"Jewelry Online Shop" widget and mobile version issues

NovaScotiaSnow wrote on 2/23/2023, 6:01 PM

Hi everyone. This is a two-pronged post.

FIRST ISSUE: So after my computer crashed and lost all my website files, I decided to grab a brand new template and start from scratch. I'm using a PC laptop with Windows 10. I downloaded Xara Web Designer Premium 365 (which is apparently v.19) and chose "Jewelry Online Shop" from the "Modern Business Websites" in the Online Content Gallery. It looked great, modern and sleek, and I was excited to start customizing it for my skincare business. I got on great until I got to the widget on the second page, which is entitled "online shop". I had assumed the template would have placeholders for individual products, and buttons that I could link to a payment platform (it's an online shop, after all). But it's just a photo widget. I switched out the first photo inside the widget for one of my products. I don't see any obvious way of creating a purchasable product link. There's also no way that I can see of switching out the placeholder ones (Yes, I dragged and dropped my photos as per the instructions. Even added the labels. But it doesn't translate to the actual web page). It looks amazing, with the professional quality photos and all, but I don't sell jewelry. I need a simple, easy to use products page where my customers can see a photo of the product and the price, read about the product, and click on an "add to cart" button. As far as I can see, this template is not an online shop. It's just a framework for nice photos. EDIT: I've attached to this post 3 screenshots: (1) inside the widget, showing my photos and text, (2) the preview page, showing nothing except a broken photo, and (3) the web page, "online shop", showing the template's original photos and one broken photo at the top left.

NEXT ISSUE: This template is supposedly equipped with RWD, meaning that it automatically creates a mobile version of the website as you create the main version. After I had done the first page, I checked the mobile version. My "About" blurb was still Lorem Ipsum. My Contact details were pasted underneath each other (one column on top of the other, so both completely illegible) and my logo was not there at all. I went into the mobile version and edited it, but then when I went back to the main version, it was all chopped about. So I can have a legible main version that makes sense, or mobile, but apparently not both.

If anyone has any answers or advice, I would be very grateful. I'm not techie at all (which is why I use a template platform) so please keep it simple. Thanks so much.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 2/24/2023, 3:22 AM

@NovaScotiaSnow

Hi

For an online shop you need to use a third party ecommerce host for the shop itself as the software do not support the necessary functionality needed.

There are 2 widgets ecwid and Wazala! which you can use to set up the shop and embed into your website.

You can use other 3rd party ecommerce providers providing they can give you the necessary code to embed in your website.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

NovaScotiaSnow wrote on 2/24/2023, 7:24 AM

Thanks John. Sadly, your comment doesn't address either of my issues.

Yes, I know I need a third-party ecommerce provider (I use PayPal). But I still need a functional landing page where customers can click on a product photo or a button to take them to payment. Also - this template only has 2 pages? Really? I can get a free one-page website from GoDaddy that offers more functionality than this.

johnebaker wrote on 2/24/2023, 12:33 PM

@NovaScotiaSnow

Hi

. . . . I know I need a third-party ecommerce provider (I use PayPal) . . . .

Who is the Online shop / Shopping Carts / Ecommerce Platform provider?

PayPal is the Payment Provider and integrates into the Online Shop provider.

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

NovaScotiaSnow wrote on 2/24/2023, 5:56 PM

I tried ECWID and it is useless. I already have all my buttons in PayPal, I just need a page to put them on.

My question wasn't about ecommerce. It was about a non-functioning widget and a non-functioning RWD.

johnebaker wrote on 2/25/2023, 6:45 AM

@NovaScotiaSnow

Hi

. . . . I already have all my buttons in PayPal . . . .

Which 'buttons' are you are referring to?

Did you set up the store as follows - using ecwid as an example, other stores should be similar:

After creating your Ecwid Account.

• Add Products
  • Set Payment Methods. - the appropriate buttons will appear on the store page.
  • Configure Shipping, Delivery & Pickup Options.
  • Customize Your Store Design eg thumbnail sizes etc

Once these are done in then add the ecwid widget to your store page, when the widget opens enter your Store ID and email address, click the Generate code and the the Insert button when prompted.

The store will appear on the page as shown below adjust size/position as required

when viewed as a web page

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 2/25/2023, 6:59 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

NovaScotiaSnow wrote on 3/1/2023, 7:31 PM

Never mind. I switched to Squarespace. Now I have a gorgeous, up to the minute website that works beautifully as a mobile version, and seamlessly linked to my existing PayPal account. All done and live inside of a week. Xara can go pound sand.