Audio Popping in Between Edits

Joshua-Burner wrote on 7/9/2019, 2:56 PM

My Audio makes this weird popping noise when transitioning between audio objects, especially when I add echo and reverb.

Processor:
- AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor          
Operating system:
- Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
Memory:
- Available: 16,720,160 bytes, Free: 11,945,616 bytes
Sound Card:
- USB Audio Device (ok)
- NVIDIA High Definition Audio (ok)
- NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) (ok)
- Realtek High Definition Audio (ok)
- Wirecast Virtual Microphone Driver (ok)
- Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000. (ok)
Graphics Card:
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560  1920x1080
Browser:
- Mozilla Firefox (Version: 25.0.1)
- Google Chrome (Version: 40.0.2214.111)
- Internet Explorer (Version: 11.00.9600.16428 (winblue_gdr.131013-1700))

Using latest version of MAGIX

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 7/10/2019, 3:39 AM

@Joshua-Burner

Welcome to the Magix forums.

I confess to being somewhat confused! I've looked at your screenshot; I've listened to your audio clip. Apart from hearing what sounds distinctly like the "surface noise" that old vinyl records tend to create, I hear no "Audio Popping"!? If it is the latter that is the problem you are hearing, then it would be helpful to know the exact format of the source audio files you are using, i.e. if ripped from CD are they wav or mp3, at what sample rate and bit depth? (Just as an aside: you do have permission to use this copyright material, I assume?)

BTW "using latest version of MAGIX" is not really helpful to us! You've chosen VPX as the software, please also tell us what Help>About says. The actual latest version is 17.0.1.31

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, Photo Story Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D

RogerGunkel wrote on 7/10/2019, 9:17 AM

I aqree with Jeff, I can hear some odd sound that Jeff describes as 'Surface Noise', but no audio popping. It could be that you have set the audio levels too high, either at the recording or playback stage as the noise could borderline distortion which might be clipping on your system. That overloading could well be exaggerated by the reverb that is added, particularly on the bass end.

Roger

johnebaker wrote on 7/10/2019, 2:43 PM

@Joshua-Burner

Hi

Like @emmrecs and @RogerGunkel I too cannot hear any popping, I have also examined the waveform in an audio editor at high magnification and there is no evidence of clipping or popping spikes visible.

However that does not necessarily mean that there is no popping at your end - the question is:

1. are you hearing this when playing the timeline in VPX?

or

2. in the exported video?

Also clarification of which audio device you are listening to the audio through may help.

AFAICS you should have 2 audio devices, which raises a second question - which audio device is the audio being played through?

1. the NVidia card ie via monitor speakers or headphones/speakers plugged into the monitor

or

2. the Realtek audio chipset ie the speakers and/or headphones are plugged directly into the computer motherboard audio sockets.

Added: I do note the comment, and would also re-iterate that comment, regarding permission to use copyrighted material.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/10/2019, 2:56 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Lateral thinking can get things done!

VPX, MEP Premium, MEP 2016, and earlier versions, Music Maker Premium, Music Maker 2016, 2015.

Running Windows 10 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb + 2 x 2Tb internal HDD + 60Gb internal SSD, + 6 x 2Tb ext HDDs, Sony FDR-AX53 Video camera, Contour HD 1080 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Joshua-Burner wrote on 7/10/2019, 2:56 PM

@Joshua-Burner

Welcome to the Magix forums.

I confess to being somewhat confused! I've looked at your screenshot; I've listened to your audio clip. Apart from hearing what sounds distinctly like the "surface noise" that old vinyl records tend to create, I hear no "Audio Popping"!? If it is the latter that is the problem you are hearing, then it would be helpful to know the exact format of the source audio files you are using, i.e. if ripped from CD are they wav or mp3, at what sample rate and bit depth? (Just as an aside: you do have permission to use this copyright material, I assume?)

BTW "using latest version of MAGIX" is not really helpful to us! You've chosen VPX as the software, please also tell us what Help>About says. The actual latest version is 17.0.1.31

Jeff

Yeah, it's that vinyl sound. I thought that was what popping meant.

I ripped this audio from an mp4 YouTube video (I had permission).

Sample Rate is 44100.

I hear the static in both playback and export.

Using MAGIX version 17.0.1.31 (UDP3).

The audio levels don't peak during playback.

It is being played through USB headphones connected to a USB hub.

emmrecs wrote on 7/11/2019, 3:47 AM

@Joshua-Burner

I ripped this audio from an mp4 YouTube video

That may be the reason for that "noise!! Since you say you have permission to use the audio I assume you know who created the original clip on YT? If so, I would ask about the format of the audio he/she used. I suspect it would be mp3, perhaps at quite a low bit rate. When the video was exported by the first user it is highly likely that further audio compression (= loss of quality, = "noise") would have occurred both when that user exported his/her video AND when YT made it available to stream.

IOW, you are possibly using a second or third generation copy of compressed audio, each generation adding its own "extras".

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, Photo Story Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D

Joshua-Burner wrote on 7/29/2019, 3:58 PM

It still happens even when I get the original file. As soon as I add any sort of cut or effect (like reverb), it adds that popping. It hadn't done that in previous versions of this suite.

emmrecs wrote on 7/30/2019, 4:09 AM

@Joshua-Burner

Is it possible for you to post somewhere (not to the forum) a short sample of the original file, alongside the same sample extract after you've applied "any sort of cut or effect". As previously written, it is very difficult for us to hear any obvious problem with what you posted before, other than what was commented on.

Jeff

CubeAce wrote on 8/1/2019, 11:42 AM

@Joshua-Burner

It could be a DC offset of the original file. Try opening the sound file in an audio editor and check for a DC offset. Quite often when you check for DC offset you will be asked if you would like to correct it. Click yes, save the file and then re-import it back to the project.

A DC offset will produce a pop either at the beginning or end of a clip or when the file is played or stopped.

Last changed by CubeAce on 8/1/2019, 11:43 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Windows 10. version 1903. Latest Bios update as well as latest hardware updates for Western digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.0GHz CPU with 32GB of 32MHz Corsair DDR4 ram. 1000 watt EVGA modular power supply. 2 x 320GB SSD drives striped for faster R/W times. + x2 WD BLACK internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives. Total 4TB. Three external WD drives for backup. NVIDIA G Force GT 1030 Graphics clock 1252Mhz Memory data rate 6008Mhz. 384 CUDA cores. Memory interface 64bit Memory bandwidth 48.06 GB/s 2GB of dedicated video memory, shared system memory 9967MB PCi Express x4 Gen3. Running MEP Premium 19.0.1.18

DugsBugs wrote on 8/11/2019, 5:15 PM

I have noticed a problem like this since VPX 11 when working with audio on more than 1 track.
In the area where the 2 tracks overlay, the audio is choppy.
I have not reported this to Magix yet.
Just another thing to work around.
Doug.