Movie Studio 2024, How can I convert the mv_ to mp4?

Chris-Royster wrote on 5/14/2024, 11:18 AM

I can't find a converter that recognizes a .mv_ file, which is how all my videos have exported. How can I ensure all my videos are mp4? When you go to the option to export, you see various options (mpeg, avi, windows media export, etc). When I see the file in my downloaded folder the extension says .MV_.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/14/2024, 11:36 AM

@Chris-Royster

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

Can I suggest that you read the included manual, it's available to download under the Help menu!

I say this because you have made a very fundamental mistake in your understanding of how Movie Studio works. Your .MV files are NOT exports from the app; they are the Movie Studio "Project" files. They contain NO audio or video; they are, in simplistic terms, a database of the edit decisions you made when preparing/editing your video. Hence, they are proprietary to Magix Movie Studio, Photostory Deluxe and/or Video Pro X, which is why you cannot play or view them with any video player app., other than those three Magix products.

When you chose to "Save" your project, it is this project file you saved. To make your file available and viewable by anyone else you need to Export your project. You've clearly found the Export item under the File menu; you need to click on it and you will see a second menu list open. Find the option "Video as MPEG-4", that is what will produce your mp4 copy!

When you click on that Export option you will be confronted with a plethora of choices. Initially choose whichever default MS has selected for you (it should correspond to the format, frame rate etc. of your source video file). If it does not, you may need to make changes to the various options you see, but I would suggest you try these changes only after you are rather more experienced in using the app.

If you are still confused can I suggest you also go to the Tutorials section of this web site and look for the excellent "beginner" tutorials from user @browj2 (John Brown).

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Last changed by emmrecs on 5/14/2024, 11:39 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Chris-Royster wrote on 5/14/2024, 11:39 AM

I have exported the video to every option listed. The file is visible in my folder after it's been exported. When I go to convert the files, the error message says that the file type is not recognized.

Gid wrote on 5/14/2024, 11:52 AM

@Chris-Royster If you have Exported your video check the destination you sent it to.

When you did export the movie did you see this progress window pop up?

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

emmrecs wrote on 5/14/2024, 1:23 PM

@Chris-Royster

When I go to convert the files, the error message says that the file type is not recognized.

Why do you need to convert your exported files? What format are they currently in? (As already explained, .MV or .MVP are project files so what file extension is showing for your exported files?) And what format are you wanting to convert them to?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Chris-Royster wrote on 5/14/2024, 1:24 PM

@Gid correct, I saw the progress window that you have shown after I selected the option in your first screenshot. But when it completes and I view in my folder, I go to check properties, the extension doesn't show .mp4 it shows innovativeenterprisespromo_BAK8.MV_

emmrecs wrote on 5/14/2024, 1:28 PM

@Chris-Royster

But, please look again at the first screenshot which @Gid posted, especially the highlighted line. For your exports, what does your screen show as the destination where your exported files will be stored?

Again, I need to say (sorry but you do keep mentioning them) your BAK8.MV is NOT A VIDEO FILE. It is your MMS project file! As such there is no conversion of it either needed or possible.

Jeff

Chris-Royster wrote on 5/14/2024, 1:49 PM

@Chris-Royster

When I go to convert the files, the error message says that the file type is not recognized.

Why do you need to convert your exported files? What format are they currently in? (As already explained, .MV or .MVP are project files so what file extension is showing for your exported files?) And what format are you wanting to convert them to?

Jeff

I have a website that does not allow for a video to be uploaded, they want a youtube link, so I have to upload video to youtube. I recorded the video on my laptop however because I had to edit it, I used Movie Studio to edit. Prior to getting this 2024 version, I would export the video into mp4 and then be able to upload.

Gid wrote on 5/14/2024, 2:14 PM

@Chris-Royster 

Pls show full screenshots of what you are doing, press the windows key + Shift + S all at the same time

The screen will go dark & this will show at the top of the screen, choose the Window Snip, click on the screen. the captured pic will show in the Notifications bottom right of the screen, Save it.

You can upload the pics on here using the arrow button next to the smiley at the top of a new comment,

Post a picture of every step you make when exporting, more pictures the better 👍

-----------

PS, after you've exported your movie from MS (Movie Studio) you can then upload to YT, there's no need for further editing or converting.

Last changed by Gid on 5/14/2024, 2:16 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

AAProds wrote on 5/14/2024, 7:19 PM

@Chris-Royster

I used Movie Studio to edit. Prior to getting this 2024 version, I would export the video into mp4 and then be able to upload.

Chris, are you new to this version? The old version of Movie Studio, made by Sony, was completely different. Knowing that may help us with advice.

xxxxBAK.MV_ files are your project backup files. They (up to 9 of them in sequence) will be in the same folder that your project file, the MVP, is. That folder is possibly not the folder you're saving your exported MP4s to. As Jeff has pointed out, the MPV and the MV_ files are not your final, exported video file.

Your exported MP4s will be in the folder that is shown on the Export screen, has highlighted by Gid above. Here's another example:

Here, my MP4 export will go into the F:\Family Videos\Family Videos 2024 folder.

All my forum comments are based on or refer to my System 1.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

Windows 11 v23H2 severely modified by Openshell and ExplorerPatcher

Power supply: 850W Cooler Master (should have got modular)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

RAM: 64gb (2x32gb sticks) G.Skill "Ripjaws" DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU 1: iGPU UHD 770

GPU 2: NVidia RTX 3060Ti Windforce 8gb

C drive: NVME 500gb

Various other SSD and HDDs.

Monitor: 27"/68cm Samsung, 2560 x 1440, 43 pixels/cm.

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

Magix Video Easy version 7.0.1.145

System 2

(Still in use for TV and videotape capture)

Windows 10 v22H2

CPU: i5-750 at 2670mhz with 12gb RAM

Onboard IEEE1394 (Firewire) port

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512mb) which is ignored by MEP

Hard drives: C Drive 256gb SSD, various other HDDs.

Monitor: Dell 22"/56cm, 1680x1050, 35 pixels/cm

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

VPX 12