Issue with Sound Forge Pro 16 and scripting

Unsounded wrote on 5/15/2022, 5:15 AM

I was hopeful that the new version of Sound Forge would have overcome the bug that appeared in version 15 after build 64. Basically various scripts that compile correctly do nothing when they are run. For example, here is a script I have been using for years:

using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using SoundForge;public class EntryPoint {
public void Begin(IScriptableApp app) {   app.CurrentFile.DoEffect("Volume",
                            "1 dB Boost (112.20 %)",   // this must be the name of a Volume preset.
                            app.ActiveWindow.EditRegion,
                            EffectOptions.EffectOnly);
   app.CurrentFile.WaitForDoneOrCancel();
}public void FromSoundForge(IScriptableApp app) {
   ForgeApp = app; //execution begins here
   app.SetStatusText(String.Format("Script '{0}' is running.", Script.Name));
   Begin(app);
   app.SetStatusText(String.Format("Script '{0}' is done.", Script.Name));
}
public static IScriptableApp ForgeApp = null;
}

This works with SF15 build 64 but not with SF16. Nothing happens when the script is run. I'd like to upgrade but I'm stuck as scripts I rely on don't work with the new version. So my feedback is please improve scripting. Thanks.

Comments

SP. wrote on 5/15/2022, 8:46 AM

@Unsounded Does this preset "1 dB Boost (112.20 %)" exist in your Sound Forge installation? What are the settings of this preset?

Unsounded wrote on 5/15/2022, 7:00 PM

Yes, the preset exists and it increases volume by 1 dB. The script works with SF15 build 64 but if I apply later updates it stops doing anything. The script runs, there is no error message but the waveform remains unchanged.

Unsounded wrote on 9/2/2022, 2:37 AM

I'm trialing the latest SF16 and it is working better than v15 build 64 with iZotope RX 9. However it still doesn't process my scripts for changing volume. It works with those using built in system presets eg:

using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using SoundForge;public class EntryPoint {
public void Begin(IScriptableApp app) {   app.CurrentFile.DoEffect("Volume",
                            "[Sys] 6 dB Cut (50 %)",   // this must be the name of a Volume preset.
                            app.ActiveWindow.EditRegion,
                            EffectOptions.EffectOnly);
   app.CurrentFile.WaitForDoneOrCancel();
}public void FromSoundForge(IScriptableApp app) {
   ForgeApp = app; //execution begins here
   app.SetStatusText(String.Format("Script '{0}' is running.", Script.Name));
   Begin(app);
   app.SetStatusText(String.Format("Script '{0}' is done.", Script.Name));
}
public static IScriptableApp ForgeApp = null;
} //EntryPoint

But for presets I've named myself nothing happens. The scripts compile OK and run without error but just don't change the volume. This problem began with SF15 later builds.

I really need a quick way to change volume. Can anyone suggest changes to my code or alternative code that will allow changes to volume by 1 to 6 decibels? Thanks.

SP. wrote on 9/2/2022, 3:24 AM

@Unsounded I tried it out for myself in Sound Forge Pro 15 Build 161 and yes, your are correct. It doesn't work in later versions of Sound Forge. This has to be some kind of bug. So I made the following changes.

• I deleted the custom preset and I changed EffectOptions.EffectOnly to EffectOptions.DialogFirst.
  • Then I ran the script. The Volume-Dialog opened. I created the preset and saved it under a name.
  • Then I canceled the process.
  • Then I changed EffectOptions.DialogFirst back to EffectOptions.EffectOnly.

It now works every time without problems. Even after restarting the application.

Unsounded wrote on 9/3/2022, 7:04 PM
  • I deleted the custom preset and I changed EffectOptions.EffectOnly to EffectOptions.DialogFirst.
  • Then I ran the script. The Volume-Dialog opened. I created the preset and saved it under a name.
  • Then I canceled the process.
  • Then I changed EffectOptions.DialogFirst back to EffectOptions.EffectOnly.

It now works every time without problems. Even after restarting the application.

Brilliant SP! What ever gave you the idea of recreating the scripts using DialogFirst? Initially I had some trouble as SF wouldn't let me delete the existing presets. They would reappear after I reopened the volume dialogue. So I just copied and pasted the preset names from the script and saved them afresh. I wasn't prompted to rename them so I suspect the whole dialogue is flaky. I've opened and closed Sound Forge and so far so good. The scripts work. Thank you so much.

Kurt-Larson wrote on 11/22/2022, 1:24 PM

I am experiencing the same problem, with some differences. My script, which still works in SFG13, tries to use a graphic-fade preset. Whether I use one I made myself or a factory preset, the script always applies a linear fade-in instead of the preset I request, as though I had instead used the <PROCESS - FADE - IN> menu option. It does the same if I enter a bogus preset name, which makes me think it isn't even looking at the name. Maybe it is defaulting to a linear fade-in when it sees no name? Has the way the interpreter handles arguments changed?

The work-around SP described above more-or-less works for me, although I notice the preset I save does not show up in the preset list afterwards. Also, when the script asks for a dialogue first, the drop-down list does *not* include other presets I have made. I guess it must be storing a second list elsewhere? Seems like this is the problem: User presets are stored in one place, and the scripts are looking at a different copy of the list.

SP. wrote on 11/22/2022, 4:09 PM

@Kurt-Larson I think most effects in Sound Forge are DirectX plugins.

If I remember it correctly the user presets were stored in the Windows registry under HKEY_USERS\*long-ID-number*\DirectShow\Presets and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\DirectShow\Presets

Kurt-Larson wrote on 11/22/2022, 4:16 PM

Thanks SP, but... hm. I'm not sure how this information connects...

If you just mean it is a place to check for info, sure. But the problem seems to be that SFG16 is maintaining two separate sets of presets.

SP. wrote on 11/22/2022, 4:32 PM

@Kurt-Larson If you search for your custom preset name and it's not in the registry it could be a bug (and maybe the cause of our scripting problem) or the developers changed something in the preset system, like you already suspected, and broke functionality. I don't know if DirectX plugins presets must be stored in the registry.

ArsDigita wrote on 9/28/2023, 9:22 AM

Hello everybody. I am looking for an up-to-date Sound Forge API for scripting (basically in C#). The one I possess is dated at April 2005. Is there anything newer, or I can still use the one from 2005 year  in SF Pro versions grater than 11? Thanks for your response.

SP. wrote on 9/28/2023, 9:31 AM

@ArsDigita Everything is described in the Help file plus there are some sample scripts. Have you already installed the newest, free trial version?

The latest SDK (version 11) I have is from 2013, but a lot of included files are from 2005 or 2009. I can send it to you, if you want.

rraud wrote on 9/28/2023, 9:53 AM

I think most effects in Sound Forge are DirectX plugins.

Most of the legacy Sonic Foundry and Sony plug-ins are DX. Track FX, Express FX plugs, delay, EQs, reverb and time stretch.. among others.

ArsDigita wrote on 9/28/2023, 10:58 AM

I haven't checked it out with newer versions of SF. I would greately appreciate if you could send me the 2013 SDK. It’s still better than the 2005 one. Thx in advance.

ArsDigita wrote on 10/30/2023, 8:20 AM

Hello there. Have just tested the 2013 SDK with the newest version of SF and Visual Studio compiling and debugging scripts in C#. It all works just fine, assuming you are using .NET Framework 4.0 and greater. In addition SF 17 provides the whole SDK description in it's help system. So, there is no need to have it open from a separate file.

ArsDigita wrote on 10/30/2023, 8:45 AM

Since I am relatively new to SF scripting. Can someone advise me on how to create a dockable window similar to those available from "view" menu (I mean windows such as Time Display, Channel Meters or Spectral Analysis). I want my script to be dockable within the SF's workspace. Is that possible at all with script evoked windows?

SP. wrote on 10/30/2023, 8:58 AM

@ArsDigita If there is nothing about this in the description or the SDK then I don't think you can do this.

Unsounded wrote on 5/22/2024, 11:11 PM

I've just updated to sound Forge Pro 18 and the fix by SP no longer works. The script compiles OK but doesn't run. Does any one know how to change the volume using scripting and SF18? Thanks.

SP. wrote on 5/23/2024, 2:28 AM

@Unsounded Are you trying to use system presets or user presets?

Have you tried to save a system preset first under a new name as a user preset?

Unsounded wrote on 5/23/2024, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was mistaken. I was working with the wrong script folder. Your original method works with SF18. I have my scripts working correctly now. Your approach was and is a stroke of genius.

rraud wrote on 5/23/2024, 10:31 AM

Can someone advise me on how to create a dockable window similar to those available from "view" menu (I mean windows such as Time Display, Channel Meters or Spectral Analysis).

I do not know about a script, but you can save the SF UI display in "View> Window layouts"