Sound Forge Pro 15 builds tutorials - can this be disabled?

arachnaut wrote on 3/20/2021, 10:48 PM

Every time Sound Forge starts a tutorial is built in the system TEMP folder.

This is a fairly large set of files.

I have the startup tutorial window disabled, but that doesn't disable the creation of the files.

When I close Sound Forge, these files get deleted and then rebuilt the next time. Perhaps that is due to my preference setting to delete Temp files.

But, nevertheless, once one goes through these tutorials, it would be nice to disable the re-creation.

I think this worked the same in previous versions.

Shouldn't this be part of a permanent installation and not self-generated?

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/21/2021, 10:51 AM

Hi @arachnaut,
Go to the "Help" menu and select "Interactive Tutorials". At the bottom-left of the tutorial window, there is a "Show at start up" option. Clear the check-mark.

arachnaut wrote on 3/21/2021, 11:11 AM

I have that unchecked.

But I still get the tutorials created at the start and destroyed at close of Sound Forge.

Before:

At startup:

:

And after closing Sound Forge, it all goes away again.

I think this should be permanently installed in the program AppData or ProgramData folder.

rraud wrote on 3/22/2021, 1:47 PM

I have not experienced the tutorial issue in Pro 15 (or earlier), nor has anyone else reported it on this forum up til now, I have looked and cannot find a setting or install option, Someone with the problem should investigate @arachnaut's link or contact Magix Tech Support.

Maybe a third-party uninstaller, reinstall will help?

arachnaut wrote on 3/22/2021, 3:50 PM

Watch this YouTube video in 4K to see how it happens in Sound Forge 15 and 14 on my desktop.

SFTutor behavior in SF 15 and 14

My laptop runs Sound Forge 12 and it exhibits the exact same behavior.

This is not an installation issue, nor a bug, it is a deliberate design, and, in my opinion, a poor one.

It might be considered an installation issue because the installer could create these tutorials (permanently - in, say, AppData) and the run-time would not have to extract the files every time it starts up.

Meanwhile, the kludge mentioned on the link in the Cakewalk forum works fine.

That shows how to replace the web file structure in the file 'forge.tut' with a minimal set of folders and no files. Probably one would need to do this on every update.

I don't like it when users have to adapt files just so they get a behavior they like. It can cause configuration topologies to get chaotic with certain user types modding their gear and all doing things differently.

rraud wrote on 3/22/2021, 6:04 PM

The tutorials do not build on my PC with either Pro 14 or 15. I never installed the trial versions, if that is a common denominator?

arachnaut wrote on 3/22/2021, 7:16 PM

I have not installed the trial version.

I have also not done full installs because I already have RX8 and some of the other stuff. I just installed Sound Forge Pro 15 in isolation without uninstalling Sound Forge 14. I did not reset the preferences or caches so some things may been inherited from the distant past.

I did the same with Sound Forge 14 and 12 and many other prior versions.

I have used Sound Forge when it was a Sony product and before that when it was first made by Sonic Foundry.

As evidenced in my link to the Cakewalk forum, I am not alone in seeing this behavior.

If the tutorials do not build on your system, what happens when you click on the interactive links? Were they pre-installed somewhere?

arachnaut wrote on 3/22/2021, 7:18 PM

I remember seeing something in the installer about a system notifier application - I did not install that.

arachnaut wrote on 3/22/2021, 9:15 PM

I installed SF15 on my living room media computer, I don't use it for sound editing, this was just a test.

I only installed and authorized SF15. This is the Pro version and Windows is version 20H2 build 19042.662.

I have the install log but it is over 2 Mb in size so I won't post it here. But I will list all references to the string 'tutor':

MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:38:027]: Feature: tutor; Installed: Absent;   Request: Local;   Action: Local
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:38:027]: Component: tutor; Installed: Absent;   Request: Local;   Action: Local;   Client State: Unknown
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:38:761]: SECREPAIR: Hash Value for the file:tutor.cab is: xb1odbV6ktQx6xI8YuT58YxOJH+SLdSYApYD4C97dRQ=
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:39:589]: The file represented by File table key 'tutor_forge.tut' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:39:589]: The file represented by File table key 'tutor_forgechs.tut' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:39:589]: The file represented by File table key 'tutor_forgejpn.tut' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:39:589]: The file represented by File table key 'tutor_sftutor.dll' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:605]: Executing op: ChangeMedia(,MediaPrompt=Please insert the disk: ,MediaCabinet=1\tutor.cab,BytesPerTick=65536,CopierType=1,,,SignatureRequired=0,,,IsFirstPhysicalMedia=1)
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:605]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=L19Nux8N|forge.tut,SourceCabKey=tutor_forge.tut,DestName=forge.tut,Attributes=0,FileSize=39158499,PerTick=65536,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,Version=0,Language=0,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:605]: Source for file 'tutor_forge.tut' is compressed
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:636]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=Hr9v8j2b|forgechs.tut,SourceCabKey=tutor_forgechs.tut,DestName=forgechs.tut,Attributes=0,FileSize=39149078,PerTick=65536,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,Version=0,Language=0,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:636]: Source for file 'tutor_forgechs.tut' is compressed
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:652]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=BfK7V482|forgejpn.tut,SourceCabKey=tutor_forgejpn.tut,DestName=forgejpn.tut,Attributes=0,FileSize=39180463,PerTick=65536,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,Version=0,Language=0,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:652]: Source for file 'tutor_forgejpn.tut' is compressed
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:683]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=PB38kmsT|sftutor.dll,SourceCabKey=tutor_sftutor.dll,DestName=sftutor.dll,Attributes=0,FileSize=7917056,PerTick=65536,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,Version=1.0.0.2466,Language=0,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:683]: File: C:\Program Files\SOUND FORGE\SOUND FORGE Pro 15.0\sftutor.dll;    To be installed;    Won't patch;    No existing file
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:40:683]: Source for file 'tutor_sftutor.dll' is compressed
MSI (s) (20:08) [17:45:44:280]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=tutor,,Absent=2,Component=}GHhD[GzM=-,3Rot1}Lu)

After startup and authorization, I clicked 'no', or unchecked, on the initial startup window for tutorials, exited and started again.

I saw the same response. The tutorial were created in the Temp folder at startup and deleted on exit of SF15.

arachnaut wrote on 3/23/2021, 3:14 PM

If the tutorials do not build on your system, what happens when you click on the interactive links? Were they pre-installed somewhere?

rraud wrote on 3/23/2021, 4:48 PM

When SF is launched there is no indication or tutorials loading. and they open as they should (AFAIK) There are no files in the C:\Temp when tutorials are active or not.

btw, what build are your running? I currently have build 27, the current latest I believe. before that, build 13, which may have been a beta.

arachnaut wrote on 3/23/2021, 5:33 PM

I am running build 27.

I was not clear.

The place to look is set in the environment %TEMP% variable.

For most that is C:\Windows\Temp, I think. For me it is set to C:\Temp.

In the video I opened %TEMP%.not C:\Temp

I asked where the interactive files were found on your system. That might give me a clue.

So you should go to the help menu and click on the interactive tutor and open one of the tutorial links , then check the resource monitor for open files or however you locate that stuff.

arachnaut wrote on 3/23/2021, 6:15 PM

I checked on another computer and the environment TEMP and TMP point to user APPData\Local\Temp or something like that.

The important thing is to find the location of the file data used to display the interactive tutorials and see if they are dynamically made or were they somehow installed.

There is no installation flag or parameter that would make this optional or set a user location that I can find.

rraud wrote on 3/24/2021, 10:52 AM

There are no Magix or Sound Forge tutorial files in 'AppData> Local' or 'Roaming'. In MAGIX> Roaming , there is a "Tutor" folder though which is empty whether 'Tutorial' is active or not
In any case, the 'Interactive Tutorial' utility works w/o issue in my Win 10 PC and does not hinder SF launch or performance. If it is a issue for anyone, contact Magix Sound Forge Tech Support
Requesting a Magix support ticket is a convoluted mess, but do not blame me. below is a cheat sheet)
1. Select the "SUPPORT" at the top of the page
2. Choose your product (Sound Forge Pro for instance)
3. Click the "Ask Support" box on bottom right of page
4. Under "I NEED HELP WITH" >> choose "Music" or other generalized category and ignore the "Perhaps this will help you" option
5. Further down on the page choose your product (again)
6. At the bottom-right, click the blue button "SEARCH FOR OTHER SOLUTIONS"
7. Enter a keyword and click the "FIND A SOLUTION" button
8. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "SEND A SUPPORT REQUEST"
9. Log in to your account (again) if necessary. You can also change the subject text / keyword.
10. "Describe your issue" in the text box.
11. Select "Submit"
12. Click "OK"

arachnaut wrote on 3/24/2021, 12:11 PM

Interactive performance is not hindered for me either, but the launch is affected, although by a very small amount. I don't think that is the point I am making. It is the necessity of the creation process that I object to. If it doesn't bother you - fine, but it does bother the programmer part of me. All I care about is turning the creation process OFF. I sometimes call SF many times from my DAW and see no need to go through that step each time.

It is not Appdata Local or Roaming, it is Appdata (local or roaming) \Temp or wherever the Temp variable points to on your system. 'Temp' will probably be in the folder name. I have always set it to 'C:\Temp' so I can find it easily. Some programs ignore that variable and automatically use the fixed path 'C:\Windows\Temp' or other root drive depending on the install path.

You can find that folder by entering %Temp% in a file explorer window or looking into Settings and in 'Find a setting' type 'environment' and you will see the environment variables. Look at the ones called TEMP and TMP and go there. Or you can type 'Set' in a command prompt to list all the environment variables and look for TEMP and TMP.

If the video I posted does not make it clear that these are being created and destroyed dynamically by the last two versions of Sound Forge and the experience of others in the Cakewalk forum link I posted - I don't know what else I can say.

The folder that is created is called:

'SfTutor SOUND FORGE Pro Version 15.0 (Build 27) 64-bit' for SF 15

'SfTutor SOUND FORGE Pro Version 14.0 (Build 130) 64-bit' for SF 14

So it shows the version and build of Sound Forge.

You could perform a search for that folder name if all else fails.

If you don't see it being created, the folders must exist on your system, so you could report exactly where they reside and I can move the files there so it doesn't get built for me, perhaps if that folder exists it will not be recreated elsewhere. The tutorial runs in an IE frame so it should be possible to see the URL for the path to the frame and thereby the location of the file. This is launched by the OOBE (out of box experience feature) in Windows, sometimes called 'Show Me'.

This is not a bug, it is a design. I doubt that something that has existed for so long will get much attention by support. It may have been inherited in the code base from Sony.

I have many earlier installations of Sound Forge and I have kept them all back to the early days of Windows. I wanted to go back to see when it first appeared. I see in the SF 15, SF 14, and SF 12, the only installation I have kept alive on my personal gear. When I went back to re-install Sound Forge 11, which was the last SONY build, it required me to install old .NET routines to complete the install and I did not want to do that. So I stopped looking down that path.

Since this discussion appears to be deadlocked, I will try going the Support route.

Thanks for your help in this. Stay safe and be well.

rraud wrote on 3/24/2021, 1:27 PM

For those who are curious, please update the thread as to what support says.
Thanks @arachnaut.

arachnaut wrote on 3/24/2021, 1:43 PM

The support ticket is Removed by Moderator

I will reply with the resolution.

By the way, the pro audio support request form has a huge drop down menu for product names, like Samplitude, etc. But Sound Forge does not appear in the drop down, so I hope it gets routed to the appropriate team.

rraud wrote on 3/24/2021, 2:35 PM

If you choose 'Music' a sub-menu has 'Sound Forge'.. It will probably get to the Sound Forge folks anyway if 'Sound Forge' was mentioned somewhere. You should have received a Ticket # email.

arachnaut wrote on 4/24/2021, 1:38 PM

I have not heard back from Magix developers about this.

The latest update - build 45 - does not change the issue for me.

arachnaut wrote on 5/19/2021, 8:37 PM

I still have not heard from Magix about this.

The latest release they call Build 57 still exhibits this problem.