Panasonic GH5s and AVCIntra Encoder Upgrade € 59,99 !!!

emisiu wrote on 3/27/2018, 4:02 AM

Hi,

I'm using the current version of Magix PRO X (15.0.5.211). Unfortunately, i noticed an issue. The program does not open any files from my Panasonic GH5s camera, which are using 10-bit color format or All-Intra coding.
Trying to open these files reults with an message that I need to acquire a 60 euro All-Intra coded license.

„CODEC ACTIVATION

AVCIntra Encoder Upgrade

€ 59,99”

This is weird, since I checked that an older version of Magix PRO X, 15.0.4.176 open all files from GH5s correctly.

Im able to also open and edit the mentioned files in Magix Pro Edit 2016 (15.0.0.114) which I also have installed on my PC.

I asked some of my friend also working with Magix, and confirmed that the files can be opened in Movie Edit Pro Premium 2018 (18.0.2.166) as well as in Movie Edit Pro 2017.

Please help me clarify this situation, as to why I need to pay additional 60 euro to be able to edit 10-bit files from GH5s and files with All-Intra coding, if previous versions of Magix PRO X can handle them without additional costs, and also all other checked versions of Magix Edit Pro (2016, 2017, 2018).

---

Original GH5s 10-bit sample file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Ohr6UceHEj9ilyZa8y6FM-7s_HC0QZL/view

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 3/27/2018, 10:19 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

First, I think your version number for the latest MEP should be 17.0.2.166, but I can completely confirm your findings: having downloaded your file, attempting to open/play it in VPX 15.0.5.211 immediately produces the on-screen message that purchase and activation of the codec is required! Choosing to close that message screen also causes VPX to close, not good!

Also I can confirm that MEP 17.0.2.166 can and does open and play that same file without problem!

Please raise a support ticket here, referencing this thread.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

emisiu wrote on 3/27/2018, 12:40 PM

Thank you Jeff
I have already sent a ticket to support.

Michal-MST wrote on 3/28/2018, 11:15 AM

Please indicate where in the list there is an upgrade to Pro X with MEP number 17.0.2.166 https://www.magix.info/us/news-forum/patches/

I do not see her there? I see that this is an update to Patch for Video deluxe Premium (2018) - Version 17.0.2.166 !!! In this thread, are we talking about Pro X or a different version?

Emisiu he clearly defined what he is working on

emisiu wrote on 3/27/2018, 11:02 AM

Hi,

I'm using the current version of Magix PRO X (15.0.5.211)

emmrecs wrote on 3/28/2018, 11:42 AM

@Michal-MST

Please read Emisiu's original post very carefully. He/she was pointing out that the AVC Intra codec required a purchased activation in VPX 15.0.5.211, latest version, whereas MEP 17.0.2.166, also latest version, did not. He numbered that version of MEP as 18. My comment was simply pointing out that the latest version of MEP is 17 not 18.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

emisiu wrote on 4/11/2018, 5:56 AM

Greetings,

My problem has been solved by support. I received an activation key and now I can work on files from Panasonic GH5 and GH5s. All "All-Intra" files work as well as those that are 10-bit but not "All-Intra". I have however send some additional questions to the support regarding this problem.

I will let you know what I learned as soon as I get a reply.

Here are the questions:

• 1 - will this activation key still work after upgrading the software to a newer version in the future or when moving the software to a new PC?
  • 2 - why do I need to use this key you sent me (which activates the All-Intra codec) to work with 10-bit files that are NOT using All-Intra?
  • 3 - what has caused the change of the licensing terms of codecs within Magix Pro X, and are there any other new licenses that are now separately purchasable? If so, is a list available of the licenses and prices?
emisiu wrote on 4/13/2018, 7:47 AM

Support answers:

1. Yes you can use the activation even if you upgrade the software or use it on another PC. 

2. (we are exchanging correspondence)

3. The Intra-Codec is the only codec which has changed the actiavtion licenses due to new contracts. 

emisiu wrote on 4/17/2018, 12:46 PM

Support answers:

2. Thank you for the files. The AllIntra Codec is needed because of the 10 bit even if it's recorded with LongGOP because you can't encode such files with a standard codec. So in this case it doesn't matter if the file has been recorded with LongGOP or AllIntra. The program is recognising the 10 bit file and needs another codec and so it is aksing for the AllIntra Codec. 

emisiu wrote on 4/17/2018, 2:35 PM

My answer:

Thank you very much for for your answer. Now everything is clear.

Given the current circumstances, I suggest changing the notification text which shows up when opening a 10-bit AVC coded file. Notice, that when the user tries to open a 10-bit file which is not All-Intra, they will notified that they need to purchase a All-Inta license. It's very confusing and misleading to your customers.

The problem is then amplified by the fact, that with the previous version, the All-Intra coded did not need a separate activation and never saw this message. Furthermore, the users have no idea about the way licensing has changed for the codec.

emisiu wrote on 4/18/2018, 5:49 AM

This support answer ends the topic:

Thank you for your message. I totally understand your thoughts in this case. Since we are using the feedback of our customers in order to improve our products we appreciate your honesty here.