Music recording plays slower than original speed

Phil-Ventham wrote on 1/3/2023, 11:35 PM

I have been recording music from a DJ app on an iPad through a Pioneer mixer into my HP laptop and recording using Sound Force 12.5. The laptop uses Windows 10. A common problem I have is that after recording a number of tracks perfectly, all of a sudden subsequent recordings, when played back in Sound Forge straight after the recording (ie: I don't close the file), sound like they are about 15-20% slower. I haven't changed any settings, it just happens spontaneously. All subsequent recordings do the same - I have to reboot the computer in order to record at the correct speed again.

Any suggestions for what might be happening here and whether there is a fix?

Comments

rraud wrote on 1/4/2023, 1:07 PM

Seasons greetings and welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Phil-Ventham,

I think Sound Forge 12.5 is the Audio Studio version? Which was unique (pros and cons).. and quite different from past and future versions of AS and Pro..
Is the input to your PC analog or digital?
When a file's playback pitch and speed is changed, it is usually a different sample rate from what it was recorded..for instance a 48kHz file playing back at 44.1kHz would be slightly slower (and lower in pitch).

What sample rate are you recording at? The Sound Forge default is 44.1kHz, if you want all new files to record @ 48kHz (and not change back to 44.1k), you can change the default in the (hidden) internal menu. Though I am not sure if this applies to Sound Forge 12.5 which are not installed on my PCs to check.

As I stated, I do not know if this applies to SF-12.5.. or if it will resolve the issue.
To change the default sample rate in the Sound Forge 'Internal' menu (which is normally hidden)
Go to the 'Options' menu, select 'Preferences' > whilst holding down the 'SHIFT' key. Then select the 'Internal' tab and search for the "New file sample rate" field. Change the sample rate to what you desire. and click elsewhere in the (internal) window (important) . Execute the change by clicking 'Apply' and 'OK'.. Restart Sound Forge and all new files rate should be at the new default sample rate.
The 'Mixer' and 'Engine' sample rates may have to be changed as well, which are also in the 'Internal' menu.

Phil-Ventham wrote on 1/6/2023, 1:22 AM

Hi @rraud and Seasons Greetings to you too!

The recording sample rate is 44100 Hz per the default setting in Sound Forge. I'm not sure what it would be coming out of the amplifier, but the strange this is that it records fine for a while and then records slower with me making no changes to any settings. For example, I was just recording something then - made 2 recordings. The first was recorded at the correct tempo, the second slower. It makes no logical sense.

I have actually downloaded Sound Forge 16, but can't currently use it to record as I can't figure out how to get it to recognise my sound card - nothing I try in audio settings will deliver the sound to it - it just says it's in use by another program. Sound Forge 12.5 does it automatically but the later version not. I don't know if I have to uninstall Sound Forge 12.5 to get version 16 to work properly (do they compete with each other?). I'm loathe to do this as the other thing I have discovered with version 16 is that when I set a marker within a track, if I then zoom it to that marker position, it moves the marker somewhere else - it's incredibly frustrating and makes version 16 unusable for what I want to do. So I'm finding I have to keep version 12.5 for both recording and editing. The only thing I'm able to use version 16 for is Mastering...

john_barr wrote on 1/6/2023, 8:39 AM

Hi, @Phil-Ventham

Send email to infoservice@magix.net and report these problems. Craig will help you.

rraud wrote on 1/6/2023, 10:56 AM

I don't know if I have to uninstall Sound Forge 12.5 to get version 16 to work properly

There can be multiple versions of Sound Forge on a PC. I currently have SFP-10, 13, 14, 15 and 16 installed on my Win 10 laptop. However if two versions are open at the same time using the same audio device, that may cause an unavailable error.
I had SFAS-12 installed a few years ago and do not recall any abnormal audio device issues. Make sure another application has not captured the same audio device.

Otherwise as @john_barr stated, contact support.

Phil-Ventham wrote on 1/7/2023, 12:17 AM

Thank you both - I will send the email... Hopefully they respond although I think I have contacted them before with no joy... Will come back to the forum if I get no response....

rraud wrote on 1/7/2023, 9:52 AM

Hi @Phil-Ventham, If there is no response to your email query, you can (officially) request a Magix support ticket.. though SF-12 is old and Magix may no longer be supported. You will get a response though.
The procedure for requesting a support ticket has changed, so you might want to peruse the new instructions. Link to instructional comment:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/sound-forge-display-font--1264650/#ca1822142