VST instruments not working after upgrade

dave-b5173 wrote on 12/22/2021, 3:13 PM

Having just upgraded from Samplitude Music Studio 2021 to the new 2022 version, I have found that some of the VST instruments installed from previous versions no longer work. I have previously had 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021 versions of Samplitude Music Studio installed all of which have provided a selection of VST instruments and which I have continued to be able to access.

Since upgrading to 2022 version I receive error messages stating VSTi is not active and image files are missing when loading the following instruments:

• Vintage Lead Trumpets
  • Vintage Mid & Low Brass
  • Vintage Cornets

If I "abort" the loading the VSTi graphic opens, but produces no sound.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling each of the affected VSTi's but problem remains.

Other VSTi's installed with earlier version of Sampitude are working fine.

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

Comments

SP. wrote on 12/22/2021, 3:21 PM

@dave-b5173

You must contact support at infoservice@magix.net and they will give you free coupons for all the Vita instruments that are not working. You then need to download the free version of Music Maker 2022 and use the coupons to download and install the Vita Instruments for free from the Music Maker in-app-store. The instruments will then be registered to your user account and will work again in Samplitude Music Studio 2022. Currently the instruments that are not working are just registered to the old version of Music Studio and will not transfer over to your new version. That is why you need to get them in the Music Maker shop so they are bound to your user account.

dave-b5173 wrote on 12/23/2021, 8:43 AM

Hi SP

Followed your advice and contacted Magix Support. This is the disappointing reply I received:

“Unortunately, in the most recent generations of Samplitude Music Studio, the decision was made that the software instruments from the Vita Solo Instruments series are licensed only to be used exclusively with the particular product/version they were bundled with. This means, if you have instruments installed from such an older SMS version, you would no longer automatically be able to use them even in a different/newer version of the same product line. While they may show up, you won't be able to actually use them, as they are not authenticated for that version and will produce an error message.”

Not the response I was hoping for

Regards

SP. wrote on 12/23/2021, 9:06 AM

@dave-b5173 That's odd. Maybe the service employee got it wrong? Here are multiple threads on this forum where this problem was solved with coupons. Some threads are just a couple of weeks old. I myself got coupons some months ago.

dave-b5173 wrote on 12/23/2021, 9:22 AM

I’ve messaged Magix Support again to express my disappointment. I’ll see what they say, but in the meantime I’ll check some of the other Forum threads on this problem as it doesn’t seem right to me

SP. wrote on 12/23/2021, 9:30 AM

@dave-b5173 I speculate it has something to with the developers of the instruments. The only instruments that are not working are not made by Magix but are made by third party developers. I would guess Magix needs them to pay royalties and maybe they don't like it if Magix is handing out coupons for free or allowing customers to use the instruments in every new version of Samplitude without buying them in the Music Maker store.

dave-b5173 wrote on 12/23/2021, 9:37 AM

I suspect that you may be right, but Magix have never issued any guidance on this or made it clear when advertising SMS upgrades.
It if is the case, it seems I either run SMS 2020 (or earlier) and keep my VSTi’s or SMS 2022 and lose them. I don’t think the extra features of 2022 make up for the loss of my favourite VSTi’s. If this had been made clear I would have saved my money and not upgraded. It seems poor service for customer loyalty in my opinion

dave-b5173 wrote on 12/23/2021, 11:32 AM

Is it possible to have two versions of SMS installed on the same pc at the same?

Nordlicht wrote on 12/24/2021, 2:55 AM

Is it possible to have two versions of SMS installed on the same pc at the same?

Yes, that’s no problem and this way it could allow you to use VSTs from older versions as well.

dave-b5173 wrote on 12/24/2021, 4:09 AM

That’s good to hear and would offer a work around to my problem. Thanks