importing old photos WITH their keywords in Magix Photo manager

adry wrote on 1/2/2023, 10:44 AM

I would be interested in puchasing magix photo manager to handle the about 15.000 personal photos (until today I used a very old software, HP Photo Essentials). But in the test version I've installed, i don't see any possibility to import the existing keywords (names, places, events). And without this possibility, purcyhasing your product wouldn't make any sense.

Can you explain if and how importing all the keywords already existing on my photos ?

NB: in windows explorer these keywords appear under Properties -Details -keywords

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Shawn-Steele wrote on 4/27/2023, 12:34 AM

I'm having a similar issue importing photos from Windows Live Photo Gallery. It seems like Magix Photo Manager doesn't import existing metadata from the images?

emmrecs wrote on 4/27/2023, 8:56 AM

@Shawn-Steele @adry

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums, and apologies to @adry for the fact your post was never replied to!

Keywords which the user attaches (as descriptors) to an image are NOT metadata, sorry. PM can, and does, import the Metadata (EXIF data) which is written to and held within the image file by the camera which took the picture. Unless you can find some method of editing and adding to the exif data before the image is indexed by PM there is no way that I am aware of whereby the program could read your keywords.

The program called exiftool may be able to assist with this but I have no direct experience of using it, sorry.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam