Very unhappy with Sound Forge Pro 15

BobSouer wrote on 3/9/2021, 7:14 PM

I have been using Sound Forge since version 1.5 (yes, that is not a typo, version one point five). I can't remember when I've seen a less ready-to-release version of Sound Forge Pro. The cursor doesn't track across the screen during playback of audio (making it REALLY difficult to edit that audio). Saving an audio file doesn't stick. That is, the file that's open remains an UNSAVED file. Making a new file doesn't remember the last settings, but starts over with 2-track 16-bit 44.1Khz audio every time. These are just three things that jumped out at me in the 10 minutes I tried using it today after downloading and installing. Meanwhile, I've uninstalled SF Pro 15 and have rolled back to SF Pro 14 so I can get some work done.

Please let me know when you have a patch for 15 and I'll give it another try.

Comments

Thomas-Shirk wrote on 3/9/2021, 7:49 PM

Well that's very disturbing. I pre-bought and haven't received my serial number or download instructions yet, but I guess it doesn't matter now. Not being able to save makes the software totally useless, so there's no point in even installing it. Sigh😡

xman_charl wrote on 3/9/2021, 9:46 PM

another bug...iZotope not responding....same thing sound forge pro 15

condex wrote on 3/9/2021, 10:24 PM

After installing SFP15, all okay so far; the cursor works in playback as expected; saving a project works successfully as expected; opening a new window opens with the previous setting maintained (e.g. 48k 24 bits stereo); and opening iZotope Neutron 3 opens and works as it does in SFP14. I should note that I do not use any of iZotope Elements products.

SP. wrote on 3/10/2021, 2:43 AM

The cursor doesn't track across the screen during playback of audio (making it REALLY difficult to edit that audio). Saving an audio file doesn't stick. That is, the file that's open remains an UNSAVED file. Making a new file doesn't remember the last settings, but starts over with 2-track 16-bit 44.1Khz audio every time. 

This all works fine for me. My cursor works, saving works, creating new files remembers the last setting.

iZotope not responding...

Works also fine for me. I tested it with Ozone 9, Neutron 3 and Nectar 3.

osflaa wrote on 3/10/2021, 6:00 AM

I can't remember when I've seen a less ready-to-release version of Sound Forge Pro.

I am usually curious about new versions of SF Pro, I think it is a powerful tool with a lot of useful features. However, error messages and crashes usually prevent me from buying it. The software is simply not properly tested before releases (this was the same for version 12, 13 and 14 as well).

I have now tested version 15 for a few minutes. The "instant actions" RX7 De-click, RX7 De-clip etc do of course not work because the software comes with RX8 and not RX7. How can this pass their quality control??

osflaa wrote on 3/10/2021, 6:07 AM

...and where did the file-menu go? Uninstalling.

condex wrote on 3/10/2021, 6:23 AM

The "instant actions" RX7 De-click, RX7 De-clip etc do of course not work because the software comes with RX8 and not RX7.

I do not have RX8 but I do have RX7 plugins from RX7 Adv. RX7 plugins open in SFP15. Have you done a VST search [Options/Preferences/ VST Effects (tab)] in SFP15 to direct those RX plugins to SFP15? - I had to do this for some VST plugins today.

osflaa wrote on 3/10/2021, 6:43 AM

The "instant actions" RX7 De-click, RX7 De-clip etc do of course not work because the software comes with RX8 and not RX7.

I do not have RX8 but I do have RX7 plugins from RX7 Adv. RX7 plugins open in SFP15. Have you done a VST search [Options/Preferences/ VST Effects (tab)] in SFP15 to direct those RX plugins to SFP15? - I had to do this for some VST plugins today.

I do not have RX7 so the error message is as expected when the instant actions are named "RX7 De-click" etc. I have RX6 which came with SF13Pro I believe, and RX8 which came with SF15Pro. I assume RX7 came with SF14Pro (which I don't own) and they forgot to update the instant actions in SF15Pro.

rraud wrote on 3/10/2021, 9:28 AM

Unfortunately the 'disappearing file menu' issue from SFP-14 remains when 'Open default work surface' is enabled (Options> Preferences> General) and the redesigned batch converter has display issues. Magix is addressing these issues which should be fixed in the upcoming SFP-15 build.
I cannot duplicate the iZotope issue.

osflaa wrote on 3/11/2021, 1:09 AM

I cannot duplicate the iZotope issue.

If you uninstall RX7 I guess the same thing will happen to you. You probably have RX7 installed on your computer from an earlier version of SFPro or for other reasons. But SFPro 15 does not come with RX7, but RX8. The instant action script does not work with RX8.

Well, sorry for hijacking the thread, I will stop now.

Product-Owner_OOO_ wrote on 9/6/2021, 7:47 AM

The slow loading times with Izotope plugins and others can be corrected by installing the PACE licensing manager ( Ilok Manager ) : https://www.paceap.com/pace-management.html

xman_charl wrote on 9/8/2021, 10:01 AM

been using iZotope RX 8 Audio Advanced 8.10.544

seems to work better than item included with sf installation

rraud wrote on 9/8/2021, 11:13 AM

seems to work better than item included with sf installation

Ozone Elements (included with SF) loads slightly slower than most other plug-ins, but not enough to be an annoyance and there are no other issues (at least in my experience on multiple PCs),

xman_charl wrote on 9/10/2021, 8:52 PM

my favorites ...

daudioguy wrote on 9/14/2021, 6:28 PM

for what it's worth I've been using Fab Filter and iZotope plug-ins with success but SF15 has 'winked' out of existence three times today. SF15 just stops running with no dialog box or anything. Once it wasn't the app in focus, it was just gone. Like someone above I used a DOS 3.1 version of Sound Forge so it has been my go to tool since 1984? And releases have been stable. I clung to SF10 for the plug-in implementation but with so many 64 bit plug-ins I finally caved and I am trying to use SF 15. The 'new' batch converter seems a mess and I really need it to work. So, the cursor is moving, files are loading and saving but there is a fair amount of weirdness that I don't usually attribute to Sound Forge.

emmrecs wrote on 11/28/2023, 1:47 PM

@Shawn-Rogers

This thread was created in 2021. Please do not resurrect such old threads, especially when you have made a similar post to another thread. Hence, your post here has been hidden.

Also, please be aware these are user to user forums, there are no Magix staff here and, given that version 17 has now been released I think it highly unlikely that any further patches will be released for version 15.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 11/28/2023, 1:57 PM

@Shawn-Rogers Sound Forge 15 is, In retrospect, a lot less buggy than SF16 and SF17. I would advise to stay on SF15.