VST Libraries

Jon-Marinella wrote on 4/21/2023, 1:15 PM

Maybe we can share VST information strategically.
I have just installed Native Instruments with Komplete Kontrol.
Native Instruments built the first commercial synths and sequencers for Windows PC's as I understand it and was always the best of the best when I stayed current with the technology 20 years ago.
It's a task getting everything installed but I will report back on it.

I am looking for a distortion effect VST after the ones in Magix and MeldaProductions are too harsh. I'm trying to get a good and clean square wave for horns, harmonics, accordion etc. The amps are too harsh and couple pedals get it close but it's still to harsh and filthy so I need something like a rack effects VST that has broad distortion characteristics that will let me get ahold of distortion texture.

Comments

SP. wrote on 4/21/2023, 2:47 PM

@Jon-Marinella Have you tried a low pass filter to reduce the harshness?

johnebaker wrote on 4/22/2023, 3:05 AM

@Jon-Marinella

Hi

. . . . . a distortion effect VST . . . a hard clipped tube amp at full saturation . . . .

Try Amplitube or similar VST?

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

emmrecs wrote on 4/24/2023, 3:55 AM

@Jon-Marinella

Have you made sure that the path to the NI VSTis is listed under Program Settings>Folders>Add VST plug-in path...? You can have several different directories listed on the screen that opens when you click that button.

This is a screenshot of mine (showing a number of default and personally-selected locations for VSTs and VSTis on my computer).

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Jon-Marinella wrote on 4/27/2023, 1:58 PM

Is anyone aware of a good harmonica VST?
What I have found so far has been awful but I've had great ones in the very distant past.

SP. wrote on 4/27/2023, 2:34 PM

@Jon-Marinella This is basically all you can get as a VST: https://www.musicindustryhowto.com/harmonica-vst-plugins/

Jon-Marinella wrote on 5/2/2023, 3:21 PM

DSK Dynamic Guitars A very good soloing dreadnaught guitar as the "steel string" with an excellent nylon simulation and a 3rd I have no good things to say about. These can handle wild arpeggios and still sound real. Magix cannot even once the synth is adjusted; outside default it loses all credibility.
Flamenco, classical and dreadnaught shred acoustics.

That site and DSK has a significant amount of good and free VST(I) devices and instruments. I am not sharing DSK Akoustik Guitarz because I found it to be dreadful compared to Magix's included folk guitar.
I think the thread is directed at primarily for free products.

CarlArnold wrote on 5/5/2023, 4:30 PM

You should check FabFilter Saturn 2 which is a high-quality distortion and saturation plugin that offers a wide range of distortion types, from subtle saturation to extreme fuzz. It has a clean and intuitive interface that makes it easy to dial in the perfect sound.

Jon-Marinella wrote on 5/17/2023, 9:39 PM

Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra
It is exactly what it says and the GUI is both brilliant and simple. It's worth creating a count for the free install.

You easily click sections and fiddle with a limited but adequate amount of controls.
The instrument quality is great for some, good for others and a slight struggle for a couple; this is typical with free.
Some effects and it's genuinely passable as a real life orchestra, but I will need to layer in single instrument VST's like trumpet, tuba et cetera blended into that section as well as for solos.

When you turn off reverb, there is still some default reverb for some legato even in the staccato mode. This will leave some needs sourced to other VST's, but as the core of the composition's needs, it's perfectly acceptable.

Jon-Marinella wrote on 5/17/2023, 9:55 PM

Brassinematic
A 4 piece brass section. This really performs and like other VST-I's they have produced, it has a very elaborate spectrum of controls.
Stock patches are usable but abysmal compared to what the controls can refine them too, aside from post rack processing.
With these free VST-I's, there's some work involved to use them for Motown sounds commonly used in hip hop, but for a convincing orchestra, not much tinkering is needed.

Jon-Marinella wrote on 5/17/2023, 10:04 PM

Trumplab
Phenomenal trumpet laboratory that leaves no slot for the rack effects to fill. It even has drive for overdriven trumpet, does that section, and will layer in perfect with another track also running a full brass section.
This lets you lay it on reeeeeally thick like someone looks like a puffer fish and is cranking their heart out into every note.
It can adequately cover every genre.

Jon-Marinella wrote on 5/20/2023, 10:12 PM

MPC Beats This Plugin DAW operates independently, but far more importantly, as a VST in it's DAW form. This is the ultimate plugin for beats and other sequencing desires for absolutely everyone. After seeing this in my VST list and loading it, I am still in a state of great excitement and many of you understand why; I guess it pays to read an apps literature.

MPC Beats is a DAW based on the app representing a physical piece of hardware, in this case a drum machine with multitrack recorder, and an embedded computer system running it all. This is similar to what exists IRL, or the more commonly known piano-synths or multitrack portable recorders.

I had the app previously on a different workstation, but only just reinstalled it on the new.
The abilities of MPC Beats as a plugin are altogether fantastical and beyond 90% of what I may ever use it for, but the lack of a top notch drum VST-I that's free is a catastrophe, but MPC Beats as this plugin is exponentially better than anything you could pay for. Not for a thousand bucks is there better.