Incorrect ftp settings held in memory and undeletable

peter-b4534 wrote on 4/21/2021, 4:45 PM

I publish a couple of websites directly from Xara Photo & Graphic Designer Pro using the publish to "Other Web Host (via FTP)" option. I've recently encountered a major problem with the functioning of the publisher which I've not experienced in earlier versions. The problem is simply this, that a particular xar file will insist on retaining the publish settings from a completely different xar file (and one which I don't have open) - even worse there appears to be no way to delete the incorrect settings, you can attempt delete the wrong FTP username and password as many times as you like but they just reappear over and over again. This has resulted in sites being published to the wrong address which isn't too handy. So what's going on and how do I resolve this issue.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 4/22/2021, 3:08 AM

@peter-b4534

Hi

Assuming the project file is not in a 'Protected folder' of your antivirus, this could be a corrupted project file.

Try Exporting the website to a folder and then use FileZilla or another FTP program.

This is my preferred method as it allows the site to be checked thoroughly before uploading and also provides a finished backup in case of issues, and FileZilla can have multiple FTP connections stored in the Site Manager secured by a master password.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

peter-b4534 wrote on 4/22/2021, 3:56 AM

Hi John, many thanks for the workaround, yes I'm aware that I can export to a folder, then use FileZilla to upload the site contents. Filezilla is my preferred FTP application and I will consider using your publication method in future. But that doesn't address the issue within Xara.

I don't think the issue has to do with a corrupted project file. Why? because this morning I opened the same project file on another machine (laptop) and what do you know? It has all the correct ftp settings stored exactly as I want them. If I then close the file, go back to my desktop machine and open the same project file, then go to publish it via an alternate FTP host, the FTP username and FTP password insist on reverting to the wrong settings which belong to a completely different site.

So it would appear that the incorrect settings are being stored locally on my desktop machine. What I simply don't understand is how the project file gets the ftp username and password details exactly right when opened on the laptop while insisting on the wrong details on the desktop. Enlightenment would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Peter.

johnebaker wrote on 4/22/2021, 2:28 PM

@peter-b4534

Hi

On your desktop machine can you change and save any other website parameters and have them stay changed when re-opening the project?

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

peter-b4534 wrote on 4/22/2021, 2:50 PM

Hi John, yes, the "Connect using", "FTP host address", subfolder, and Website URL all remain as I have set them, it's just the FTP username and accompanying password that change of their own accord. Funny thing is, when I first open the project file and visit the "Other Web Host" settings, for the first couple of seconds only the FTP username shows correctly, after which the entry changes and can't be corrected subsequently. I assume the password is also initially set correctly and undergoes a similar change but since it is obfuscated I can't observe the change happening.

peter-b4534 wrote on 4/23/2021, 3:20 AM

John,

I’ve just found a workaround to this issue, which is as follows:I first chose to publish to Xara Hosting instead of to “Other Web Host” . Having published the site to Xara Hosting, I then proceeded to publish again via Other Web Host.The publication to Xara Hosting appears to have the effect of voiding all the entries for publication to an alternative web host, these are now editable and their behaviour is entirely as expected. I’ve now published the site and saved the publication entries to the project file.

Best Regards,

Peter.

johnebaker wrote on 4/23/2021, 5:10 AM

@peter-b4534

Hi Peter

Thanks for the feedback - it is good to know there is at least a workaround - I would suggest you raise a Support ticket on this issue - see this guide on how to navigate through the Support system.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/23/2021, 5:11 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

peter-b4534 wrote on 4/23/2021, 3:47 PM

Hi John,

I raised a Support Ticket immediately after reporting the issue in the Forums. I got a response from Magix Support today but I'm sorry to say it was no help. I was directed to find and delete a registry key that was supposed to be causing the issue - but the supposedly offending FTP related registry keys weren't in the location suggested. After searching the registry and finding no reference to the supposedly problematic ftp address / username / password I decided to take matters into my own hands. And very fortunately chanced upon a workaround.

As a general rule, if the wind changes direction even slightly I immediately raise a ticket to Magix Support for the reason that Magix along with so many other internet based companies appear to be intent on discouraging communication with a human being. At least that what it looks like to me. Apparently just providing the software is enough, and product support is an expensive extra and a waste of resources. I cannot disagree more.

I kind of understand why creating phenomenal software (such as XP&GDPro) might make the designers of it think that the problems raised by mere mortals are not worth the trouble of responding to. But a forest of FAQs vary rarely answers the questions us minions are looking to answer. This is one of the very few gripes I have with Magix. In Xara Photo and Graphic Designer Pro they have a product that is second to none and which throws up issues only very occasionally. It one of the most stable pieces of software I have ever used. So as and when there is a glitch I would suggest it is to the programmers distinct advantage to understand the nature of it. This requires communication with their user base.

Peter.

johnebaker wrote on 4/24/2021, 4:44 AM

@peter-b4534

Hi

Can you send me the suggested fix by PM please.

. . . . along with so many other internet based companies appear to be intent on discouraging communication with a human being . . . .

Telephone support is getting a 'thing of the past' - it can be very time consuming and wasteful or resources.

It is more efficient to use a ticketing system, maintains a log of issues for reference, and the developers, and gives equal access for all users to Support.

As we would say 'been there, done and got the T-shirt' - the turn around on fixing issues increased when we introduced a ticketing system at my place of work for staff to use.

Thanks

John EB

peter-b4534 wrote on 4/24/2021, 7:27 AM

HI John,

See below in quotes a copy of the message I received from Magix Support. The first half of the message was very much along the lines of your response.

I then looked in the Registry at the location suggested but found nothing out of the ordinary, just a couple of keys with default values. I then did a full search of the Registry for the ftp servername, the search came up blank. I then decided not to pursue the registry editing option and experimented with publishing to Xara Hosting which (as I explained earlier) had the effect of voiding the persistent entries to the ftp username and password in Publish to Alternate web host and allowing them to become editable.

Out of curiosity I searched the registry for the ftp servername again today having (yesterday) saved the Publish to Alternate Web Host details (inc password) to the relevant project file and the information is now to found at the following address:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePro x64\18\Options\FTPprofiles\"MyProject"

Peter.

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your message.

Have you tried to use a third party FTP program (e.g. FileZilla)?

Please export your website as HTML-file via "File > Export Website". Now check if your project is displayed correctly. If so, you can upload the resulting files and the corresponding folder "index_htm_files" by using a freeware application called "Filezilla".

This software allows you to log on to your FTP server, and manage your projects.

Download "Filezilla" FTP Client

Filezilla is a very userfriendly application, but if you need some help please check the following tutorial:

https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FileZilla_Client_Tutorial_(en)

Otherwise in order to fix the issue please look for the FTP site in the registry and delete it: 

Run regedit

Search using EDIT , FIND , ftp.example.com , click FIND NEXT

(Should be found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, FTP, Accounts)

Right-click the FTP site giving your problems (ftp.example.com) and delete it.

Close regedit.

Start Windows explorer

This should fix the issue. 

--
Best regards,

johnebaker wrote on 4/24/2021, 4:38 PM

@peter-b4534

Hi Peter

Thanks for the information - the location is a similar format to that of Web Designer which I have. Nothing is saved in the Microsoft FTP folder.

John EB