Previewing exported but not published site in browser

Comments

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 5/30/2022, 4:18 AM

Hi again John

Good news; my site is now working apart from two pages which apparently have not been exported yet; I think this is possibly because they have been altered since I exported the whole site and it didn't work. Will I be able to export these two pages or do I need to export the whole site again?

Once everything has been exported I will be in a position to publish it, which I want to do with Xara. I will give you the details of the Company who currently hold registered email address. When that is done I shall be out of your hair.

Thanks again for all the assistance you have given me, I couldn't have done it without you. My wife commented about the number of times I have contacted you, she said I will be sending you Christmas Cards soon.

I promise I won't. You'll probably be glad to see the back of me.

Cheers. Kind regards,Ernie

johnebaker wrote on 5/30/2022, 5:15 AM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi Ernie

That is good news - I would export the whole site again, to a new folder, this will ensure that you have not inadvertently changed a page that was OK.

. . . . I will give you the details of the Company who currently hold registered email address.  . . .

That should not be necessary. Once you have the site checked and working completely you can use Web Designer to publish the site by entering the FTP access details in to the Publish dialogs selecting the indicated options below if you are not using Xara Online, leave the Fast publish option checked in the second dialog image -once the site has been uploaded for the first time, only changes/additions made later will be uploaded

Select the correct FTP protocol - this should be provided by the host company

and enter the hosting upload (FTP) address, username and password

HTH

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 5/30/2022, 10:46 AM

Hi John

Sorry about this; you must think I'm a bit thick...and I agree, so far as websites are concerned. For some reason I realised that I had not included any meta tags and as there is no html code to include them in I read manual and added them by going into Utilities>Web properties. However, I must have cocked it up because two things have happened: 1.Wen I preview my site in my web browser the site comes up and the nav bar works but when it gets to the button next to the end, which is Contact, that's as far as it goes, the last button is missing, only on that page
2 the meta tags appear on the front of all the pages. I don't want to export it in this condition....what can I do, apart from changing my name to Jonah. I thought it was too good to be true that I am ready for publishing....almost!

H e l p!

Kind regards PS:

Ernie here is a screen shot

johnebaker wrote on 5/30/2022, 2:20 PM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi Ernie

. . . . I had not included any meta tags . . . .

I suspect from the image above you mean Keywords which are one form a meta-tag available.

There are many more meta-tags available and the only other one you may need to use is the site description meta-tag, the rest you do not usually need to bother with - the software creates and fills them in automatically as needed.

From your description, and what I see in your image above, the dialog shown below you selected one of the 2 HTML code locations and entered the Keywords there for it to display as shown in the image above. Meta-tags should not be seen, the Keywords and Description meta-tags are for the search engines bots to get a list of search words and the description of the site to use for searching and displaying the results in for example Google, Bing etc.

The indicated box is where you put the keywords separated by commas, as shown below.

The site description box above it can also be filled in with a short description of the site., Web Designer then creates the appropriate meta tags.

in the above example this is the code inserted into the header section of the page

<meta name="keywords" content="Bullock, RAF, Royal Air Force, Bridgnorth, High Wycombe, El Adem, Tobruk, Manchester University Air Squadron, MUAS "/>

HTH

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 5/31/2022, 12:38 AM

Hi, John

I understand what you have said, but how do I correct it? How do I delete what I have done so that I can do what I should have done in the first place?

Cheers,

Ernie

johnebaker wrote on 5/31/2022, 5:13 AM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi Ernie

Check that there is no code in the HTML code (body) and HTML code (head) options of the dialog box I showed in my last post - if there is delete it.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/31/2022, 5:14 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/1/2022, 12:58 AM

Hi John

I'm not sure if I'm stepping on someone's toes here; if I am I apologise. I was in the process of replying to your last post when I received a communication from Marie asking me send her certain information so that she could look at my site to sort it. She gave me a link which would stay open for two weeks. I sent a message back asking what she meant and how could I do what she asked as I didn't understand it. I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that you had contacted her about my site. Thinking about it yesterday evening, I was doing fine with your help until I cocked it up with the silly mistake with the tags. I deleted the tags as you suggested but the they still appear at the top of the pages and the last button is till missing on the Contact page. I replaced the page and copied the Nav Bar from another page onto it but it didn't make any difference. I was dead chuffed at being so near to publishing my site and I'm really annoyed with myself for making the error. Marie's message really confused me and I was wondering if you can offer any simple advice that I can use to correct my website.

Kind regards

Ernie

johnebaker wrote on 6/3/2022, 5:16 AM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi Ernie

I did not contact Magix Support on this issue.

I have sent a PM (private message) to you

John EB

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/4/2022, 9:59 AM

Hi John

I came very close to having some good news to tell you about my website. I,ve sorted out the problems of (a) the tags showing across the top of the home page and (b) the last button missing on the nav bar. I think the problem must have been caused by the nav bar. I changed the nav bar for another one completely and those two problems disappeared. I changed a couple of the pages around because I thought they were in the wrong sequence. Everything was going fine and I thought I was ready for exporting the site, when for some reasons the nav bar started showing the index details as well as some of the page names. I have included a couple of screen shots in the hope that you might have an idea as to how I can fix it. \i didn't want to fiddle with it now in case I cocked it up.

I think I,m getting there, but I must keep just missing something.

Cheers, Ernie

johnebaker wrote on 6/4/2022, 2:04 PM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi Ernest

I suspect either:

• You did not save the project at the point where you sorted the navbar out and then undid something too many times to remove a change you later made and inadvertently removed the navbar changes

or

• After saving the project, loaded an earlier version.

In the Navigation bar properties dialog (left image above), change the names to the correct ones in the first column only - these are what will be displayed in the navbar.

Did you get the private message I sent to you?

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/4/2022, 2:06 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/5/2022, 5:11 AM

Hi John

Yes, I did receive the message you sent to me and I followed your advice. Every time I tried to do something I cocked something else up I gave myself a couple of days off to recharge my batteries. I'm pleased to say that I think I am ready to publish my site. This morning, like most mornings I was up at 4.20.... my dog usually gets me up between 4.00am and 5.00am; occasionally it has been as early as 3.00am but if it is that early I usually go back to bed when I have sorted him out. If it is between 4.00am and 5.00am I stay downstairs because I am usually wide awake....that is when I get most of the work on my website and/or family tree stuff done.

I followed your last piece of advice and thought I had cracked it, but on one page my video was blacked out and on another page an image had stopped working but after "playing around with it this morning I finally sorted both the problems by 10.15am. I exported the site but I've not published it yet my confidence has suddenly evaporated, but I might try publishing it either today or tomorrow. If it goes without a hitch I will be pleased and relieved .I'm not counting my chickens though because so far every time I've thought I was nearly there something went wrong.

One thing is certain, I couldn't have done it without your help...in fact I think I would have given up long ago. You must have plenty of patience to put up with me for so long, thanks a lot.

Cheers, John

Ernie

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/6/2022, 4:50 AM

Hi John

So near yet so far! I was attempting to publish my website this morning but I hit a stumbling block..... I want to publish it with Magix but my website address is held by a Hosting Company. There is a form in the Magix website which I started to complete, but it said when completed send it by fax to Xara Group in Germany but I no longer have a Fax; The only alternatives I can think of are Email or Letter. What would you suggest?

Cheers

Enie

johnebaker wrote on 6/6/2022, 11:08 AM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi Ernie

. . . . my website address is held by a Hosting Company . . . .

I assume you got the domain name (website address) through Fasthosts - did you purchase hosting with them as well, or just the domain name?

If just the domain name, do you have a scanner?

If so scan the completed form and save as a PDF file.

Send an email, explaining you have no Fax, with the PDF file attached, to infoservice@magix.net - this will be forwarded to the correct department.

HTH

John EB

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/7/2022, 12:48 AM

Hi John

Thanks for the info. Yes, I got the domain name through Fasthosts about 15 years ago and I had a site up for a good few years, then took it down; but I have renewed the domain name every two years. My original site was built using X-Site Pro; it was so easy to use; a site could be built in no time. The owner became ill and decided to sell the the company but couldn't find a buyer so the company folded.

Just recently I decided to build a new site, but had I realised the number of problems I would encounter I don't think I would have bothered. Yes, I have a scanner as well as the domain name and I have been wondering which way to go, either publishing it through Magix or through Fasthosts. I can se advantages for both, I want to get the site up a.s.a.p so I will have to make a quick decision. I will let you know which method I choose,

Cheers,

Ernie

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/9/2022, 3:08 AM

Hi, John

Partial success! I decided eventually to use Fasthosts to host my website. I had a little trouble getting the information that I required to send to Magix/Xara but it would have been the same had I not used fasthosts because I would have still needed to get the information from Fasthosts. I must have made a mistake somewhere along the line because when I attempt to look at my site on the Internet i just get a Website Builder login page. There is no mention of this in the manual. Have you any ideas?

Cheers

Ernie

johnebaker wrote on 6/9/2022, 5:30 AM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi Ernie

Try forcing a reload of the site using Ctrl + F5 in your web browser.

It looks like the site is not uploaded yet - I get this message

If the site has not been uploaded yet use the Fasthost SFTP settings here - entering the information into the dialogs I posted further up this page here

HTH

John EB

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/10/2022, 1:44 AM

Hi, John

I thought I had finally cracked it, put I've only had partial success. My website has been uploaded and a message came on the screen saying that the upload had completed and that I could now view it in a browser; but when I tried I got the same result that I had when I hadn't uploaded all my files to the htdocs folder. What do you think might be the problem now?

Cheers,

Ernie

johnebaker wrote on 6/10/2022, 3:15 AM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi Ernie

I am still getting the same message as before, I would suggest you contact Fasthosts support and have them look at the site to see if they can see what is amiss.

John EB

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/10/2022, 5:14 AM

Hi John

I'm very close to giving up now. Fasthosts can't help me. I gave them all the information and I was told by Reynaldo that it seems as though I had uploaded the files to the subdirectory HTDOCS instead of the root directory htdocs. He said he's placed them into the correct directory now but there still seems to have missing.
He asked me to try it in a ,different browser, so I used Firefox and this time I got a list, like a menu, down the left hand side, of all the pages. Each page was listed twice, side by side e.g. Home Home. I have since noticed that for some reason the Memorials page (which is the last page) is missing). He got the same result so I assume he was using Firefox too. He mentioned that the images are not showing.
He then said if the website was done by a web developer/designer then I would need to refer this to him, but I told him it was done by me and I'm a novice. He then said if it was done using an application he guesses that I will need to contact the provider of the application. The only other alternative would be for me to recreate the website from scratch. I don't fancy that though. as I would only make the same mistakes I have already made. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

Cheers
Ernie

johnebaker wrote on 6/10/2022, 7:38 AM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi Ernie

Based on what the support at Fasthosts said and looking at the site, the index_htm_files folder and its content have not been moved to the htdocs folder - they are still in the HTDOCS folder as you can see in the image below.

Also, in Web Designer, does the indicated item in the dialog below have HTDOCS entered into it ?

I would get back to their support and ask for index_htm_files folder to be moved and if the subfolder needs specifying. Normally FTP settings do not need the root (htdocs) folder specifying.

Feel free to send them the link below so support can see this reply.

https://www.magix.info/us/forum/previewing-exported-but-not-published-site-in-browser--1299874/?page=2#ca1788250

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/10/2022, 7:39 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/10/2022, 10:38 AM

Hi John

It's working.... sort of now, but it won't open if I use www.erniebullockrafwebsite.co.uk; Fasthost have given me this link http://erniebullockrafwebsite.co.uk/index-e.htm which works well in Microsoft Edge and Firefox but sort of in Opera. The Home page is shot off on the right hand side; I have made a replacement and I asked him how I could change it and he said they did not have the facilities for changing pages there, so to ask Xara. can you help, John? The one thing I have noticed when I open up the web site, just before the address which I enter it says not secure.

By the way....is there any reason why it won't work if I use www etc, but it works with the http/ address?

Cheers

johnebaker wrote on 6/10/2022, 10:52 AM

@Ernest-Bullock

Hi

Congratulations Ernie - the www.erniebullockrafwebsite.co.uk works fine for me in Opera (my preferred browser), Firefox, Chrome and Edge.

I suspect that your browser(s) have cached some of the wrong pages and are using those - use Ctrl +F5 several times to force a browser refresh using www.erniebullockrafwebsite.co.uk

Did Fasthost say anything about the requirement for htdocs in the Web Designer subfolder box of the FTP settings dialog? The requirement needs clarifying before any further updates to the site.

John EB

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/10/2022, 1:28 PM

Hi John

Thanks for the congrats, I couldn't have done it without you. I came very close at times to giving up, but I don't like being beaten. No, Fasthosts didn't say anything about the requirement for htdocs in the Web Designer subfolder box of the FTP settings dialog. I dealt with this chap the other day and he wasn't very helpful then. He insisted today that the htdocs were in the correct place. I knew when he answered the chat line I was in for a hard time. In between his two chats I had one with another chap who was much more helpful this one tried to become more helpful when I told him I would probably cancel my purchase as I wasn't going to pay for something I couldn't use.

Once again John, thank you very much for all your help. I'll have a try with Ctrl +5 and see what happens.

Cheers, John

Kind regards

Ernie

Ernest-Bullock wrote on 6/10/2022, 1:55 PM

Hi again John

I've done what you said but there'e not much change. When you opened up my site did the home page have a big chunk chopped off the right hand side? mine still does. The pages are all the same size but that piece is missing off the home page; and in Firefox can't get in. I will keep trying though, and tomorrow I will try Fasthosts again to try and find out how I can retrieve the home page and replace with another.

Kind regards

Ernie