Timeline and trimming clips

porcupine wrote on 2/9/2016, 2:48 AM

Hello, I'm porcupine and have a prickly problem.

Just prior to Christmas I bought this program as it looked easy to use.

I've always used VideoStudio (Corel) before but can't use it at the moment because they can't find my serial number.

Meantime I am really struggling with the Magix program because of the layout and there doesn't seem to be any instructions (though I guess there will be tutorials somewhere).

When I create video projects, in Corel you can add/import the video to library OR timeline.

I trim each clip in the library mode then drag and drop each clip in sequence into the timeline.

The two main issues for me are just that (you can only work in the timeline mode) which gives me the second problem in trimming clips where I have absolutely no idea what it is I am doing!

So if anyone can help me start using the program that would be great. I should be able to have my V6 back soon but want to try out Magix and see what the effects are like, thanks.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 2/9/2016, 6:20 AM

Hi

See this tutorial by John CB and also under Help in the program there is a PDF manual.

These conrtain all the info you need to get started.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 2/9/2016, 6:20 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

porcupine wrote on 2/9/2016, 6:26 AM

Sure thanks I am on the autism spectrum and always read things literally. But lateral thinking is always a good challenge. I aim to study this tutorial now.

porcupine wrote on 2/11/2016, 4:27 AM

But I have not yet understood how to do multiple clips in the timeline. For example, I make my first clip. Then I drag the movie again next to the first clip. But I am unable to edit the clip and so at the moment to make one movie I create the clips as individual movies which is time consuming then I add them all in order to get the finished article.

browj2 wrote on 2/11/2016, 10:25 AM

Hi,

Not sure what you're doing. What do you mean by "drag the movie again next to the first clip?" Separate movies go in separate tabs. See my tutorial.

If you are in Timeline mode, then simply select a clip in the Media Pool and click on the down arrow that it with it. It will be placed at the end of whatever is on track 1. At the bottom of the screen, there is a horizontal scroll bar. Scroll to the right to see the other clips. There are also buttons at the bottom right of the screen to zoom in and out on the timeline.

All you need to do is add 1 clip after another to the timeline, not 1 below the other. You can then edit them using the trim/split tools - right-click on the scissors to see the options.

You can also select a range in the source preview monitor before inserting it on the timeline, then press on the Automatic insert button and the range of the clip will be added to the timeline.

Did you read through the Quick start section of the manual? Did you review any of the tutorials on Magix.com?

Last changed by browj2 on 2/11/2016, 10:25 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos