Sound Forge 6.0 has stopped working

UGB wrote on 3/3/2020, 4:28 PM

I have 6.0 build 132 and every time I open the program it tries to register on Sony's site, which isn't there anymore, so it no longer will render MP3's and doesn't even see the CD/DVD driver to rip or save audio files. Any tips? This is my legit version I've been using for years and now it's behaving this way. Thanks.

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/4/2020, 12:49 PM

I would first try the elevated privilege registry tweak, a common issue with SF Pro 10, though I have not heard of this issue in SF-6, possibly because very few use it these days.

Otherwise, If you are not comfortable going into the registry, or it does not help, download SF-6 (II) from the Magix Download Center. You will need your Magix log-in info and your SF-6 serial number.
Uninstall the SF-6 in your PC. I recommend uninstalling Sound Forge with a third-party uninstaller that can remove leftover register entries, folders and other obsolete data. (the OS uninstall leaves much of this 'trash' behind). I like the Revo Uninstaller, both the freeware version and pro version work well.
Install SF-6 (II) and it should register through Magix. You should consider upgrading to a more current version of SF. There is a 30 day trial version of Pro 13 you can try.

UGB wrote on 3/6/2020, 7:33 PM

Thank you very much for the info. I will try that out asap.

UGB wrote on 3/7/2020, 7:54 AM

After digging deeper I'm certainly not comfortable messing around with the registry data so I will try the download method. Should I delete my current version first, then download and install?

rraud wrote on 3/7/2020, 9:06 AM

Yes uninstall with Revo or clean the registry after uninstall. The default Win uninstaller leaves behind the critical reg folder that cause the problem in the first place, at least with SF 10. You could try a repair install though (install w/o uninstall).,

Prior to the uninstall ... you could try to reset SF, though I'm not sure it is the same for legacy versions Hold the 'Ctrl+Shift' keys, whilst double-clicking on the SF .exe or desktop shortcut.
You should see a popup window with a check box, 'Delete all cached application data',  click on 'Yes' will reset SF to the original installation program settings and delete the  cached application data which can sometimes cause a malfunction.

UGB wrote on 3/7/2020, 6:07 PM

I downloaded Revo and used it after the uninstall. I then downloaded SF 6.0 and installed it. Again, it tried to register and because Sonic Foundry's site is no longer there it can't so it tells me I have a 30 day trial version even though it acknowledged my serial number. I was able to edit a wav file and render it to an MP3, and, interestingly enough, it made me register the MP3 converter and that went fine. However, when I try to rip from a CD I'm still getting the 'you don't have admin authority to do this' type message which I am the sole user of this PC so I don't understand where that's coming from. I guess I was able to do one thing but not another. For 30 days at least. Thank you again.

rraud wrote on 3/8/2020, 10:57 AM

Did you download SF-6 from Magix? SF-9 activates w/o issue, not sure about SF-6. Contact the Magix customer service sales team, they normally handle activation issues. Sorry I cannot help more, forum moderators are not Magix employees.

You may try changing Administrative Privilege settings in the compatibility properties. in the <exe> file or the shortcut.

UGB wrote on 3/8/2020, 11:52 AM

Yes, I downloaded 6.0 from the Magix site. I'll contact customer service. I'm not pc savy enough to try and change Admin Privilege. I'm more of a plug and play kinda guy. ;) Thanks again.

johnebaker wrote on 3/8/2020, 3:51 PM

@UGB

Hi

To change a program to run with admin privileges do the following:

1. Right click on the program icon
  2. Select Properties
  3. Select the Compatibility tab in the window that opens.
  4. Check Run this program as an administrator and click Apply
  5. Click OK to exit the window.

When you start the program you will be asked if you want to allow it to make changes - click Yes.

You can reverse this change any time - repeat the above and uncheck the option in step 4 above.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderaotr

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

UGB wrote on 3/8/2020, 6:19 PM

So, the good news is I have admin control now and can rip and burn to CD's, thank you very much. Unfortunately it still is looking to register on the Sonic Foundry site, can't, and thus I'm now down to 29 days in a trial.

UGB wrote on 3/19/2020, 6:45 PM

So with the latest Windows 10 update my SoundForge and AcidPro 7.0 are not liking the change. I think I really need to upgrade SoundForge to a current version but I'm not sure which one. All I use it for is to trim, fade, normalize, then render to an MP3 or wave. I'm thinking the most basic version will do those?

rraud wrote on 3/20/2020, 12:26 PM

Sound Forge has those features, The GUI in AS is a little different from that of SF Pro, so it may take some time to get used to it. Download the demo to try it out.. You should be able to get the upgrade discount on Pro 14 since you have SF-6.

diane-b wrote on 3/21/2020, 6:22 AM

While I've never had the problem mentioned, I'd like to say that I have tried a few newer versions than SF6 and have always gone back. Recently tried v13 and it takes an interminable time to run 'statistics', which is a complete deal breaker. Why mess with something that works? I have both Windows 7 and 10 machines, each with Ryzen Gen 2, 16GB RAM and an M2 NVME drive, so it's not the PC. Nothing beats SF6 for audio editing!

rraud wrote on 3/21/2020, 12:48 PM

Statistics take longer because loudness data in now measured. Good for 'integrated' LK measurement ( and significantly faster than real-time). I use it a lot, but It would be nice to have the option to shut off that parameter if it is not needed.

UGB wrote on 3/21/2020, 1:37 PM

Skip to about the 37 second point in this video to see what's happening now. It was happening a year and a half ago. Every time I use an FX in SoundForge or AcidPro 7.0 I get a support window pop up re Windows 10 via Microsoft Edge, which I don't use. I can't seem to make this go away and I can literally spend dozens of mouse clicks closing these pop up windows. That's aside from the other issues I'm having with SoundForge not rendering files, not registering, etc.

UGB wrote on 3/21/2020, 2:05 PM

I downloaded/installed the basic version of SoundForge and no problem trimming or fading but when I try to Normalize the file there's nothing I can select or do to make it louder. I'm used to the preset in 6.0 of 'Music' that was -16db I believe and that just seems to lower the volume of my file in this version. Plus there's no Wave Hammer to punch it up a tad more. How does one make a file more balanced and louder in this new version? Thanks.

rraud wrote on 3/21/2020, 6:56 PM

-16db would be an RMS normalization setting. Maybe SF AS just has 'Peak' normalizing like VP, typically set to -0.01 dBFS). Or if a file has one peak close to 0.0, little to no volume boost would occur with peak normalize.

Many folks like the free LoudMax limiter plug-in. It does not have the distinct 1176 inspired distortion of Wave Hammer though, if that's what you're looking for.

diane-b wrote on 3/22/2020, 4:37 AM

There is a fix for this in Win 7 and 8, but the Win 10 one does not work. Having spent so much on perfectly good software, there's no way I'm going to buy it all again just so i can use Win 10.

Skip to about the 37 second point in this video to see what's happening now. It was happening a year and a half ago. Every time I use an FX in SoundForge or AcidPro 7.0 I get a support window pop up re Windows 10 via Microsoft Edge, which I don't use. I can't seem to make this go away and I can literally spend dozens of mouse clicks closing these pop up windows. That's aside from the other issues I'm having with SoundForge not rendering files, not registering, etc.

emmrecs wrote on 3/22/2020, 4:47 AM

@diane-b

I understand your frustration but to expect such old software, clearly released for a much earlier version of windows, should continue to work in the current version of the OS is surely unrealisitic. 😇

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam