Music Maker Premium Edition 2019 is crashing in Windows 10

joel-cooper wrote on 9/2/2018, 9:47 PM

Is anyone else having this problem? I find that Music Maker Premium Edition 2019 is crashing repeatedly within the Windows 10 environment. When I try to open Music Maker Premium Edition 2019, it just locks up and then Windows tells me there is a problem with the program, and Windows reboots automatically and makes me log in again. Sometimes I have to try 2 or 3 times before I can finally get into Music Maker and actually start using the program. There have been some other peculiarities, such as Music Maker telling me that instruments are not installed when I have already installed and downloaded them. And when I try to record more than 3 or 4 tracks at a time, I get a weird crackling noise in the extra tracks. It's almost as if the program is running out of memory or something. But I have a huge number of gigabytes free on my hard disc, and I have more than ample built-in solid state memory as well. Is this something that can be fixed with a setting change? It would be nice to be able to record at least 6 or 8 tracks at a time without crackling noises in the tracks or seeming memory problems. And the problem with the program crashing repeatedly when I am trying to get into it is really frustrating. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Comments

Former user wrote on 9/2/2018, 10:28 PM

Hi,

I have been away from MM for a good 5 years plus so I did not want to speak too quickly. Having recently become active again, however, with 27.0.0.16 I can concur with the following. This version does seem to have some stability issues; I am experiencing:

1. The crackling noises. I seem to get improvement by switching to wave drivers 16 bit for output, but I need to switch to wasapi for recording. I am still testing.

2. Instruments are playing randomly at times I think I am seeing this reported by others. Stopping playback a time or two seems to end it.

3. I do have occasional lockups and then I must restart the program.

These reports are preliminary as I am still trying to determine what is repeatable under what conditions. Others can most certainly provide better information or advice, I am just getting reacquainted with the program. I also see many major advances with instruments since I last used it, so this is a major benefit to me.

Best regards, CEC

brian-hill wrote on 9/3/2018, 3:29 PM

The popping and cracking sounds were there in my 2018 Premium Edition as well. They permeate the whole project but they don't show up in the final product when I export the project. So that's a relief. But the cracking is extremely distracting and annoying when trying to make music.

Nickillus wrote on 9/5/2018, 7:27 AM

I'm working in Windows 7 Pro, and at least two of the issues raised are present for that platform as well. Freezing is becoming a real pain, but no I can't isolate what it is tips the balance to push the software into it. Sometimes I've been working a while, but at other times it locks up almost immediately.

Exporting to mp3 has caused the software to crash any number of times, but again not always? I've not identified specific reasons for the other multiple crashes.

Then there is the already documented issue of other midi tracks playing randomly when you are working in the piano roll with another instrument.

So far this is the least stable version I've encountered since I began using Music Maker about 5 years ago.

L-honey wrote on 9/8/2018, 2:40 PM

Hi.

I've also been having major problems. I'm using version 27.0.0.16 on windows 10, with a brand new laptop with ample space and speed. I've found the problems so bad I've pretty much stopped using the program since the 2019 version was installed.

I have also encountered the same problems, cracking, other instruments randomly playing when editing in piano roll, the program crashing and restarting itself loosing everything, especially when in piano roll, it also opens up plus even though I have the disc for premium.

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard anything from Magix? Whether it is something to do with the new version (which it seems pretty obvious it is) and if it is, whether they are trying to rectify the problem?

Thanks.

Former user wrote on 9/8/2018, 6:58 PM

I can only hope they are aggressively working on the first update. I have quite a few shenanigans I have worked out to try and develop some kind of work flow. Like one set of drivers loaded to play, and another set to record with crackles, for example. Seems like it should be known what some of the major problems are by now. In the meantime, I get to learn workarounds and what should be ahead of me when fixes get put in place. Looks like a bit premature of a release to me, but I can make progress learning in the meantime. CEC

L-honey wrote on 9/9/2018, 10:03 AM

I can only hope they are aggressively working on the first update...

...In the meantime, I get to learn workarounds and what should be ahead of me when fixes get put in place. Looks like a bit premature of a release to me, but I can make progress learning in the meantime. CEC

Haha. Fingers crossed.

Also, love the optimistic outlook :)

joel-cooper wrote on 9/9/2018, 5:06 PM

Well, MAGIX Music Maker seems to be having some real stability problems in the latest version of Windows 10. I must say I have really liked the program in the past, and many of the instruments are superb. Many of the loops are great too. I don’t want to criticize such a great program, but lately I can’t do more than two or maybe 3 tracks at a time without the program displaying significant dysfunction. For example, I was working on some string and orchestral arrangements the other day (synched to a track I had done in another program — an imported .wav file), when suddenly the tracks stopped playing about one minute into the song. I had to delete my .wav file in Music Maker and then save the string and orchestral tracks in Music Maker to salvage my project. Never had such a problem before. I hope the MAGIX software team is hard at work coming up with an update that will solve instability problems like this. As a songwriter and composer, there is nothing I hate more than instability in a program I use to create with.

Patrick-Gotsch wrote on 9/12/2018, 2:55 PM

I see exactly the same with MM19 and Win10. Opened a thread to it with some more details... it's enoying, it's unusable. It's a big waste of money atm

Sveinn-Andersen wrote on 12/23/2018, 9:51 AM

About the crackling Noise !

When using low latency drivers and a small block size, the sound quality degrees and you will hear crackling sound.

Low latency and small block size is necessary to record in real time. When you have finished recording you should increase the block size to 1024 or 2048 and the crackling sound should dissapear.

Because of the terribly instability issue you should do every thing in small steps, save and save often, make backup copies of your current project progress often. The program and the plugins can have memory leak, so don't let the program stay open for long time or you will end up out of memory.

So why not to switch to other music software? - The reason is simply - I have tried most of them, and no music software is so simply and straight forward to use, like MMM, and if your'e like me and you like the sound of the 70's and 80's, that's where this software marvels, because it does not give you sterilized digital sound, you dont even have to humanize your track because it sounds so live, timbre and fat.

My only hope, is they finish bug fixing and develope testing before they release and sell they're software. And give us updates that better the software and not make it unusable.

Serge_vp wrote on 12/26/2018, 9:31 AM

MMM-2018 + Win10. After the last update to 27.0.2.28 the program started to crash much more often. Now it doesn't export anything (for inst MP3) if there are effects assigned to the tracks. Checked even old projects that used to work. After the effects are discarded, everything works. Maybe they want me (us) to upgrade to 2019 and ruin everything on purpose? Although they are unlikely to have these abilities.

Last changed by Serge_vp on 12/26/2018, 9:33 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Music Maker Premium 31.0.3.26. Windows 10 (64-bit), Ver. 22H2 (build 19045.2364)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3420 @ 3.20GHz (*2)
Physical memory: 4 006.1 MB (Paging memory : 6 922.2 MB)
Onboard Intel HD Graphics, Realtek HD Audio.

gmannhtown wrote on 3/10/2019, 5:45 PM

Thank goodness that is not just me. I mean it's not pleasurable that others are having problems, but I am having nothing but issues with premium 2019 crashing over and over and over, most notably when I switch from ASIO over to any one of the other audio drivers such as the wave driver or the direct soundt driverdtoplay the audio I recorded, the software either completely crashes and resets or a Windows error box pops up suggesting that I send information to Magix or stop the program or whatever else it says. This literally happens every single time I switch from asio to any one of the other drivers. I have also tried it the wasapi driver with no success it does the exact same thing.

I have tried all kinds of experiments with no success. I have now come to accept that anytime I record any type of audio or vocal. I will not be able to play it back without the system crashing and resetting. I find it horribly frustrating and it makes me want to scream and pull all of my hair out.

I also have an issue with the auto backup not working I have tried absolutely everything. II'v tried to switching it from 1 minutes to 2 minutes to 3 minutes to 20 minutes. It doesn't work. I was told by the magix support team to make sure and name the audio file first and then it would save automatically. I name the audio file first always and always have. It does nothing to resolve the issue.

Also I am experiencing the same random sounds while I am working in the piano roll. Suddenly a piano part that I have recorded earlier or a couple of drum beats are a couple of guitar strums will randomly, briefly sound off while I'm in the middle of some other aspect of the project.

This version of magix Music Maker 2019 premium is clearly in need of an update. There are many bugs and many problems. Something needs to happen quick. I've been using magic software since 2005. I am always been satisfied but have never had the number of problems I have experienced over the last three years. Eventually the problems become stabilized but in the meantime I struggle and suffer and want to throw my computer out the window and just simply scream.

Vincent-Allain wrote on 3/10/2019, 9:42 PM

I so understand you. I get many bugs as well, not all the same as you, but some are the same. The very latest update (27.0.3.32) seems to have resolved the exporting problems. that aspect has been working fine since. It's been said that they are working on the "ghost notes" problem. It must be a complicated problem because it's been a while now. I can only assume they are working on the other bugs as well.

The only recommendation I can give for now is to send all the error reports when they happen. You can also inquired about the "Syscheck" program you can use. It's a bit of a hassle, but if we want things to be resolved, they have to know about them.

emmrecs wrote on 3/11/2019, 4:36 AM

@gmannhtown

You wrote:

when I switch from ASIO over to any one of the other audio drivers such as the wave driver or the direct soundt driverdtoplay the audio I recorded

I wonder why you are doing this? I understand fully your frustration at the problems you are seeing and I know Magix are very aware of the understandable annoyance of users.

However, it should not ever be necessary to change from an ASIO driver to a different one, merely to hear playback! I use MM with an ASIO driver (I actually have 3 on my system: Magix Low Latency; ASIO4All; and the one for my MOTU audio interface) and never need to move away from them. So, can you tell us much more about your computer (this post will give you an idea of what information would be very useful) and particularly why you need to switch audio drivers in order to hear playback?

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 3/11/2019, 4:37 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

browj2 wrote on 3/11/2019, 9:18 AM

@gmannhtown

Further to what Jeff wrote, did you update to the latest patch?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

robert-cacciatore wrote on 3/14/2019, 2:35 PM

I see exactly the same with MM19 and Win10. Opened a thread to it with some more details... it's enoying, it's unusable. It's a big waste of money atm

It's "enoying" but it's not unusable and for the <$100US I invested.. well it was a steal. Check out my Youtube 'One of Argentine's Submarines is Missing Tonight - MAGIX MUSIC MAKER 2019'

Music Maker Premium 2019 - Intel i5 PC with Windows 10, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6gB graphics.

Behringer U-phoria UMC404HD USB I/O (quirky with MMM)
Pro Tools Eleven Rack USB I/O (A+ with MMM)
AAS Strum (Guitar Sim) A+ with MMM
UVI Workstation (Keysuite Acoustic, Electric, Digital and Korg PS-3200) A+ MMM
SCALER A+ with MMM
SoundToys Little Alter Boy (pitch/formant shifting) - not working
AAS String Studio - testing
iZotope Neutron3, Ozone8, Nectar, RX7 (Elements versions) Trash2, Mobius Filter and DDDL- testing
UJAM Virtual Drummer 2, DOPE - testing
AIR Music Hybrid 3 Synth - testing
Sonible Proximity:EQ+ - testing
Glitchmachines Subvert - testing

Vincent-Allain wrote on 3/14/2019, 8:53 PM

Nice job! I enjoyed that 😄

TaSean-Grice wrote on 8/29/2019, 9:26 AM

Since I've bought this program, Ive been dealing with constant freezes. Its like once i start preview tracks or try to go apply an effect, its constantly freezes up. Im up here thinking its my laptop lol. Craziest part of it all is this program is actually quite wonderful. Easy to use, easy on the eyes and etc.... But one question that I do have is when it comes to the crashes and freezing, could it have something to do with this program being 32-bit instead of 64-bit? Just a question i thought about because my HP laptop is running Windows10 64-bit.

ralftaro wrote on 9/6/2019, 7:37 AM

Hi @TaSean-Grice

Sorry to hear about your troubles. While future development and a conversion of Music Maker to a 64bit application might bring some performance and stability benefits, program instability should never come as an expected result of this being a 32bit version and being able to access less memory. Memory management just works differently with a 32bit application (e.g. more swapping). So, freezes/crashes might always be worth taking a closer look at.

In order to troubleshoot this, the first thing you might want to narrow down here is whether we're talking about reliably reproducible issues that are always caused by the same sequence of steps, or whether we're talking about rather random freezes here. I can't promise how easy it would be to get to the bottom of this, but you might want to contact MAGIX support directly to investigate this together with you:

http://support.magix.net

Cheers!