Previous purchase of program now requires additional fees?

Christopher-Martin wrote on 4/2/2021, 10:42 PM

I have been using Magix Music Maker since 2003. I have upgraded each additional year after that up to 2016. I recently got a new computer and once again re installed all downloadable versions of the program that I have from the online store. I also upgraded to both Music Maker 2020 and Music maker 2021 but I was not impressed with the new way everything works as the new versions require me to re-purchase all of the VST instruments that I had already previously used with each new version of the program up to 2016. After I re-installed every version I had including Music maker 17, MX, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 as well as 2020 and 2021 I went into each program starting with the earliest and scanned for all VST instruments on my computer. Since 2016 was the last version I liked to use I loaded it as well as a previous project and a pop up came up saying that the codec for some of the VST instruments needs to be purchased and activated online in order for me to use it for the 2016 version. I have already spent a few hundred dollars over the years upgrading each edition that came out and now I have to purchase the instruments again? Can someone please help me with this. I shouldn't have to re purchase VST instruments and other plugin's that I have been using for years just because your company decided to do a complete overhaul of how the program is purchased and downloaded.

Comments

Graham-Hawker wrote on 4/3/2021, 1:02 AM

but I was not impressed with the new way everything works as the new versions require me to re-purchase all of the VST instruments that I had already previously used with each new version of the program up to 2016.

Since 2016 was the last version I liked to use I loaded it as well as a previous project and a pop up came up saying that the codec for some of the VST instruments needs to be purchased and activated online in order for me to use it for the 2016 version. .

You don't need to repurchase instruments. As long as you are logged into the shop you should be able to download all previous content in new versions.

On the second point I'm not sure what is happening here especially the use of the word "codec" in relation to vst instruments. More information is needed.

emmrecs wrote on 4/3/2021, 4:16 AM

@Christopher-Martin

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums, so not a contact for any Magix staff. So, this is NOT our company!

As @Graham-Hawker says, there is no need to repurchase any instruments, merely entering the previous versions serial keys should ensure that all previous purchases are available to you. Some may need to be redownloaded because of the change in MM 2021 to the 64 bit engine.

However, can I just check something with you (and this is a problem that has been encountered by a number of users!)? You say you upgraded to both Music Maker 2020 and Music maker 2021. In the case of the 2020 version the only upgrade that would have been necessary would have been if you were changing from the Free version to Plus, or Plus to Premium, or even Free to Premium. Unless this was the case you actually updated to 2020.

However, because MM 2021 is the first 64 bit version, it is viewed by Magix as a "new" program. If you updated MM 2020 to MM 2021 what you now have is the Free (Basic) variant of the app because, to have either the Plus or Premium variants you need to buy the upgrade.

So, what is your situation? If you did not buy that upgrade then that would at least partially explain the difficulty you are seeing in accessing and, instead, being asked to repurchase at least some of the previously-purchased instruments.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D

Christopher-Martin wrote on 4/3/2021, 7:33 AM

@Christopher-Martin

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums, so not a contact for any Magix staff. So, this is NOT our company!

As @Graham-Hawker says, there is no need to repurchase any instruments, merely entering the previous versions serial keys should ensure that all previous purchases are available to you. Some may need to be redownloaded because of the change in MM 2021 to the 64 bit engine.

However, can I just check something with you (and this is a problem that has been encountered by a number of users!)? You say you upgraded to both Music Maker 2020 and Music maker 2021. In the case of the 2020 version the only upgrade that would have been necessary would have been if you were changing from the Free version to Plus, or Plus to Premium, or even Free to Premium. Unless this was the case you actually updated to 2020.

However, because MM 2021 is the first 64 bit version, it is viewed by Magix as a "new" program. If you updated MM 2020 to MM 2021 what you now have is the Free (Basic) variant of the app because, to have either the Plus or Premium variants you need to buy the upgrade.

So, what is your situation? If you did not buy that upgrade then that would at least partially explain the difficulty you are seeing in accessing and, instead, being asked to repurchase at least some of the previously-purchased instruments.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Christopher-Martin wrote on 4/3/2021, 7:37 AM

I think I might see what you mean with entering the serial keys. The start up box when you login to the shop on the 2021 edition does have a box for a serial number that doesn’t go away. I thought that was just to register the version you are using. I will input all of my previous serial numbers to see if that helps.

Christopher-Martin wrote on 4/3/2021, 3:30 PM

That definitely worked. I guess I was just so used to the way the program worked with the much older versions but I got my VST instruments back without having to go scan the other versions I have installed just to add them to the new version. So thank you for your advice, both of you

browj2 wrote on 4/3/2021, 4:00 PM

@Christopher-Martin

Hi,

As well, after putting in all of your old serial numbers, click on Help, Music Maker Store, and select activated content. You should see a listing of everything Music Maker that you have activated.

Under the Downloads tab, you probably will have to download and install all instruments which will give you the 64 bit versions.

For Soundpools, you have to Add Soundpools and navigate to the root folder to get everything to show up under the Loops tab.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(14); Movie Studio 2023 Platinum; MM2023 with MM2022 Premium Edition; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 21H1; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.