Editing Bitmaps - Outside software

Kelley-Kuhlman wrote on 3/15/2023, 12:51 PM

I was able to use Affinity Photo 1 as an outside bitmap editor, but Version 2 doesn't work the same. I have tried Photoshop Elements, Gimp, and Paintshop Pro, to no avail. After I edit in the outside software, it no longer puts the newly edited image into XDP. The unedited version of my image is still there. There are so many things I love about this software, but also a lot of frustration. I have never been able to use the built-in photo editing because the Designer freezes every time. I also need better selection tools and that is why I have to use outside apps or software. I really need this to work. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 3/15/2023, 1:21 PM

@Kelley-Kuhlman

I don't have XDP but I do have and use Affinity Photo, versions 1 and 2.

I'm not certain this will be helpful to you, therefore, but which installer version of Affinity Photo 2 do you have? The original release used an .msix installer, so the program was automatically installed in the sandboxed (i.e., "protected") location of "Windows Apps", C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\.

Because this version produced so many problems for users (most commonly the inability to access the program from third-party apps or, in my case, the inability to set the program as the default for opening image files) Serif created and have now released an .msi version of the installer, which allows the app to be installed exactly where the user decides, most commonly C:\Program Files\Affinity. The .msi version is downloadable from your Affinity account.

I originally had the .msix version but now have the .msi version. I uninstalled the former once I was sure the latter was properly installed and had "picked up" all my settings from the previous install.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Last changed by emmrecs on 3/15/2023, 1:23 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Kelley-Kuhlman wrote on 3/15/2023, 1:47 PM

Oh that does help. I will look for that .msi and see if it helps. I appreciate the reply. Kelley

Kelley-Kuhlman wrote on 3/15/2023, 3:02 PM

It worked!!!! Thank you so much. Kelley

emmrecs wrote on 3/15/2023, 4:47 PM

@Kelley-Kuhlman

Excellent news! Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Kelley-Kuhlman wrote on 3/16/2023, 3:18 PM

Hello again, do you know of any other editing software that works well with Designer ProX? Unfortunately, the above did work, however, it won't work with my other affinity software and I also have to install the msix version. My hard drive is getting full :( Thanks-Kelley

Kelley-Kuhlman wrote on 3/16/2023, 3:22 PM

Actually, it is okay as it only added 192mb. Thanks

emmrecs wrote on 3/17/2023, 4:08 AM

@Kelley-Kuhlman

Sorry to hear things are not fully working as they should.

But why do you have to install the msix version? There should be no problem in doing this, I think, but the two versions are mutually exclusive, i.e., anything you can do in one you can also do in the other. As I wrote before, I first had the .msix version but when the .msi was released I installed that and completely removed the .msix. I have experienced no problems since doing this.

Or, re-reading an earlier post, do you mean you also have Affinity Designer and Publisher and the Studio Link facility is not working because you have Photo.msi rather than Photo.msix? If so, you need to install the .msi versions of Designer and Publisher!

Jeff

Kelley-Kuhlman wrote on 3/18/2023, 12:30 PM

I had to reinstall the msix version because in Affinity Publisher or Designer, you can edit in Affinity Photo by just clicking a tab. I have the msix versions of those products and they won't link to the msi photo 2. I use Affinity for almost everything so I need them connected. I guess I could install all msi versions and that would solve having two. I will look into that instead. Thanks for all your help and feedback.

emmrecs wrote on 3/18/2023, 1:48 PM

@Kelley-Kuhlman

Yes, as I mentioned, if it is the Studio Link, aka “Edit in..” that you want then the three apps need to be of the same type, either all .msix or all .msi.

Jeff

Kelley-Kuhlman wrote on 3/31/2023, 8:17 AM

Just as a final follow up – I have clip studio and found it to work perfectly as my external editor.