Premium version crashes and reverts back to Free edition during edits

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/13/2022, 7:13 AM

Hi all.

I have an issue in that, I am using the paid for Premium version of Music Maker, and each time I copy a group of objects and move them a bit to the right to change chords, the whole program crashes, and I get an orange window saying I am using the free version even though I have already used more that 8 tracks.

This is a bit infuriating, as I have recently attempted to write some lengthy Score music and thought it was going very well. I try to change chords for a key change. , and 'BOOM'...., everything I have done is 'Gone'! Not a nice thing to happen when nearing the end of a project, as I'm sure some of you may have experienced in the past.

I then get a little Orange window saying that the features I am trying to use are for the 'Free version' and I have to visit the store.

More often than not, it takes forever and a day for the store to synchronise and I usually end up having to keep rebooting my computer.

Anyone know wtf is going on and how I can get around this issue?

Any help would me greatly appreciated.

I am using the 2022 Premium version on Windows 10. I also have the Free version and the 'Plus' versions of Music Maker. I upgraded from the Free version so I could get the extras I needed.

My set up is fine, as I also use Cubase 9.5 pro.

Is there an update somewhere I don't know about?

Thanks Guys n Gals. 👍

Wolfie.R.

Comments

SP. wrote on 7/13/2022, 10:13 AM

@Wolfie-R You can try to download the newest version 2023 from Magix.com Perhaps it runs more stable. Just download the free edition and login with your user account to unlock all your features from version 2022.

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/13/2022, 3:06 PM

Thanks again SP.

I've done that, but haven't done any long pieces of Score yet. Fingers crossed it works. I'll keep you posted. 👍

Thanks again.

Wolfie.

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/15/2022, 6:11 AM

Hi again Guys n gals.

Yet more issues I'm sorry to say.

After upgrading from Premium 2022 to Premium 2023 , (See previous posts), I can clearly see the start up splash has changed, but nothing else has.. except one thing..., 'ALL' of my previously saved projects have disappeared. !! In activated versions, there is No sign of 2023 either.

I'm relatively new to this software and was initially impressed, but now I am not so sure. It also seems I have to be logged on to the internet to do much with it. But I am far from happy that what I saved prior to updates has simply Vanished.

Anybody know where they went??

Wolfie.

SP. wrote on 7/15/2022, 7:34 AM

@Wolfie-R There is a misunderstanding. If you just install Music Maker 2023 without paying you don't upgrade your edition but just update the program, to get some free new features and bugfixes (so that your projects hopefully don't crash any longer). Your last premium editon was edition 2022 and that is why the welcome screen will still show "Premium Edition 2022", even after installing Music Maker 2023.

You will find the version number of Music Maker under the menu Help > About. It should be 31.0.0.6 or 9, depending whether you installed the current newest update or not. Version 31 = Music Maker 2023, version 30 = Music Maker 2022, version 29 = Music Maker 2021 and so on.

To clarify, "Editions" are feature and content packs. If you buy an "Edition" you unlock features like MP3-Export, VST effects and instruments, Soundpool collections in Music Maker. Once unlocked for your user account, the features stay unlocked. Since you already bought the "Premium Edition 2022" you have unlocked features that you can also use in Music Maker 2023, even without buying the "Premium Edition 2023". This is because the unlocked features are bound to your user account. In case you meet someone else who uses Music Maker, you just can use his or her computer and login with your user account and use the same features you have unlocked on your computer.

If you are not connected to the internet the program cannot connect to your user account and doesn't know which features you have unlocked. You can disable internet after you are logged in but not before or the program will run in free editon mode.

You can look up all your folders under the menu File > Settings > Program Settings > Folders. The Project folder should be located at C:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\Documents\MAGIX\Music Maker. If you saved all your old projects there, they should be still saved in this folder.

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/15/2022, 7:46 AM

Hi again SP.

I have got the 31.0.0.9 version installed. I have checked everywhere for my saved files of what I saved before I updated to this version, but they are nowhere to be found.

Wolfie.

SP. wrote on 7/15/2022, 8:16 AM

@Wolfie-R Try to search your whole hard drive for files of the file type MMM with the help of the Windows seach function.

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/15/2022, 8:34 AM

Just tried that.

I see MM files of sounds etc., but no saved projects anywhere. I also noticed other MM folders in the program that are empty. I don't know if this has any bearing on it or not.

I appreciate this software is new to me, but it is simple enough to find my way around. But I have had a few bugs with it which started 2 or 3 days after I installed it. No problems getting soundpools or using them.., just crashes here and there, which was annoying because nothing saved so had to do it again and hope for no crashes, hence the update you suggested.

It seems more stable ( so far).., but no sign of any saved work anywhere on my computer.

Wolfie.

johnebaker wrote on 7/15/2022, 10:43 AM

@Wolfie-R

Hi

. . . . but no sign of any saved work anywhere on my computer. . . . .

Did you use the search term *.MMM in Windows File Explorer if not try it, and search the entire c: drive if you only have one drive or the drive that you saved the project files to.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/15/2022, 12:34 PM

Hi John.

Yes, I have tried that, but all that shows is something I did last night, and an idea I did earlier today.

There is no sign whatsoever of any of the other things I did when I first started using it.

They were there last night as I opened one of them.., (A long piece of musical score) to do a bit more work to it. But when I started the program earlier today, I noticed that nothing I saved before is there, or anywhere else on my computer. I am as confused about this as you are.

Regards

Wolfie.

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/15/2022, 12:43 PM

Another thing I would like to add which apmost slipped my mind.., I note that when samples (objects) are dropped into the workspace, they are still 'ogg' format even though I requested 'Wav' for each Soundpool.

Regards

Wolfie.

johnebaker wrote on 7/15/2022, 1:47 PM

@Wolfie-R

Hi

. . . . They were there last night as I opened one of them . . . .

Where were they:

• In a folder inside your Documents folder?

• On your Desktop - either in a folder or as individual files?

• On an external drive - or where?

This may seem and odd question, were the various projects saved with different names for the project?

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

SP. wrote on 7/15/2022, 2:38 PM

@Wolfie-R Have you deleted and downloaded the Soundpools again? If you downloaded them in OGG format they will stay in OGG format until you redownload them in WAV format. Just changing the format in the settings is not enough.

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/17/2022, 2:26 PM

@Wolfie-R

Hi

. . . . They were there last night as I opened one of them . . . .

Where were they:

• On an external drive - or where?

This may seem and odd question, were the various projects saved with different names for the project?

John EB

Hi John,

They were in the list when I select 'open project' just after loading up. But then all vanished except the score demo.

Wolfie.

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/17/2022, 2:32 PM

@Wolfie-R Have you deleted and downloaded the Soundpools again? If you downloaded them in OGG format they will stay in OGG format until you redownload them in WAV format. Just changing the format in the settings is not enough.

Hi, No, I haven't done that. So is it safe to say I make note of the sound pools I have , delete them all, and there's no charge for re downloading them in wav format?

johnebaker wrote on 7/17/2022, 2:46 PM

@Wolfie-R

Hi

. . . . They were in the list when I select 'open project' just after loading up. But then all vanished except the score demo. . . . .

Not quite what I meant - my error I was not clear enough.

The list which appears on the start up screen under the Opened last section and in the File, My projects option in the program were cleared when you upgraded to 2023.

To clarify where were the project MMM files saved to:

• On an external drive ?

• on OneDrive

Also did you give the project files different names when saving them?

John EB

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/17/2022, 3:04 PM

Hi again John. I didn't create a folder to save them to.., just saved within the program. It no major issue, I can do them again at some point.

Thanks again

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/17/2022, 3:05 PM

Hi, No, I haven't done that. So is it safe to say I make note of the sound pools I have , delete them all, and there's no charge for re downloading them in wav format?

Wolfie-R wrote on 7/17/2022, 3:09 PM

Hi again. I was going through my sound pools and changed the format of 2 or 3 with no issues. I just deleted Classical Score 1 and 2 , and when I can't download it again. There's a symbol and when I click on it, it says already purchased, but it's now deleted. How can I get those back?

johnebaker wrote on 7/17/2022, 4:10 PM

@Wolfie-R

Hi

. . . . I didn't create a folder to save them to.., just saved within the program. . . . .

Thanks for the information. The project files will be in the default folder specified by @SP. above ie:

Documents, MAGIX, Music Maker

Using Windows File Explorer they will appear in the Details view either:

with no file extension showing

or

with file extension showing - indicated by red arrow

In either case you can see the file type is Music Maker project

HTH

John EB

David-Barselow wrote on 9/8/2022, 7:57 PM

Hi Wolfie-R, I was just browsing the community and seen your post I also wondered if your problems have gone away. If not, make all necessary backups and then uninstall Magix Music Maker and the any installer you have on oyur pc. Then wait for 24 hrs. and then login to your account and download your version installer don't forget to copy your license if you don't already have it handy. You see sometimes servers and the server o.s. have trouble when converting from one version of software to another, some settings will get stuck in a loop and causes malfunctions in the software leading into a domino effect of all sorts of malfunctions

slvrtrz3000 wrote on 4/18/2024, 12:01 AM

I am having the exact same problem. I have Magix Music Maker 2024 and I have been working on a song for a few hours today April 17 2024 after 13 years absence of not creating anything, logged into my MM account, switched off my laptop WiFi and kept making music and now with two backup music copies I made to the laptop hard drive and a flashdrive now Music Maker refuses to open up either one. Wi-Fi currently also refuses to let me log on so I put everything away and will start fresh later. Looks like MM has deleted my new song.

Also more than once like other MM users the premium version on my laptop reverts to the free version even though I paid for the premium service.