SoundForge 17

Hi-NRG2 wrote on 11/8/2023, 4:52 PM

Hi,

I have just purchased SoundForge 17 Pro and noticed that Speaker placement keeps defaulting to Discrete #2 even though I choose Stereo every single time. What is Discrete #2 and if it's problematic to the recording how do I set Stereo to be the main default option?

Is their some kind of setting or registry change I can make?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you for your time.

Comments

rraud wrote on 11/9/2023, 10:29 AM

Hi @Hi-NRG2, I cannot find any difference recording a two-channel source using discrete #2 or stereo.

btw, a sample rate setting 768kHz is way over over-kill. 44.1k or 48kHz is usually sufficient. Though many studios track music or S/FX at 88k, 96k or 192kHz. Dialog is usually recorded at 48kHz for movies and TV.

Hi-NRG2 wrote on 11/9/2023, 11:37 AM

Hi rraud, okay thank you for letting me know! I wasn't sure if that impacted anything but I will just use discrete #2 since it defaults to it.

Ah okay thank you for your insight into bitrate!

rraud wrote on 11/9/2023, 3:33 PM

Ah okay thank you for your insight into bitrate!

Sample rate and bit rate are different, Bitrate generally applies to the data compression setting in MP3, AAC and other lossy file types. Bit rate and bit depth are different as well. PCM files have a bit depth parameter, lossy types do not. Sample rate affects the frequency, bit depth affects the dynamic range.

Hi-NRG2 wrote on 11/9/2023, 3:45 PM

Thank you for your explanation into the differences its helpful!

scott-gorman wrote on 11/9/2023, 4:02 PM

I've upgraded to ver 17.0.2 build 109 and 'elastique Timestretch will not calculate correctly. The "Original" is always at 10.048 sec no matter how long the project selection is. Trying to get the correct length is now a guessing game.

rraud wrote on 11/10/2023, 9:54 AM

Hi @scott-gorman, in the future, please start a new topic for unrelated issues.

That said, I cannot duplicate the 'elastique Timestretch behavior in either Sound Forge Pro 17 or Audio Studio 17.
If this occurs with MP3 files, try enabling "Always proxy compressed formats" in the 'Options> Preferences> General' menu. If it occurs with all file types, try resetting and clearing the cache, "Reset all preferences and clear cached data" in the 'File' menu.]

Edit, OP typo

craig-d wrote on 11/13/2023, 3:29 AM

hi @scott-gorman, the correct track time should show up once you click 'preview'...for me this works every time...when you load the program the time isn't the accurate time, only when you click preview...but then you're good to go. hope this helps!

Thomas-SL wrote on 12/5/2023, 12:22 PM

"Discrete" usually implies that there are separate, distinct audio channels. Discrete #2 could refer to a specific configuration with multiple audio channels beyond just the standard left and right. The exact meaning of "Discrete #2" would depend on the specific context or software device you are using. It's possible that in your software, it represents an alternative audio configuration with more than two channels, could be possible you can't hear these both discrete channels in a stereo on some devices for this reason.

I think this should be fixed, in order to have configuration freedom with all devices seriously.