Sound Forge opening multiple instances instead of multiple windows!

Phil-Hadaway wrote on 8/29/2020, 7:03 AM

This just started! Been using SF for YEARS! When tracking in Reaper OR Vegas, you can click on a file have it open in SF. IF you need to open multiple files and cut and paste, they would all open in different windows within one INSTANCE of SF. Now, when you do that, it opens a new instance of SF for every file! Needless to say, this is a giant PITA! I can point Reaper to SF 12 and it works perfectly. This just started happening with the latest release. What did they do? I need help!

Comments

rraud wrote on 8/29/2020, 11:48 AM

Hi @Phil-Hadaway and welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum, Thank-you for pointing out the abnormality.

I can confirm this behavior in both 32 and 64 bit Sound Forge Pro 14 (build 111). I am not aware of any setting but will look.

Addendum:

This a result of the new "Multi-instancing default", and stated in the release notes. The option to change it back to the legacy builds, was not mentioned though. It is also in the normally hidden "Internal" menu.
- go to the 'Options' menu
- hold 'Shift' key and select 'Preferences'
- select the 'Internal' tab
- find "Force Single Instance behavior" (bottom of list or use search)
- change value from 'FALSE' to "TRUE"
- click 'Apply' and 'OK'
- Exit or restart SF

Phil-Hadaway wrote on 8/31/2020, 12:57 PM

Worked perfectly! Thank you for your help!

sean-mccoy wrote on 9/30/2020, 3:30 PM

Excellent, thanks.

ddawson wrote on 12/1/2020, 9:32 AM

This fix doesn't appear to be available any longer in Vegas 18 - any other suggestions to make the multiple instances of loading Soundforge stop? It's really difficult when I'm doing multiple edits/processes. "Force Single Instance behavior" is no longer on the internal preferences list

rraud wrote on 12/1/2020, 1:09 PM

It is not a VP setting.
It remains the same in subsequent SF Pro 14 builds as well as SF Pro-15.

jethro-dunn wrote on 3/16/2021, 3:59 PM

Thanks for the fix! I've just watched in horror as 100 Sound Forges try to spawn! Good to know I can make it not do that.

Seems really bizarre to change a fundamental behaviour like that then hide the option to switch it back in a super secret hidden menu. Magix are making odd choices with SF.

jethro-dunn wrote on 3/16/2021, 4:07 PM

I don't suppose there's a fix in that secret menu for the thing where... uh how to describe this? It such weird behaviour I don't even know the words. Say I want to save a bunch of sections from an existing file. If I copy and paste as new then save, I expect the file I'm editing to now be the one I just saved... but now it stays as "sound 2" or whatever and it asks if I want to open the newly saved file. Maybe I do but then I still have "Sound 2" hanging around and have to close it, confirming I don't want to save even though I just did save. Maybe I don't want to open it and the same applies when I close "Sound 2". I don't get why they changed that.

EDIT - DOH! I just found that in the regular menu... "reopen after save as". Back to normal now. Spent too long staring at waveforms today I think.

Maciek-Czaplinski wrote on 3/26/2021, 7:03 PM

Hi @Phil-Hadaway and welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum, Thank-you for pointing out the abnormality.
- find "Force Single Instance behavior" (bottom of list or use search)
- change value from 'FALSE' to "TRUE"
- click 'Apply' and 'OK'
- Exit or restart SF

But now when I try to open mp3 files it says Error file type unknown or something similar. I can't just click on the file name, I need to go to open file menu. This is not good. Any fix to my problem? thanks

rraud wrote on 3/27/2021, 11:23 AM

You probably should have started a new post @Maciek-Czaplinski. The MP3 problem has nothing to do with "single/multi Instance behavior".
That said, search this forum for the MP3 issue which unfortunately is fairly common and also occurs in Vegas Pro. In many cases a repair/install can fix it, otherwise uninstall with a third-party uninstaller/cleaner then reinstall is a alternate plan.