Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/4/2018, 3:04 PM

HI

. . . . My computer doesn't have a CD box. I saved the track in my documents . . . .

Do you mean you do not have a CD/DVD drive in your computer?

If so how did you get the .cda file into the computer?

. . . . cannot use "open" for a .cda file . . . .

A CDA does not contain any audio - it is a shortcut file that points to the actual audio file which is 'hidden' on a CD.

Depending upon your location 'ripping' commercial CD's may be breaking your countries copyright laws.

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

elenice-hanna wrote on 1/4/2018, 3:47 PM

Yes, it doesn't have a CD drive, it's a new machine. I saved the file to a pendrive in my older computer. What about my question?

emmrecs wrote on 1/6/2018, 4:04 AM

Hi.

I think you are attempting something "impossible" here! If your computer does not have a CD/DVD drive you cannot "Extract from CD" because no CD exists as far as Sound Forge and your PC are concerned! The program AND your computer can only extract from a real, physical, disc!

When you "copied" the contents of the CD to your pendrive on your old computer, your mention of .cda files means that you actually copied only the shortcut files which point to but are not the actual audio files(as John EB pointed out); you need to ensure you are copying the actual audio files but you cannot do this simply by "copy and paste" or "drag and drop" or any other "standard" Windows copy process. Instead, you will need to use a program that allows you to "rip" the audio from the original CD (on your old computer) and then transfer those files to your pendrive, and then open them on your new computer.

However, as John also pointed out, the ripping of files from a CD may be illegal in your country.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

elenice-hanna wrote on 1/7/2018, 3:30 PM

Dear Jeff, your answer was very helpful for my level of knowledge, thank you so much for taking the time to write all the detailed information.

In time, do you think I can use of the serial number of the Sound Forge in the computer that have a CD drive after having installed in the new computer without it?

Thanks a lot!

rraud wrote on 1/8/2018, 1:48 PM

I recall Magix allows SF Pro 11 to be registered and assigned to only two PCs at a time, for instance, if you have a desktop and laptop it can be registered and operational on both. It can be installed on additional PCs, but registered to only two at a time. The registration can be changed back and forth online though.. allegedly quick and easy, if you need it more than two computers. I would imagination, AS-12 is the same. To add to the confusion, prior to SF Pro-11, SF, Vegas, ect. could be installed, registered and operational on many, though you were only supposed to use one at any given time. After many installations SCS could lock it, but would unlock it on request, providing it was originally registered to you.