I have to pay $208 for the commercial licenses for the soundpools

Centerofthestorm wrote on 2/29/2020, 6:46 PM

I just bought the Music Maker Premium edition today. I was in the process of setting everything up. I went to the soundpools and soundpool collections. I selected the items I'm interested in and clicked on the commercial license and I'm confused. Why do we have to pay for the commercial license for the items that we get for buying a specific edition? There's nothing on the sales page that says you have to purchase an additional license for the products included in your purchase. Did I miss something?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 3/1/2020, 7:07 AM

@Centerofthestorm

Welcome to the Magix forums.

Soundpools offered as extras/free with the purchase of MusicMaker are licensed for "non-commercial" use. If you wish to use them commercially you have to buy the commercial license.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Centerofthestorm wrote on 3/1/2020, 9:09 AM

@Centerofthestorm

Welcome to the Magix forums.

Soundpools offered as extras/free with the purchase of MusicMaker are licensed for "non-commercial" use. If you wish to use them commercially you have to buy the commercial license.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the quick response. I'll be putting in my refund request as soon as I finish this post. They should put that important fact on the salespage. I wouldnt have bought this software if I had known that little fact.

browj2 wrote on 3/1/2020, 10:02 AM

@Centerofthestorm

Hi,

You don't have to pay extra for the Soundpools which you select with credits or purchase, unless you want and need the Commercial License. How do you know that you want the Commercial License until you use them? Only pay extra for Soundpools for which you actually need a Commercial License.

Licensing conditions are covered by the EULA which you can open on the bottom of the Magix.com site.

See here for Music Maker EULA.

The Music Maker program is free; it's the add-ons that you pay for if you want them either by getting Plus, Premium, a Special Edition, or purchasing piecemeal. Always check the EULA before purchasing any software.

Also, when you installed Music Maker, the program, the Welcome screen has a link to "License agreements & Privacy Statement" and the button at the bottom says "Agree and Install." Did you read the License agreement before agreeing to it?

All Soundpools available in the Store have a note that they are for non-commercial use.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Centerofthestorm wrote on 3/1/2020, 11:24 AM

@Centerofthestorm

Hi,

You don't have to pay extra for the Soundpools which you select with credits or purchase, unless you want and need the Commercial License. How do you know that you want the Commercial License until you use them? Only pay extra for Soundpools for which you actually need a Commercial License.

Licensing conditions are covered by the EULA which you can open on the bottom of the Magix.com site.

See here for Music Maker EULA.

The Music Maker program is free; it's the add-ons that you pay for if you want them either by getting Plus, Premium, a Special Edition, or purchasing piecemeal. Always check the EULA before purchasing any software.

Also, when you installed Music Maker, the program, the Welcome screen has a link to "License agreements & Privacy Statement" and the button at the bottom says "Agree and Install." Did you read the License agreement before agreeing to it?

All Soundpools available in the Store have a note that they are for non-commercial use.

John CB

Thanks for your response John. My intent for buying the software was to create music I would sell. Thanks for the link to the EULA. Nothing in there talks about having to pay additional money for a commercial license for the soundpools and soundpool collection that you get as part of your initial purchase of the software.

Nothing on the sales page in the section that talks about soundpools and soundpool collection say anything about having to make additional purchases for each commercial license in order to use them for commercial purposes.

The store inside the software doesn't tell you about the commercial license until you are ready to purchase the item.

It's a reoccurring theme...you don't get told until the very last step.

emmrecs wrote on 4/17/2020, 4:46 AM

@colin-hardman

A shame your only post to the forums is a rant, and hence in contravention of the Community rules, to be found in the footer of any forum page. Since it also contains factually wholly incorrect statements it has been hidden.

This thread was about the use of Soundpools for "Commercial Use", i.e. to "make money". You yourself write that the soundpools were free for personal use; quite correct, and they still are!  Nothing has changed in this regard at all!

So, please do NOT post incorrect information or your access to the forums will be removed. Thank you.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Equalizer wrote on 3/16/2021, 11:17 AM

I had a question on those "included" packs - I assumed they would be the non-commercial license, didn't think it would be that gracious an offer for the three sound pools. :) Is there a way to get them but just pay the different for the commercial license? Or one has to basically buy them all over again if one wants the commercial license? Thanks!

SP. wrote on 3/16/2021, 11:31 AM

@Equalizer You need to buy them all over again, for the full price.

Equalizer wrote on 3/16/2021, 11:33 AM

@Equalizer You need to buy them all over again, for the full price.

Thanks - I pretty much assumed that would be it. :( (would much rather just have one commercial pack included instead of the three "lite" ones) Ah well. at least it's one of the least expensive pieces of software I've purchased. :)

Centerofthestorm wrote on 3/16/2021, 4:19 PM

@colin-hardman

A shame your only post to the forums is a rant, and hence in contravention of the Community rules, to be found in the footer of any forum page. Since it also contains factually wholly incorrect statements it has been hidden.

This thread was about the use of Soundpools for "Commercial Use", i.e. to "make money". You yourself write that the soundpools were free for personal use; quite correct, and they still are!  Nothing has changed in this regard at all!

So, please do NOT post incorrect information or your access to the forums will be removed. Thank you.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

What exactly did I post that was incorrect?

SP. wrote on 3/16/2021, 4:46 PM

@Centerofthestorm The comment was about another user called "colin-hardman" and his post was probably deleted because of ranting.

Centerofthestorm wrote on 3/16/2021, 7:17 PM

@Centerofthestorm The comment was about another user called "colin-hardman" and his post was probably deleted because of ranting.

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. I thought I was losing it for a second.

Heikki-HJM wrote on 6/6/2021, 4:39 PM

I had problems too with in app sold soundpools, i do think there should be an option for commercial royalty free without having to separately enter producerplanet to do so, and yes it's mentioned there, non-commercial, but it's easily forgotten when using in app buying in the first time (happened to me) Pretty annoying to buy it twice, when finding a nice soundpool set. At least add that option before buying there. While i'm just a hobbyist music maker, i prefer to buy commercial royalty free ones to avoid any hassle if i publish them on youtube or similar online services, not for earning purposes though, but for saving them if hard drives dies.

Robert-Rutherford wrote on 12/6/2023, 8:30 AM

I enjoy using the Music Maker DAW. I am still unclear about the commercial license. Does a commercial license apply to all the content of a Soundpool collection pack purchased or do you need to get a license for each specific track used in the project?

emmrecs wrote on 12/6/2023, 11:09 AM

@Robert-Rutherford

The full details, terms and conditions of Magix Commercial Licensing of Soundpools can be found here.

Each purchased licence for a Soundpool covers ALL the content of that Soundpool. Just be aware that, as that linked page shows, there are TWO "levels" of commercial licensing!

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator