I believe you brought up this topic in a support ticket we had. Not completely sure whether that was before or after the most recent patch. Either way, I cannot confirm this to be a general problem. I just tried it again, and it works perfectly fine. I also don't have any other problem reports on this particular topic at support.
I think I outlined the recommended workflow in our support ticket: When you first start working on a project, make sure to save it under a chosen name via the "Save as" function. This will ensure you know the location and the name under which the incremental, automatic back-ups will be saved. They will be created in that very location, with "_BAKx" being added to the file name, and the file extension being "MM_" (instead of "MMM" for regular Music Maker project files). I had customers that were under the impression before the function wasn't working, just because weren't able to identify those files as the back-up files, or weren't sure how to load them. I don't think that's the case with you, though. Your message seems to imply that this system was working for you before.
The only other thing that comes to mind, and that we are also familiar with from the Movie Edit Pro side, seems to be somehow related to Windows user account rights or rights for our program installation being out of whack. The same users that had problems with the program e.g. not being able to write to the INI file and memorise the chosen settings were also the ones for whom the auto-save function apparently failed to write the files. So, as you can see, the information on this is somewhat vague, and thus it's hard for me to derive anything like a reliable solution from it. You might want to try a reinstallation. Or, if you were using the software under a restricted account so far, try whether you get the same problem when running it under an admin account.
Hope this helps to maybe point you in the right direction.
Not using a restricted user account but experiencing erratic behavior. I started a project the other day and performed a 'save as'. As that project progressed I would add a number to the title. When I asked the MM to load a backup a couple of days later only the original project had backups, the newer amended file name titles had no backups. Original project "BrokenGlass" after several hours of work saved as "BrokenGlass2" etc. etc. only have backup files on "BrokenGlass". Thanks for the help MM is a powerful music tool.
#ralftaro Started a project tonight. Backups were happening every 3 minutes but oddly stopped at 8:28, I noticed this at 8:50 and took a screen shot. I perform standard saves often when I'm editing MIDI and once in awhile after doing so will check by starting a 'load backup'.
Hmm, tricky. Obviously, I cannot retrace your steps, but I can think of another few scenarios that would explain why a back-up file isn't created (or is deleted again), e.g. if you perform actual manual project saves, would would cancel out the need to any back-up files that were created in the meantime. Also, further back-up files will, of course, only be created as long as incremental changes to the project are still being made. If you were to test the auto-saving by simply sitting there with your stop watch, waiting for the next back-up file to be created, that would explain the problem. I'm not saying that's what you did, but just throwing around a few ideas and potential explanations.
That said, I've been messing around with this functionality in Music Maker for the past few hours, and I might have managed to "break" the auto-saving here as well. 😎 It's now just a question of how reliably I can replicate this. I'll run it past the devs for their attention.