Korg Odyssey

Former user wrote on 3/5/2019, 7:40 AM

First of all, I'm new to all of this so please excuse any silly questions I may have. I want to buy a Korg Odyssey and record midi with music maker 2019 (control version).  I'm aware that the Korg Odyssey doesn't translate pitch bend and velocity control into midi but I'm assuming that there is a way around this? Maybe with the module version of the Odyssey? Could somebody please explain what I would need and how exactly to connect? Would music maker recognise the Odyssey and would it be selectable like the VST's? I'm currently using just a standard midi keyboard over USB midi into my computer and hence into Music Maker. I'm not a musician but interested in having a play around as a hobby.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 3/5/2019, 9:15 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

I did a quick Google search on this synthesizer and found this page of specifications. Most pertinent to you is that MIDI is configured to be input only, so you cannot use this keyboard to play/record anything into MM using any MIDI connection. However, it does have CV (Control Voltage) inputs and outputs so a CV to MIDI convertor should allow it to communicate with and record to MM.

I have no experience of using any CV technology so the linked page is simply what a quick search reveals.

One thing that did strike me is that most (all) of the units listed on that page are not bi-directional, i.e they can convert CV to MIDI data but not the reverse. So, to be able to use this keyboard for recording AND playback I think you would need to use the CV to MIDI convertor for input but a standard MIDI cable for output connection to your keyboard

Depending on your computer set-up you will almost certainly need an additional MIDI to USB convertor in order to connect to your computer, in the following set-up:
Recording: Keyboard>CV to MIDI convertor/interface>MIDI to USB convertor>Computer
Playback: Computer>MIDI to USB convertor/interface>Keyboard (using DIN MIDI cable)

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Former user wrote on 3/5/2019, 9:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like a lot of pissing about for a beginner such as myself as well as the fact that I'd need to output the sound from the Odyssey somehow for playback. I'll stick with the VST's until I'm more experienced and I'm sure that my interest is not a passing whim. Thanks again.

browj2 wrote on 3/5/2019, 12:11 PM

Hi Trevor,

What is wrong with the external keyboard that you have? And what is it?

Velocity, sustain and pitch bend can be done in the piano roll of MusicMaker, but of course, it's better to do this from the keyboard. My Casio keyboard detects and sends velocity data, and the pedal the sustain data.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Former user wrote on 3/6/2019, 2:06 PM

My keyboard came with the software and seems to work great. It's Music Maker 2019 control version with a Midistart keyboard. It's just that I like the Arp Odyssey's but I would want to use it with Music maker and wasn't sure how to make it happen.

johnebaker wrote on 3/6/2019, 5:37 PM

@Former user

Hi

. . . . I want to buy a Korg Odyssey and record midi with music maker 2019 (control version) . . . . Korg Odyssey doesn't translate pitch bend and velocity control into midi . . . . I would want to use it with Music maker . . .

If you want MIDI sent to the Music Maker and a Synthesizer plus wheel controls, then maybe something like the Behringer DeepMind 12 or StudioLogic Sledge would be better.

With instruments such as these I would advise you try first, ie visit your nearest stockist or large music shop before buying - you may not like the keyboard action.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/6/2019, 5:37 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Former user wrote on 3/6/2019, 7:22 PM

I do like the look of the Behringer. So, as a beginner, what would I need aside from the Behringer and my installed copy of Music Maker to record AND playback as I layer tracks into a tune. Would I need a speaker connected to the Behringer or will it playback through my PC soundcard. I'm an absolute beginner at this but I've been having fun so far with just Music Maker and a midi keyboard.

Could you possibly detail what I'd need and how everything would connect? Thanks for your help so far.

johnebaker wrote on 3/7/2019, 5:12 AM

@Former user

Hi

How you connect depends on what you want to do ie:

1. record the output of the keyboard/synthesizer - audio (line) out goes to audio line in on the PC.

2. use it as a MIDI keyboard to play an instrument - connect by USB and set up the instrument in MMM

3. 1 and 2 simultaneously - may not be possible - you would need to speak to Behringer or one of their dealers

4. Control the keyboard/synthesizer from MMM - see below

I would suggest you read the Music Maker manual, available under Help, section Connect MIDI Keyboards for more information.

HTH

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Former user wrote on 3/7/2019, 11:31 AM

Thanks for helping me on this John.

1)Just to clarify, when recording from synth into audio line of the PC soundcard, will I be able to hear what I'm playing through the PC speaker setup?

2)Will I be able to playback what I have already recorded through Music Maker and the PC soundcard and record another track with the synth as I listen to it?

3)Is it possible to manipulate the audio recording afterwards as you can do with midi? Quantise and move notes around etc?

If I can at least do 1) and 2), I think it's what I need. That Deepmind 12 looks the business.

johnebaker wrote on 3/7/2019, 11:50 AM

@Former user

Hi

. . . .will I be able to hear what I'm playing through the PC speaker setup? . . . .

Yes that is a normally a function of your sound card, you may have to change a few settings, especially if you also use an external sound card/device in MMM.

. . . . Will I be able to playback what I have already recorded through Music Maker and the PC soundcard and record another track with the synth as I listen to it? . . .

Yes, just make sure you arm the correct track for audio recording, and save the project in between takes. A small downside may be a small latency issue however this can be minimised in the latency settings and post recording.

. . . . Quantise and move notes around etc? . . . .

No, recording audio is the digitised audio waveform, you only apply filters, reverb and audio effects to it.

MIDI recording records the actual MIDI commands that drive the instrument selected, which you can then edit using the MIDI editor and change the instrument for a different one if required and apply the various MIDI functions such as Quantizing etc to.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/7/2019, 11:50 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Former user wrote on 3/7/2019, 12:29 PM

Brilliant! Thanks John! Looks like I'm getting me one of those Deepmind 12 synths. Billy Currie and John Foxx, here I come! Thanks again m8.