Comments

johnebaker wrote on 12/23/2021, 10:20 AM

@David-Cowan

Hi

. . . .  ftp error failed initialization . . . .

Possible causes for this are:-

1. Antivirus/Firewall is blocking the FTP transfer

2. There is an error in the FTP settings such as:

- specifying the wrong location, eg defining a sub folder for the site to upload into - it should be in the root folder of your host

- manually setting the wrong FTP protocol

You can check the FTP settings you are using against those for Xara Online hosting here

An alternative to using the Web Designer FTP uploading, you can export the website to a folder on your PC and use FileZilla to connect to upload the site to the host using the FTP settings given by Xara Online. This method allows you to check the site before uploading for errors etc.

HTH

John EB
​​​​​​​Forum Moderator

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

MichaelIan-Watts wrote on 3/4/2022, 3:04 PM

Hi, when I go to 'publish' I can't find anywhere to check / change the FTP settings. All I get is an action box that indicates that the hosting website is http:/aauu2i.xara.hosting/ and an option to insert a sub-folder.

I have taken over the admin of a website, and had assumed that I could just click on 'publish' and it would follow the same route as before.

johnebaker wrote on 3/5/2022, 4:54 AM

@MichaelIan-Watts

Hi

If you have taken over the site from another person in the same company/business is the site registered to the company/business or to a person?

If to the company/business, right click any page in Web Designer and select Web properties and check that the registered email address and password for the hosting are correct:

If the site was registered to another person and their email address and password is not available to you, the hosting will need the account details changing.

The original account holder will have to contact Magix by email to infoservice@magix.net informing them of the change and giving them your name and email address so they can change the account holder and send you a password reset email.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

MichaelIan-Watts wrote on 3/5/2022, 5:06 AM

@MichaelIan-Watts

Hi

If you have taken over the site from another person in the same company/business is the site registered to the company/business or to a person?

If to the company/business, right click any page in Web Designer and select Web properties and check that the registered email address and password for the hosting are correct:

If the site was registered to another person and their email address and password is not available to you, the hosting will need the account details changing.

The original account holder will have to contact Magix by email to infoservice@magix.net informing them of the change and giving them your name and email address so they can change the account holder and send you a password reset email.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Yes, John, thanks.

I have changed all of the registration records, and the site is now in my name with my email address, so I have full access .................... but little (as in none) training. I am feeling my way, but it's more like blundering about.

It's a church website, and it's reasonably OK, but I wanted to update the service times which cover the period up to and including Easter - so, it's a quick and dirty first update which I wanted to publish asap.

I've just fallen at the last fence of actually publishing it.

Cheers

(Michael) Ian

MichaelIan-Watts wrote on 3/5/2022, 7:20 AM

@MichaelIan-Watts

Hi

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

So the question is, how do I change the FTP? I cannot find any tab or option anywhere in the programme.

MichaelIan-Watts wrote on 3/5/2022, 9:30 AM

OK, so here is a screenshot of what I am getting - I cannot get anything else that allows me to even view my email address, or the FTP.

Except I can't show the screenshot as this forum doesn't accept .doc or .pdf format. I can convert .pdf to .jpg online if I pay another 50p.

This is incredibly frustrating.

I have read the previous response, and cannot find where to alter the FTP.

When I use the 'publish' box, (which I can get to from 'File' or 'Share' I get:

Your website - http://aauu2i.xara.hosting/

Optional sub-folder - (blank)

Then three buttons for:

Password protect (which I've tried but doesn't seem to change anything)

Control Centre (which takes you to Xara website control centre)

New web address (which I don't want, as I want to continue doing things as before)

Then a link to 'publish to an alternative web host'

and the 'Publish' and 'Cancel' buttons

What am I doing wrong?

johnebaker wrote on 3/5/2022, 2:45 PM

@MichaelIan-Watts

Hi

. . . . xara webplus premium . . . .

AFAIK there is no such program as the above, what is the name and version as found under Help within the program?

If you are using Xara Web Designer or Xara Designer Pro the method is as I gave above.

To take and upload a screenshot with the dialogs etc you want to capture visible:

• Press the Print screen (PrtSCn) key on your keyboard
  • Open any image editor you have installed - if none use Windows Paint and paste the screenshot.
  • Crop the image to only show the Publish dialog pane and paint over any confidential information that is visible
  • Save as a jpg image
  • Upload using the upload icon at the top of the comment box (blue circle with a white upward pointing arrow) to upload the image

HTH

John EB

MichaelIan-Watts wrote on 3/5/2022, 2:57 PM

@MichaelIan-Watts

Hi

. . . . xara webplus premium . . . .

AFAIK there is no such program as the above, what is the name and version as found under Help within the program?

If you are using Xara Web Designer or Xara Designer Pro the method is as I gave above.

To take and upload a screenshot with the dialogs etc you want to capture visible:

• Press the Print screen (PrtSCn) key on your keyboard
  • Open any image editor you have installed - if none use Windows Paint and paste the screenshot.
  • Crop the image to only show the Publish dialog pane and paint over any confidential information that is visible
  • Save as a jpg image
  • Upload using the upload icon at the top of the comment box (blue circle with a white upward pointing arrow) to upload the image

HTH

John EB

Yes, John, apologies - partly the problem of an addled brain that has been going round in circles.

It's Xara web designer 11 premium

I've also found a place, in my searching through the various 'publish' routes, that offers me the option to 'sign out'. That suggests to me that I am at least signed in with my registered email address and password.

Thanks for the idea of using paint - I'd forgotten that in my frustration. So, this is what I'm getting - hopefully you can enlarge it a bit.

Image removed by Moderator

Cheers

Ian

johnebaker wrote on 3/5/2022, 3:29 PM

Hi

. . . . Xara web designer 11 premium . . . .

Thanks for the version/full name.

As you have seen you are already signed in to the website, Ok the dialog shown above (now removed) - you should then see this dialog

Click Publish and the site will be created and uploaded.

Note: If you have only modified one or more pages then ensure you have selected Fast Publish in the Web Properties dialog shown in my first post - this will only upload the changes. Without this option being set the whole site will be published.

I would also recommend you keep a backup copy of the published site on your computer.

I will remove your image above as it is showing an email address.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/5/2022, 3:30 PM, changed a total of 1 times.