

SP. wrote on 4/27/2024, 10:27 AM

@EchoVanderBlack Ok, then simply right click on the control you want to change, select MIDI learn and wiggle a knob or fader on your keyboard. That's it. Then you should be able to record the changes made with your keyboard.

EchoVanderBlack wrote on 4/27/2024, 10:36 AM

@SP.That got me smiling again! thanks a bunch.