Product confusion

Meesha-Kropp wrote on 12/17/2021, 4:10 PM

Hi, all

Hoping for some clarification from anyone that understands the differences between several products. It looks like I've paid for multiple products all doing the same thing and I don't understand what the update service means. Here goes:

I purchased Xara Pro X365 with update service until Aug 31, 2022

I purchased Xara Pro x16 last activated on 12/17/21 (I don't know what "activated" means because I just updated it when I got a message pop up to update.

Now I am getting info on Xara Pro x18 and it wants to charge me $99.

I don't understand the difference between the products and nowhere does anything tell me the difference (not the compare products page either). Am I entitled to Pro x18? Is that different from Pro x365? Are they two different products? Which one should I be using?

I am SO confused! Thanks for any help you can give me! Peace. Meesha

Comments

browj2 wrote on 12/17/2021, 9:16 PM

@Meesha-Kropp

Hi Meesha,

Yes, it's rather confusing.

Xara Designer Pro X (XDPX) is the program. 365 was a nomenclature that Xara/Magix used because, with a new purchase or payment for an upgrade, you got the Update Service for 365 days. The Update Service gives you access to the on-line catalogue for 1 year (365 days) and you get updates and upgrades during that period.

Xara/Magix releases two or three updates (new features) to the program per year plus patches (bug fixes), and a new version about every year.

If you purchased or upgraded (paid to extend the Update Service) XDPX and got version 17, you can get version 18 if it comes out before your 365 days ends, etc. Caveat: You have paid for the version that was available at the time of payment. The rest is considered as an advance that you can keep so long as you don't have to reinstall the program if your Update Service period has expired and you haven't renewed. If you do have to reinstall, you fall back to the version that was available when you last paid.

If you don't renew, the program keeps on working, you no longer get access to the on-line catalogue (which you should have downloaded), and you no longer get any updates or upgrades. Also, your Xara on-line stuff that is actually Magix - domain name (M-Hosting package), will be charged to you when its expiry rolls around. If you don't use that part, then no problem. If you do, like me, you will have to pay a small amount annually to maintain the on-line access and your domain name. That is all.

Since version 18.5 has been out for quite a while, so long as your Update Service period has not expired, you can download and install version 18.5. Just activate it with your existing activation code for V17. However, if you don't install it prior to the expiry of your Update Service period, then you can't get it without paying.

To wrap it up, if you don't intend to renew at all or right away, then make sure to have downloaded everything in the on-line content catalogue that you can, make sure to have installed the latest version and patch that you can get before the Update Service period expires.

If your Update Service is still active, ignore adverts to upgrade/renew; everybody on the list gets them. You will be advised in the program, a month before the end of your Update Service, to renew. I suggest letting it expire and waiting until well after the next version has been released with at least one patch, unless, of course, that you have to reinstall and have fallen back to a previous version.

Do not buy Xara twice. If you have Xara Designer Pro X, you have everything. Do not buy Xara Web Designer Premium or Photo & Graphics as they are only parts of Xara Designer Pro X - you already have them in one package. Xara Designer Pro X contains everything in these two programs plus Xara Page & Layout Designer, and, supposedly, there is a little bit more.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos