Need help publishing to my site!

GarryT wrote on 1/18/2014, 3:43 PM

I have tried watching various Youtube movies on this, but don't know where I'm going wrong.
I am using Xara Designer Pro X (I am new to the software) and have used one of the web templates and
changed things to make it my own, but I cannot get it to publish. I can preview it and it seem to be uploading fine but when I go to my site, it hasn't worked. This is my own domain site, not a Magix site. Anyone got any ideas or got a basic run through I can try?

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 1/19/2014, 10:56 AM

Hi,

How are you trying to publish your site?  Are you using the "publish site" feature in Xara?  If so, what happens or what does not happen when you do this.  Please talk about any error messages that you receive.  Have you tried just exporting the site and then use FTP to move the files to your hosting account and if so, what FTP client are you using and what was the result.  Also, who is your hosting provider?  If the host provider is someone like Godaddy, all you need to do is transfer the files with the appropriate landing page name via FTP using a decent FTP client.  If it someone more obscure, you need to find out what their FTP transfer requirements are.  You really need to be much more specific with what you are trying to do and how you are doing it to get a decent answer to you r question.

I am not trying to be difficult, but I can honestly tell you that based on the information that you have posted, I have no idea what you really want to do, how you are going about it, and what product(s) you are using except for the fact that you are a Xara Designer Pro X user.

George

browj2 wrote on 1/19/2014, 11:01 AM

Hi Garry,

I am new also to web design. I published to Magix site and my own domain with no problems. Make sure that your Xara has the latest update. There were conflict problems with IE11 causing havoc. Xara has resolved the problem on their side, but for almost a month I couldn't properly update my site. In fact my site became a mess; now resolved.

Make sure that you have the correct address when you upload and not a subfolder of your site. This happened to me. After uploading, did you click on the site address at the upper right of the Xara screen? This is where your files went to.

Can you view the structure of your site? I go through the Magix Online World WebFTP to see that all of my files are there.

Lastly, this is not the best forum for Xara web design. I suggest that you join the Xara community at the Talkgraphics forum:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/

There is a section all about web design using Xara and you can get excellent help.

Good luck,

Last changed by browj2 on 1/19/2014, 11:01 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

GarryT wrote on 1/19/2014, 2:46 PM

Thanks for getting back to me guys, I'm not sure whether it's my website hosting company that perhaps set things up in a way that's making this a problem. The company is Easyspace.
I've had my website for some time, but wanted to change it for a while and been using Dreamweaver, I can't really get to grips with it too much though as it seems to have more restrictions on what you can do or you really need to know what your doing (and I don't).
Anyway, I have tried simply using a website example from the gallery and uploading it. I have put in all my details, login, password etc from Easyspace...done a preview, and clicked publish to website...it uploads, doesn't mention any problems, but when I check the site, nothings changed.
Is there something I am missing? I have checked online videos and thought I had done everything.
I also tried exporting the page as an html file to my specific folder where all my previous files are and saved the new page as index to see if that works, but still nothing. I have tried several times doing both these ways and deleted all my previous site files to start afresh, but that still doesn't work.....I may try contacting Easyspace to see if they can help, but obviously they don't know Xara, so don't know how helpful they will be. Thanks again. 

browj2 wrote on 1/19/2014, 2:53 PM

Gary,

Since you have Xara, did you get the free access to the online Album? If so, you can try publishing to a subfolder of your site name, but not below Album and see if that works.

Last changed by browj2 on 1/19/2014, 2:53 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

GarryT wrote on 1/19/2014, 3:03 PM

Hi John,

I just tried logging in to the online album through "SHARE - MAGIX ONLINE ALBUM"...asked me to sign in, I did, said I had failed and won't let me try again. I shut down Xara (designer pro x edition) and tried again, but says the same thing, it won't let me try and sign in again.

johnebaker wrote on 1/19/2014, 3:18 PM

Hi

When you started to create the website in Xara did you put the homepage -  index.htm (.html)  -  in the root folder or inside a folder in the root folder used by Xara Pro? The former is what you should be using.

If the latter then your site is probably inside the folder - ie you would have to access it by adding the foldername to the website address as shown in this example for mywebsitename.com

www.mywebsitename.com/foldername/

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/19/2014, 3:18 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

GarryT wrote on 1/19/2014, 3:48 PM

I have emptied my website folder again to start afresh so you can see what I have there.
I exported my page as "index.html" to my website folder.
I then have 4 files -
a folder called "index_html_files"
index
robots
sitemap

Then I clicked on the publish to website icon, everything seems to go through fine, no problems flagged.
But when I go to my website, I get "support services" and this website is registered to me.

Am I doing something wrong?