Status of the future of ACID?

Ayo wrote on 1/23/2024, 1:17 AM

Hi all,

I currently run AP11 and gotta admit it's been pretty good to me for the most part except for a few minor flaws like crashing on my gargantuan projects (which makes sense to me, praying for my PC & its components)

I'm curious to see if anyone knows any updates on whether or not the program is still being worked on or not? I feel like It would be cool to see some more personalization / manual adjustments settings be implemented in the future alike how we have custom Keystrokes, Quick Bar, More skin variations etc. But obviously it's gonna be up to the devs and the ACID team on what they'll implement

Comments

Air wrote on 1/23/2024, 2:38 PM

@Ayo Sorry to tell you but this is a dead program, no updates or development are planned.

leon-g wrote on 1/27/2024, 10:33 PM

This program died with Sony. Sony was the only last developer to advance it from version 4 to 7. It basically ended there. Magix only changed it from 32 bit to 64 bit but added bloatware and finished what was left of it. There will be other users here who may disagree but that is the harsh truth

LooneyBinJim wrote on 2/7/2024, 12:21 PM

DEAD

Djronrella wrote on 3/7/2024, 5:57 AM

Is the Info and statements from the users and moderators on Acid pro completely dead coming direct from Acid Pro developers!???? and Magix Acid Pro division? as they have informed you?

Thanks Ron

SP. wrote on 3/7/2024, 6:20 AM

@Djronrella https://www.magix.info/us/forum/new-update-for-acid-pro-11--1311189/#ca1835972

This is the last "official" status at the end of 2022.

Additionally, Magix hired a new CPO, who decided to rationalize the development and concentrate development efforts on Vegas, Samplitude, Music Maker and Content packs.

https://www.magix.info/us/forum/magix-new-strategy--1325439/

leon-g wrote on 3/7/2024, 10:18 AM

@Djronrella https://www.magix.info/us/forum/new-update-for-acid-pro-11--1311189/#ca1835972

This is the last "official" status at the end of 2022.

Additionally, Magix hired a new CPO, who decided to rationalize the development and concentrate development efforts on Vegas, Samplitude, Music Maker and Content packs.

https://www.magix.info/us/forum/magix-new-strategy--1325439/

Obviously someone who never used Acid otherwise would have seen the potential in it. But yes, this software died basically after Sony's selling out to Magix. Magix finished off what was left of it.

leon-g wrote on 3/7/2024, 10:21 AM

For those who waited for Acid development and have been disappointed by Magix' handling of this excellent DAW, look into Ableton or Bitwig. They sort of come close to Acid. Every DAW out there relies on "Drag and Drop" business, it was only Acid which had the right workflow and speed. Drag and Drop still doesn't beat what Acid had to offer. Anyway, I come here every once in a while to read comments and I still see moderators kind of argue with frustrated users like it will calm them down. 😝

SP. wrote on 3/7/2024, 10:27 AM

@leon-g Yeah, I believe the user base went away after Sony stopped development and the program stayed at 32 bits for too long and then they never came back after Magix started the development again. Today FL Studio is probably the most used DAW by beginners.

Ayo wrote on 3/7/2024, 4:53 PM

I guess I better finish my C++ course on Code academy.

Simon-W wrote on 3/13/2024, 7:55 PM

I have a MOTU audio interface and recently investigated the free Performer Lite DAW that comes with it. I was amazed to find that it has pretty well all of the virtues of Acid Pro plus many more, and none of the issues. There are many more powerful DAWs out there that I've tried, but I like the simplicity and excellent workflow of Performer Lite. If, like me, you are fed up with Magix and the lack of support for Acid Pro, and if you have a MOTU audio interface, I recommend that you give Performer Lite a try, especially as it is free and is also very well supported. I have just started a new project using it and am so delighted with it that, sadly, I can't see myself going back to Acid Pro, a product I have been using and investing in since the Sonic Foundry days.

TiKkO wrote on 3/14/2024, 12:39 PM

This is sad news. Acid Pro is the guilty pleasure of a whole lot of hiphop producers. For me, it's the first DAW I trained on after tape. I guess, technically, my first DAW was a Yamaha AW2816, but Acid marked the first time I tracked and mixed with nothing but a computer. Today, I work in Nuendo on one of the best 7.2.4 channel Dolby Atmos mastering systems in the world... yet Acid Pro is still the best software DAW for sampling.

leon-g wrote on 3/28/2024, 11:41 AM

I still beat myself over the fact that I chose Acid to start my musical journey back in 98. I wish I was introduced to any other DAW but Acid knowing now that it would be killed off. I became extremely proficient/fast in it and kept upgrading and was very happy. Post it's demise, I hopped from DAW to DAW looking for the same work flow but nothing matched. Finally ended up on Ableton but that paint feature is still not implemented by anyone. Gosh I hate Magix for what they did.

leon-g wrote on 4/1/2024, 1:10 AM

I guess I better finish my C++ course on Code academy.

If you can take over Acid Pro, fix it, or make another DAW with features just like Acid Pro, I will beta test it for you. I am a power user since 1998. One of Magix developers had approached me via Zoom and that meeting went no where as he never returned after taking notes on advancing AP.

shkr wrote on 4/4/2024, 4:48 AM

Magix should implement Acid features (mainly MIDI) into Vegas. That would make everybody happy or at least me 😉

DanB wrote on 4/6/2024, 5:47 PM

I still beat myself over the fact that I chose Acid to start my musical journey back in 98. I wish I was introduced to any other DAW but Acid knowing now that it would be killed off. I became extremely proficient/fast in it and kept upgrading and was very happy. Post it's demise, I hopped from DAW to DAW looking for the same work flow but nothing matched. Finally ended up on Ableton but that paint feature is still not implemented by anyone. Gosh I hate Magix for what they did.

I think that more or less sums up how I feel. I saw Acid recommended as a good choice for noobs due to its ease of use compared to other DAWs of the time, so I went for it. It was great, and combined with AcidPlanet, I have some very fond, nostalgic memories of that time. It's so sad to see how it has floundered since those promising early days. I had such high hopes when I heard that Magix had rescued it from the limbo it was in under Sony, but having taken a "leap of faith" in buying Acid Pro 10, I now just feel disappointed and cheated. There's only so many workarounds you can look for before it becomes more hassle than it's worth.