I dont want ads !

andrew-pgh wrote on 5/7/2023, 3:12 PM

Good day,

I recently purchased magix Movie studio 2023. It came with a load of other software, music maker is one of them.

I am getting ads for special savings on various MAGIX products when I start my computer.

I already found and uninstalled some type of magix notifier program from the installed bundle.

However... the ads continue.

I do NOT want my computer running unnecessary things in the background and I especially do not want to be reminded everytime I boot up on things I have no desire to buy.

I do not want to turn off these programs, if possible I want to remove them.

I will attempt to upload 2 images.

One shows the Magix components installed and one of the ads I get in the lower right corner.

One shows a suspicious generically named file in the startup program list. I might disable this and see if it stops the ads.

How do I stop this and remove the offending notifier(s)??

Your wisdom would be much appreciated!

Comments

SP. wrote on 5/7/2023, 4:14 PM

@andrew-pgh The program showing the Ads is usually called Update Notifier.

You can either disable it in the Autostart or uninstall it from Windows Apps and Features.

If you install a Magix software it will ask you if you want to install additional software (a checkbox). Next time you need to configure the additional software and disable to install update notifier and maybe some other unnecessary programs like the Simplitec suite.

You might still get advertisements in Movie Studio itself. You should be able to disable them via the gear icon in the advertisement window or via the program settings.

I'm personally not a fan of how Magix handles this advertisement integration and it's not really clear to the average user how to get rid of it. I personally use it to track the prices for upgrades. It easier for me to see it on my desktop instead of regularly checking the website.

andrew-pgh wrote on 5/7/2023, 6:59 PM

@andrew-pgh The program showing the Ads is usually called Update Notifier.

You can either disable it in the Autostart or uninstall it from Windows Apps and Features.

If you install a Magix software it will ask you if you want to install additional software (a checkbox). Next time you need to configure the additional software and disable to install update notifier and maybe some other unnecessary programs like the Simplitec suite.

You might still get advertisements in Movie Studio itself. You should be able to disable them via the gear icon in the advertisement window or via the program settings.

I'm personally not a fan of how Magix handles this advertisement integration and it's not really clear to the average user how to get rid of it. I personally use it to track the prices for upgrades. It easier for me to see it on my desktop instead of regularly checking the website.

Yeah, Update Notifier was uninstalled.It no longer shows up in the task manager.

BUT I AM STILL GETTING THE ADS..... when I boot up.

I am NOT running the software when this happens.

And I AM NOT complaining about ads in my email (got as message from Magix saying I can change my email notification setting).

They show up in the lower right corner like in the photo.

Anyone have a solution?

johnebaker wrote on 5/8/2023, 12:11 AM

@andrew-pgh

Hi

. . . . Update Notifier . . . .

This was installed with your Music Maker install, when you installed Movie Studio 2023 the newer version of Update Notifier - Magix Cloud Import - was installed, this can be seen in you image of installed apps - uninstall this.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/8/2023, 12:20 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

andrew-pgh wrote on 5/12/2023, 10:35 PM

Johnbaker, thanks, I just uninstalled, hope it works.

andrew-pgh wrote on 5/13/2023, 10:58 AM

The ad software has survived my second attempt to remove it.

First to go was update notifier, Now Magix Cloud Import.

JohnB suggested I remove / uninstall Magix Cloud Import, which I did last night.

This morning on boot-up (after complete power down last night), another ad teling me I can get 79% off something I do not want to buy.

It might seem minor, but I want my system to behave the way I choose. I do not want all sorts of software browsing the net for bargains and deals or suggestions and who knows what else. I find it extremely annoying.

Which raises another question...

Is there an email to tech support for Magix, or do they rely totally on user forum only to solve issues?

A.

andrew-pgh wrote on 5/13/2023, 11:11 AM

I just took a look at the running processes on my computer. In the background processes there was something called "connect" and it had a little icon that looked like the magix icon, square with 3 slight diagonal lines.

I stopped the process. The ad went away.

How do I turn off CONNECT permanently or stop it from running for ads?

johnebaker wrote on 5/13/2023, 1:53 PM

@andrew-pgh

Hi

. . . . . background processes there was something called "connect" . . . .

This sounds like you have, or have had, multiple different Magix programs installed.

Look for any of the following:- Magix Connect, Connect, Update Notifier* and Network Sync all by Magix and uninstall all found.

* Be careful there is another Windows install with a similar name.

HTH

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.