Hardware Acceleration for HEVC encoding

Treeniks wrote on 9/10/2018, 11:52 AM

Hello everybody,

I am currently trying to export a ~10 minutes long video (1920 x 1080 at 60fps) with HEVC, but it takes around 5 times as long (~50 minutes although I haven't let the whole process finish but only let it run for a few minutes) for the whole export to finish without really using any sort of effects in the video whatsoever. As seen in the screenshot below, the Export Window clearly states "no hardware acceleration" which is odd considering I have Hardware acceleration turned on everywhere I can.

My PC specs are currently:
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i7 8700K (Intel UHD Graphics 630)
Geforce GTX 1080
16GB of 3000MHz RAM

I'm running Video Pro X Version 15.0.3.154 (UDP3) 64-bit according to the About (it's the latest one the updater lets me download)

And yes, I am running the latest drivers for everything (including my Intel GPU).

I don't really understand how the export can take this long with these sort of specs. You can see the settings I currently use in the screenshots provided. However I did try around with them a lot and nothing changed. Turning Hardware Acceleration on and off in the export settings didn't change anything. Turning "Always use DirectX9" on and off didn't really do much either, I believe it sped up the export a little making the export time only like 3-4 times as long as the video, but still no hardware acceleration.

I also enabled the integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 GPU in the BIOS and switched over to it under "Video mode" and tried switching around all the settings mentioned above as well, all with the same result. The only thing I haven't tried yet was to switch over my Display Port cable from my GTX 1080 over to my Motherboard, effectively forcing Video Pro X to use the integrated Intel GPU, however this is no option for me because most games just use the integrated Intel GPU then too and it obviously heavily decreases performance for everything but video encoding.

Also as read in this post: https://www.magix.info/us/forum/no-hardware-acceleration-encoding--1205923/?page=2

There is no export NVENC HWA for H.264, only HWA for H.265 export.

As HEVC is effectively H.265 export, shouldn't NVENC hardware acceleration work then?

When doing H.264 exports with the standard encoder, I am able to turn on Hardware acceleration with no problem, however only as long as my Intel integrated GPU is activated in the BIOS, weirdly enough whether it is selected under "Video mode" or not didn't make a difference, it worked no matter what GPU was selected. However hardware acceleration on that made absolutely no difference to performance. For the time, it took a little less than double the video time to export the video (meaning my 10 minute long video, with or without Hardware acceleration, took around 18 minutes to export with H.264 standard encoder)

Using the MainConcept H.264 encoder I couldn't get Hardware Acceleration to work whatsoever (neither with my GTX 1080 nor with my Intel integrated GPU), it just gave me an error whenever I had any sort of Hardware Acceleration enabled in the export settings (which, as far as I understood from reading other posts, is a known issue for a long time now). With MainConcept I am able to almost reach 1-1 export time, but still not quite and the quality seems to be a little worse, too (with the same bitrate settings).

I may also note that some of my source videos I'm trying to edit together are 120fps videos which might decrease the performance a little bit, but I don't see the reason why the export times are this high, especially since the problem isn't really any different with 60fps source videos.

So basically, what kind of Hardware Acceleration is supported by Video Pro X? And can I use it in any way? Are there any methods I can use to decrease export time, other than just simply switching to MainConcept (which doesn't support H.265 anyway)? I mean, OBS for example has no problem using NVENC or QuickSync whatsoever, why does Video Pro X?
Do I really need to switch over to Vegas Pro and learn video editing from the ground up, only because Vegas, as I heard, does support NVENC?

I've been using the Video Pro X/Movie Edit Pro series for many years now (around 6-8 years to be more accurate), I just never really cared too much about export time, because I only edit every now and then and not every day. But an hour for a 10 minute video without any effects is simply too much.

Also on a side note: is there a way to get the Audio Bitrate higher than 192kbps with the Standard encoder? I know MainConcept supports higher bitrates, but does Standard do so, too, in any way? Because 192kbps is just straight up lower than my source material which is running at 320kbps. It doesn't make a big difference but it would be nice to export in 320kbps.

EDIT: just some formatting of the screenshots

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 9/10/2018, 12:49 PM

@Treeniks

Hi

I also have an i7-8700 and HEVC export using the integrated UHD 630 is about real time for 4K video with normal hard drives ie no SSD's.

If you are not a gamer, or using programs which need NVENC acceleration or an NVidia graphics card such as Blender, then my advice would be to pull or totally disable the GTX 1080.:

However did you set the NVIDIA Manage 3D settings for Video Pro X preferred graphics processor to the Intel GPU? See here for how to do this?.

The MainConcept encoder does not work with Intel GPU acceleration at best you will get a 0 byte video file at worst a system crash.

. . . . I am running the latest drivers for everything (including my Intel GPU) . . . .

So thought I, until MEP and VPX started crashing with HWA - this was after I had to replace the M/B, Processor etc after a motherboard failure. If you have the Windows installed driver than it is possible it is out of date. Check that the installed driver version is 24.20.100.6286,

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/10/2018, 12:50 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Treeniks wrote on 9/10/2018, 3:55 PM

@johnebaker

I went ahead and made sure again that my Intel GPU drivers are up to date. It didn't change anything however. Oddly enough, I do not even get the Intel "Graphics Properties" option when right-clicking on the desktop. I also do not have the option to change my preferred GPU in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I went ahead and instead disconnected one of my screens from the GTX 1080 and connected it to the integrated GPU. Then the Graphics Properties menu showed up and VPX did Hardware Acceleration (the encoding went faster than realtime). However I still wasn't able to select my preferred GPU in the Nvidia Control Panel. My guess is that it's because I have 3 monitors connected and thus still had 2 monitors connected to my GPU. However, once I switched the cable over to my GPU again, Hardware Acceleration stopped working again, too.

Having one of my monitors connected to the Motherboard is sadly no option for me, as well as not using my GTX 1080 at all (it's an expensive card, I didn't buy it for no reason). I do competitive gaming, I need consistent 250fps in my games as well as minimum input lag. I can't simply not use the GPU, that's not an option.

I'll try around a bit more, but I'm kind of disappointed that this just doesn't want to work.

Treeniks wrote on 9/10/2018, 4:33 PM

So apparently the Preferred GPU option in the Nvidia Control Panel is just Nvidia Optimus which is a technology for Laptops, I'm running a PC however and not a Laptop.

So I guess there is no way to get hardware acceleration without having to have at least one of my monitors connected to the iGPU. However, what is the talk about NVENC H.265 Hardware Accelerated encoding then? Because that obviously doesn't seem to exist.

johnebaker wrote on 9/11/2018, 4:06 AM

@Treeniks

Hi

. . . . I do not even get the Intel "Graphics Properties" option when right-clicking on the desktop . . . .

That suggests you have the Windows version of the drivers installed - did you download the Intel Driver Assistant and Installer and run it.

. . . . . However I still wasn't able to select my preferred GPU in the Nvidia Control Panel. My guess is that it's because I have 3 monitors connected and thus still had 2 monitors connected to my GPU . . . .

That should not make any difference the iGPU can be used with no monitors attached.

As you are gaming did you follow item 2 in the topic I linked to?

. . . . what is the talk about NVENC H.265 Hardware Accelerated encoding then? Because that obviously doesn't seem to exist. . . . .

Video Pro X can use the NVENC HWA, however only for h.265 (HEVC) - File, Export movie, Video as HEVC.

HTH

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Treeniks wrote on 9/11/2018, 5:32 AM

@johnebaker

That suggests you have the Windows version of the drivers installed - did you download the Intel Driver Assistant and Installer and run it.

Yes, it says everything is up to date.

And like I said before, I do get the "Graphics Properties" option once one of my monitors is connected to the iGPU.
And I don't quite understand what you mean with Windows version of the drivers, am I supposed to install the Linux drivers or what? Or are you just talking about the drivers that come with a Windows installation in the first place?

That should not make any difference the iGPU can be used with no monitors attached.

As you are gaming did you follow item 2 in the topic I linked to?

Like I said, I don't have the option to select which GPU to use. Neither for the Global, nor for the per-program setting. The option to do so is done by Nvidia Optimus, which is only for Laptops and thus the option doesn't exist on PCs.

Video Pro X can use the NVENC HWA, however only for h.265 (HEVC) - File, Export movie, Video as HEVC.

You basically just repeated what I said. My question was why NVENC HWA doesn't work for HEVC export for me, however I was able to figure out why. NVENC HWA is a feature of VPX10, I only have VPX version 15.0.3.154 which is VPX9. My VPX version doesn't have NVENC HWA, that's why it didn't work all along. The confusion came because of the new way Magix names their products, because there is no clear difference between the different VPX version anymore (which is kind of stupid in my opinion), thus there was hardly any way for me to easily check whether or not my version even has a certain feature (and Im not paying another $150 for the upgrade, at least not right now).

I'm just going to have to live with the fact that one of my screens runs off of the iGPU because otherwise there seems to be no way to get VPX to use Hardware Acceleration.

johnebaker wrote on 9/11/2018, 7:24 AM

@Treeniks

Hi

. . . . I don't quite understand what you mean with Windows version of the drivers . . . .

Microsoft supply drivers for a lot of hardware and these are part of Windows, however as I found with my new M/B etc the drivers are not always up to date.

. . . . I supposed to install the Linux drivers or what . . . .

You would not be able to install them - Linux is an entirely different operating system.

. . . . . The confusion came because of the new way Magix names their products, because there is no clear difference between t . . . .

Agreed and my apologies - I missed that you were on VPX9.

. . . . I don't have the option to select which GPU to use. Neither for the Global, nor for the per-program setting. The option to do so is done by Nvidia Optimus, which is only for Laptops and thus the option doesn't exist on PCs. . . . .

That is odd - my old PC which has an NVidia card, albeit an older version, and Intel GPU, with the same NVidia control panel as you posted, does have the option.

. . . . . I'm just going to have to live with the fact that one of my screens runs off of the iGPU because otherwise there seems to be no way to get VPX to use Hardware Acceleration. . . .

That is very odd because it should not happen, however if you can live with it then at least you can proceed.

HTH

John EB

Treeniks wrote on 9/11/2018, 8:34 AM

@johnebaker

. . . . I supposed to install the Linux drivers or what . . . .

You would not be able to install them - Linux is an entirely different operating system.

I was joking ^^

That is odd - my old PC which has an NVidia card, albeit an older version, and Intel GPU, with the same NVidia control panel as you posted, does have the option.

Nvidia Optimus was always referred to be for "mobile" devices. But I've seen many people on the Geforce Forums that, just like me, are searching for the option and don't have it. After some searching I found that Nvidia was apparently working on a Desktop version of the technology called "Synergy" but according to Wikipedia it was never released. But all the information I could find about the topic was very contradictory.
What I did find out though is that apparently Razer (and others) used to have some driver packages for Nvidia GPUs (specifically for things like the Razer Core Enclosure) that did include Nvidia Optimus. Is it possible you have some sort of Razer driver or Razer synapse installed on that PC? Because that could be the reason you have the option on it.

That is very odd because it should not happen, however if you can live with it then at least you can proceed.

Well, I'd still like the Hardware acceleration to work without needing to plug in one of my monitors to the iGPU. I guess it's just a bug with VPX9, since H.264 exporting has no trouble using Hardware acceleration, even when not having the iGPU plugged in. So I guess they just improved the stability of Hardware acceleration and added NVENC support with VPX10. It works for now, but I guess I'll just have to upgrade at some point (or just switch over to Vegas Pro because it seems to have much less problems with these kind of things).

johnebaker wrote on 9/11/2018, 8:47 AM

@Treeniks

Hi

. . . . You would not be able to install them - Linux is an entirely different operating system.

I was joking ^^ . . . .

Thank goodness for that 😀 - I know it has been done, how the person managed it I do not know, however it totally bricked their PC OS - what a mess it was to clear up as I was 'not allowed' to do the obvious - wipe and start again.

Have a look at this topic it may give you more clues as to what is happening.

John EB

Treeniks wrote on 9/12/2018, 8:50 AM

@johnebaker

Thank goodness for that 😀 - I know it has been done

I'm expected to start studying computer science in around 8 months and have been working with Computer Peripherals my whole life, so I know what I'm doing ^^ I imagine it requires some serious dedication to actually install a driver meant for a different OS...

Have a look at this topic it may give you more clues as to what is happening.

Well the post at least clears up why the Graphics Properties option disappears. It doesn't explain why VPX doesn't want to use the iGPU for Hardware Acceleration unless it's plugged in however (though they do say it becomes idle when not connected).

However I noticed something that makes me think that it's all just a bug from VPX:
Now for H.265 encoding (HEVC export) Hardware Acceleration just didn't work, unless the iGPU was connected to at least one monitor right.
I tried to look into H.264 encoding again since from my testings early on, VPX said that Hardware Acceleration was actually enabled when encoding with H.264 even without having the iGPU connected to a monitor. But I remember how it didn't make any difference in performance, whether I turned on Hardware Acceleration or not.
So I tried it again: plugged off the iGPU, tried H.264 encoding and VPX clearly said "Hardware Accelerated" (with no monitor connected) in the export window but the export was as slow as ever. I went in the export settings and turned off Hardware Acceleration, now the "Hardware Accelerated" was gone but the export was just as slow as before.
Then I plugged in the iGPU again, tried the same thing and when having Hardware Acceleration on, the export was way faster than real time.

So either Intel's driver forces the iGPU to be idle when not connected to a monitor, even if a program tries to use it (and then VPX H.264 encoding not realizing that the iGPU doesn't do any work), or my current VPX version just has a bug. Clearly it said that it was using Hardware Acceleration, even though it wasn't. The inconsistencies between HEVC and normal MPEG-4 export are really what confused me in the first place. I originally thought Hardware Acceleration was only not working for me for H.265 encoding, turns out it wasn't working for H.264 encoding either.

I'll make sure to try if it's any different if I come around to upgrade to the latest version of VPX to definitively say whether it's just Intel's driver forcing the iGPU to be idle or VPX having a bug.

I guess the problem is solved then (though I wouldn't know which response to tag as solution since we didn't really find a solution other than connecting one of the monitors to the iGPU).

johnebaker wrote on 9/12/2018, 11:23 AM

@Treeniks

Hi

. . . . I tried to look into H.264 encoding again since from my testings early on, VPX said that Hardware Acceleration was actually enabled when encoding with H.264 even without having the iGPU connected to a monitor.. . . . . But I remember how it didn't make any difference in performance, whether I turned on Hardware Acceleration or not. . . . .

That is most odd.

Do you have, or can you create, a small non-confidential test project, which shows this, note the times for export with and without HWA turned on, that you can package using File, Backup copy, Copy project and media into folder, Zip up the backup folder and upload the zip file to Dropbox or somewhere similar where we can test it?

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/12/2018, 11:24 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Treeniks wrote on 9/12/2018, 4:23 PM

@johnebaker

sure thing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FzsmxUeyqo3FusQa_RRoRGxgXs3AIKEX/view?usp=sharing
just some random Monster Hunter World gameplay.

I tested three situation for H.264 encoding. I used the "MP4 FullHD 1920x1080 59.94p" preset and changed the framerate from 59.94fps to 60fps for all exports.

with HWA on and the iGPU connected to a monitor: 34 seconds
with HWA on and the iGPU not connected to a monitor (VPX saying that the export is Hardware Accelerated): 2 minutes and 16 seconds
with HWA off: 2 minutes and 22 seconds

Pawel-Rybinski wrote on 9/15/2018, 5:09 PM

I am asking for help regarding my Magix video pro x program.

After upgrades, it has very poor performance. Support for the external graphics card does not work. Only the Intel integrated card works. But the performance is very poor. The program does not use 2 cards as it has until recently.It pops up constantly in AVCHD files and only in them to activate the audio and this message is still displayed, but unfortunately it can not activate it. The problem is what was strange in the Magix movie Plus version which I also have. What only pleases me in the updated version of MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Premium is not the problem, but the performance is just as weak. If you want I can take a screenshot and see what the problem is. MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Premium however no longer exists MAGIX Video Pro X anyway. I am asking for help because I want to continue using your software, but I want it to work properly.

wongck wrote on 9/15/2018, 7:35 PM

I tested three situation for H.264 encoding. I used the "MP4 FullHD 1920x1080 59.94p" preset and changed the framerate from 59.94fps to 60fps for all exports.

with HWA on and the iGPU connected to a monitor: 34 seconds
with HWA on and the iGPU not connected to a monitor (VPX saying that the export is Hardware Accelerated): 2 minutes and 16 seconds
with HWA off: 2 minutes and 22 seconds

Just for completeness, check your BIOS settings for any settings for Intel HD Video. Some BIOS has set it to Automatic, that will on turn on if a monitor is detected on the Intel HD graphics port. You may be able to set it to ON which set it on permanently.

While in the BIOS, check also if you can increase the video memory, may help to increase speed.

Casual home video editing just for FUN since MEP 5.5.4.1 (2006??)

• MEP 17.0.3.177 & unused Vegas Pro 15
  • Win10 2004 i7-4770 3.4GHz, 32GB, 512GB Nvme, 4TB HDD, Nvidia GTX1070 (26.21.14.3160) & an old DVD writer
  • Amateur video equipment: Sony HDR-CX675, JVC GZ-MG330
Treeniks wrote on 9/15/2018, 7:45 PM

@wongck

I've checked many times (after all the iGPU used to be disabled by default). One option allows me to select which of the GPUs the system should prefer (however it just uses the other one if the one selected isn't available) and IGPU Multi-Monitor which basically disabled or enables the iGPU when an external GPU is connected. The latter is the option I had to enable to get my system to recognize the iGPU at all, and after all, VPX does recognize it, it just doesn't use it (or can't use it).

I already have the iGPU shared memory on the maximum setting.

johnebaker wrote on 9/16/2018, 4:01 AM

@Treeniks

Hi

Thanks for the test project.

Tested with/without HWA I get different results than yours:

• with HWA using the iGPU 42 seconds (8 secs longer)
  • without HWA using the processor 1m 42 secs (34 secs faster).

Unfortunately I cannot test with a NVidia card installed - the ones I have do not fit my motherboard and I have been unable to borrow a GTX 1060.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/16/2018, 4:01 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Treeniks wrote on 10/15/2018, 4:58 PM

@johnebaker

Hi,

so over the month I've kinda just been living with the fact that one of my monitors runs off of my iGPU.

However I just recently found a way to use my iGPU for Hardware Acceleration, even without having it connected thanks to this video by LinusTechTips [3:20]:

They show that Microsoft added an option to choose which GPU to use for a specific program in one of the latest Windows 10 updates. So I disconnected my iGPU, went into the Windows 10 settings and set Video Pro X to run on my Powersaver GPU (the intel iGPU) and Hardware Acceleration worked just like normal, without having to have the iGPU connected anywhere.

My guess is that this option WAS actually included in the Nvidia Control Panel in the past and was removed because of the Windows option being added? I have no clue, but it works perfectly.

chris8 wrote on 4/10/2019, 4:19 PM

Thank you Treeniks!!!!!!!!!! You are a genius and this answer should be featured in bold at the top of the Magix home page.😍

Scenestealer wrote on 4/11/2019, 1:17 AM

Yes this was a very good good tip that helped me to get my iGPU hardware rendering when it inexplicably stopped working 6 months ago and again in the last few weeks when it failed to speed up export encoding.

I, like @Treeniks found that the export encoding progress window was reporting Hardware encoding but Task Manager showed no activity on the iGPU. I went back to the Windows Graphics Settings mentioned in the video and found that where I had selected that the Powersaver GPU ie the Intel iGPU was to be used with VPX, it now read Default GPU?? Setting it back to Powersaver re enabled HW acceleration on the iGPU.

Whilst I am suspicious that this may have been reset by a Windows or Intel Graphics driver update (I have read of others finding their Windows Power plan mysteriously changing possibly due to such events), I am unsure as to whether changing the "Preferred GPU for playback in the arranger" in VPX Program Settings is perhaps over riding the Windows Graphic setting or vice versa.

More testing needed on that, but so far I can say that on my setup with an iGPU and an Nvidia GTX1060 both enabled and connected to separate monitors - the smoothest playback of section of 4K material, showing the lowest load in TM for both GPU's and the CPU, is with the Powersaver iGPU selected for VPX / MEP and the Nvidia 1060 selected for play back in the arranger in VPX Program Settings. Selecting the Intel Graphics in VPX showed double the load on the CPU in TM, about 3x the load on the iGPU and an unchanged load on the 1060, when playing the same section of the timeline.....intriguing!

Peter

System Specs: Intel 6th Gen i7 6700K 4Ghz O.C.4.6GHz, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming MoBo, 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD system disc WD Black 4TB HDD Video Storage, Nvidia GTX1060 OC 6GB, Win10 Pro 2004, MEP2016, 2022 (V21.0.1.92) Premium and prior, VPX7, VPX12 (V18.0.1.85). Microsoft Surface Pro3 i5 4300U 1.9GHz Max 2.6Ghz, HDGraphics 4400, 4GB Ram 128GB SSD + 64GB Strontium Micro SD card, Win 10Pro 2004, MEP2015 Premium.

tmcmenam wrote on 6/30/2019, 10:01 AM

Was having an issue getting Harwade encoding working with HEVC on my new PC using MEP 2019.

Windows 10, 9700K, GTX1080

The process below solved my problem because i couldn't set the preferred graphics processor using the Nvidia control panel.

Going into display settings, graphics settings and setting the graphics performance settings to power saving instead of High performance for MEP.

Hardware encoding is now working for me!

pawko13 wrote on 6/26/2020, 1:31 AM

Thanks. This method also works for me. But sometimes it switches to high by itself and again I have to manually force power save. What can this be caused by?

Scenestealer wrote on 6/26/2020, 6:43 AM

@pawko13

Hi

See my comment 2 up from here. I think it is most likely a Windows update that causes this.

Peter

System Specs: Intel 6th Gen i7 6700K 4Ghz O.C.4.6GHz, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming MoBo, 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD system disc WD Black 4TB HDD Video Storage, Nvidia GTX1060 OC 6GB, Win10 Pro 2004, MEP2016, 2022 (V21.0.1.92) Premium and prior, VPX7, VPX12 (V18.0.1.85). Microsoft Surface Pro3 i5 4300U 1.9GHz Max 2.6Ghz, HDGraphics 4400, 4GB Ram 128GB SSD + 64GB Strontium Micro SD card, Win 10Pro 2004, MEP2015 Premium.