Comments

Andrew-Thompson wrote on 1/12/2020, 9:38 AM

Indeed. I think this this proves that an old Dell desktop PC running Windows 10(on a newly-fitted SSD which replaced the hard drive admittedly) CAN be made to capture video via FireWire on EditPro 17 Plus.

Now I just need to figure how to get the programme to upload direct to yotube without me having make a mpeg4 file first...

CubeAce wrote on 1/12/2020, 11:05 AM

@Andrew-Thompson

Hi Andrew.

Hardware only really ever needs changing if it can't cope with new projects because either you have new equipment that can't be read of converted by older software or the processing power of the PC. Other reasons might include exceptional rendering times if the files are large and the processing slow. Or of course if the old machine breaks.

Is uploading without a file even Possible? YouTube would need some sort of file to upload. I confess I upload to YouTube after I've looked at the final file for quality. I've never used the auto upload feature to know. I wouldn't have thought you could even keep a stable connection for that amount of time. (assuming rendering takes more than a few minutes)

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. version 1909.OS Build 18363.720. Latest Bios update as well as latest hardware updates for Western digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with 32GB of 2133MHz Corsair DDR4 ram. 1000 watt EVGA modular power supply. 2 x 320GB SSD drives striped for faster R/W times are my C: drive. 1 320gig Toshiba M2.1 drive. + x2 WD BLACK 2TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives. Total 4TB. Three external WD drives for backup. NVIDIA G Force GT 1030 Graphics clock 1252Mhz Memory data rate 6008Mhz. 384 CUDA cores. Memory interface 64bit Memory bandwidth 48.06 GB/s 2GB of dedicated video memory, shared system memory 9967MB PCi Express x4 Gen3. Running MEP Premium 19.0.2.58

johnebaker wrote on 1/12/2020, 12:03 PM

@Andrew-Thompson

Hi

. . . . Now I just need to figure how to get the programme to upload direct to yotube without me having make a mpeg4 file first... . . . .

You cannot not upload to YT without making the file first.

I agree with @CubeAce that it is better to export as mp4 following the YT recommended settings here, check the video for any issues and then use YTs uploader.

A couple of points to note:

1. YT made some changes to the upload API a while ago which rendered the uploader useless in older versions of MEP so it fails to upload - I have just tested this with MEP 2016 and it fails on my laptop.

2. There have been several users raised concerns about video quality and not getting it from YT, ie they were wanting the highest quality possible. YT will create lower resolution/quality versions of your upload for viewers who have low speed Internet connections and you have no control over this.

@CubeAce

. . . . you could even keep a stable connection for that amount of time. . . .

Rendering takes place to a temporary file before the uploader kicks in.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/12/2020, 12:04 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Lateral thinking can get things done!

VPX, MEP Premium, MEP 2016, and earlier versions, Music Maker Premium, Music Maker 2016, 2015.

Running Windows 10 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb + 2 x 2Tb internal HDD + 60Gb internal SSD, + 6 x 2Tb ext HDDs, Sony FDR-AX53 Video camera, Contour HD 1080 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Andrew-Thompson wrote on 1/12/2020, 1:01 PM

Ray and John: thanks. I thought it was just me not getting the correct sequence or something. From what you have said I think I may be doing it correctly, here is what I do:

1) after editing, save the file.

2)I then 'export as mpeg4' which creates a new file.

3) I then go to youtube, open up my home page and click 'upload'

4) when prompted to 'select file' I go to MEP and find the mpeg4 file I have just created, and select it.

Of course there are all the Title, Description, Tag boxes etc to be filled in but once I hit 'proceed' it all seems to happen quite smoothly.

Do you have any recommendations for the settings in MEP for exporting the file as mpeg4? There is quite a choice of resolution sizes.

Andrew-Thompson wrote on 1/12/2020, 2:04 PM

Thanks Ray, it seems that my whole life is posted on youtube! That layout we made for the tv series turned out better than we had hoped, very much a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

The website was ceased a few months ago, I had set it up for sales of a couple of fly fishing dvd's I produced a few years back. I still have some copies left, I would be happy to send you one at no cost if you are into that sort of thing?

CubeAce wrote on 1/12/2020, 2:28 PM

@Andrew-Thompson

Hi Andrew.

Exporting to MP4 or whatever file type you need is best kept to the project sizes which it turn should be set to be the same as the file types being imported into the project. So basically the same settings as you record with your camera. The only difference would be in the export dialogue box select the best quality settings you can. It will make the file slightly larger but will have less compression.

Look at the Profile, Level, and Coding quality settings.

You can leave them if you wish but I normally tweak the settings here a bit.

Adjust as follows.

At least, that's what I do, but then I work at a lot of different resolutions depending on the source file quality and size.

Windows 10 Enterprise. version 1909.OS Build 18363.720. Latest Bios update as well as latest hardware updates for Western digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with 32GB of 2133MHz Corsair DDR4 ram. 1000 watt EVGA modular power supply. 2 x 320GB SSD drives striped for faster R/W times are my C: drive. 1 320gig Toshiba M2.1 drive. + x2 WD BLACK 2TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives. Total 4TB. Three external WD drives for backup. NVIDIA G Force GT 1030 Graphics clock 1252Mhz Memory data rate 6008Mhz. 384 CUDA cores. Memory interface 64bit Memory bandwidth 48.06 GB/s 2GB of dedicated video memory, shared system memory 9967MB PCi Express x4 Gen3. Running MEP Premium 19.0.2.58

CubeAce wrote on 1/12/2020, 2:32 PM

Sadly I'm not a fisherman. My father worked on the sea all his life and it sort of cured most of my fishing instincts. I did enjoy fishing with a catapult over the side of an anchored ship and scooping them up with a net on a long pole once they came back up, but not enough patience for rod fishing 😉 Love the Jags though.

Last changed by CubeAce on 1/12/2020, 2:32 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

johnebaker wrote on 1/13/2020, 1:55 AM

@Andrew-Thompson

Hi

. . . . Do you have any recommendations for the settings in MEP for exporting the file as mpeg4? There is quite a choice of resolution sizes . . . .

I agree with @CubeAce with respect to the resolution (width x height) additionally I do not recommend upscaling as this can result in blurry video and / or visible artifacts, setting such a bitrate etc are in YTs recommended settings linked to in the third sentence of my previous post above.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/13/2020, 1:56 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Lateral thinking can get things done!

VPX, MEP Premium, MEP 2016, and earlier versions, Music Maker Premium, Music Maker 2016, 2015.

Running Windows 10 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb + 2 x 2Tb internal HDD + 60Gb internal SSD, + 6 x 2Tb ext HDDs, Sony FDR-AX53 Video camera, Contour HD 1080 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Andrew-Thompson wrote on 1/13/2020, 7:39 AM

Thanks for the advice chaps. I don't know how the quality of the short test clip I uploaded stands up, but I think all I did was basically change the upload settings to a 16:9 ratio aspect. I will have a look at all the settings you have highlighted.

Ray: we share that in common, my father also spent all his life at see. I followed in his footsteps, and whilst not deep sea anymore I do pilot ships for a living. It means I get home every night!

Andrew-Thompson wrote on 2/13/2020, 8:16 AM

Hi all,

After the initial success things have gone backwards...it seems that an automatic Windows update over-rode the Legacy Firewire driver. We have had various attempts at un-installing it and then re-installing the Legacy driver. The firewire works sometimes, and other times it doesn't. All highly frustrating.

My computer pal has posed the following question: is it viable to purchase a Firewire board from a different manufacturer (ie not Dell) which then might use a different firewire driver software? This may get us around the problem?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

cheers,

Andrew

emmrecs wrote on 2/13/2020, 10:23 AM

@Andrew-Thompson

First, thank you for flagging up this issue! I've not needed to use my FW connection to transfer video recently, but I know a job is about to arrive which requires it! So, I tested my system: No Go! Indeed, checking under Device Manager I discovered the Legacy drivers were no longer installed, or at least, being used. So, reinstalled, following the advice on the web page linked below, normal service resumed.

Since your issue seems to be rather more that, for you, FW is intermittent and you have tried to reinstall the Legacy driver, I'm not sure how useful to you this page might be, but I did notice, towards the foot of the page, reference to specific problems caused on Dell machines, giving an alternative solution. Perhaps worth trying?

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, Photo Story Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D

Andrew-Thompson wrote on 2/13/2020, 11:21 AM

Jeff, that was a swift response...thanks!

I will have a go at using the link on the top of the Dell page, obviously I will revert once this has been tried.

Andrew

Andrew-Thompson wrote on 3/28/2020, 3:26 PM

Ok, so a follow up to this problem: the Legacy driver turned out to be a very short-lived fix, after the Windows automatic update it appears to have been over-ridden by the later non-compatible driver. Despite many attempts to re-install the Legacy driver, we just couldn't get it to work properly again.

Further research by my friend found some information about fitting a Texas Instrument card to cure the Dell firewire issue. I have purchased this item and fitted it today with telephone guidance (aka "social distancing") from my pal. For those in a similar situation to me, this is the item I purchased:

Kalea PCI Express 1394a+1394b Firewire Card TIXI 02213BZAY. Make sure it is EXACTLY the same serial number, there is a slightly different one with an A instead of a B in that number...it is no good for this.

I edited and uploaded the following short video using the new firewire port to capture the video initially:

Everything worked perfectly!

emmrecs wrote on 3/29/2020, 3:39 AM

@Andrew-Thompson

Thanks for the update!

Yes, I really should have mentioned about having a FW card with a TI chipset, if you possibly can! As you say, such a card is often touted as the "best" way to resolve FW interface problems in "modern" computers; it certaily was for me.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, Photo Story Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D