Comments

rick-a wrote on 5/2/2022, 5:14 AM

@rick-a

Hi

Try increasing the audio playback buffers numbers and/or size - clicking in audio on playback would indicate the computer is struggling to process the audio.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Thanks John. I'll try that next time the problem occurs. I'm not getting clicks at the moment. Right now the buffering setting is 512 samples. That's the same as was set with my previous version of Sound Forge, version 9.

rick-a wrote on 5/3/2022, 3:01 AM

Sound Forge 16 Build 79 64 bit. Motu 828 mk3 interface. Using Motu Asio driver.

I've been looking into configuring the number of buffers for playback. I'm finding that the Configure function on this dialog usually doesn't work. Yesterday a couple of times it did respond correctly and the next dialog came up allowing me to see the number of buffers. But a couple of other times when pressing the Configure button I got no response. No configuration dialog came up. I've checked again today and again no response.

johnebaker wrote on 5/3/2022, 3:44 AM

@rick-a

Hi

Try doing a full restart of the computer, ie Windows button, Power Option, Restart, you may have a pending Windows update waiting to complete.

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

rick-a wrote on 5/3/2022, 6:57 AM

@rick-a

Hi

Try doing a full restart of the computer, ie Windows button, Power Option, Restart, you may have a pending Windows update waiting to complete.

John EB

It is working at the moment after a restart. i.e The Configuration dialog now opens. But why would a pending windows update, if that's what happened after the restart, affect that behaviour of that Preferences->Audio dialog such that the Advanced-> Configure button didn't work?

ReverendLove wrote on 5/3/2022, 9:09 AM

Every here ans then SFP16 loses its shortcuts. Example: There is no reaction oressing Ctrl-Shift-S (Save As) or Ctrl-Alt-L (Loop-Editor). Restarting SFP helps a while until it returns. There is no obvious reason or returning action triggering it.

johnebaker wrote on 5/3/2022, 1:59 PM

@ReverendLove

Hi

As per my comment above to rick-a, try doing a full restart of the computer, ie Windows button, Power Option, Restart, you may have a pending Windows update waiting to complete.

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

ReverendLove wrote on 5/3/2022, 3:59 PM

Thanks for the hint but did exactly that several times. There is no pending update. Everything is up to date.

rraud wrote on 5/3/2022, 6:06 PM

Every here ans then SFP16 loses its shortcuts.

I have never experienced that behavior or recall reports of it in SF-16 and prior.

Try deleting, moving or renaming the "keyboard.ini" file in C:\your user name\AppData\Roaming\MAGIX. Next time you launch SF, the default shortcuts will be recreated.

If rebuilding the <keyboard> file does not work try uninstalling SF using a third-party uninstaller like 'Revo Uninstall' twhcih can remove left-over registry entries and other pertinent data,which in usually the root cause of issues Revo has pro and freeware versions. The free version is adequate in most cases.

johnebaker wrote on 5/15/2022, 12:34 AM

@Unsounded

Hi

This topic is for feedback and Sound Forge, please do not hijack the topic with a specific issue you are having.

Create a new topic under the Sound Forge section of the forum, your post above has been hidden.

John EB
Forum Moderator

madtraxx wrote on 5/17/2022, 6:22 PM

For SFP 15 & SFP 16. Where does Bit-depth Converter and Resample presets being stored? I could not delete my custom presets I created on both.

rraud wrote on 5/18/2022, 1:26 PM

Probably in Appdata> Roaming or Local .. or the Win registry.
That said, in both SFP 15 and 16, I have no trouble deleting my custom presets in the resample and bit converter process window by clicking the red X next to the preset title.

madtraxx wrote on 5/18/2022, 8:41 PM

rraud - thanks a lot. I found it in the registry. Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MAGIX\SOUND FORGE Pro\ 15.0 &16.0 \Presets\... and other custom presets. I made some changes on the sound forge folder security, giving myself full control but still couldn't delete it. It will be deleted once the red X is clicked but upon reopening - the Preset drop-down will still show the supposedly deleted item. Anyways thanks again I can do some clean up through the registry.

rraud wrote on 5/19/2022, 10:17 AM

@madtraxx, indeed it does return, I did not check it after a re-launch. I will send a note to the SF development manager.

Thanks for pointing out this abnormal behavior.

madtraxx wrote on 5/19/2022, 5:55 PM

rraud, please include custom presets that couldn't be deleted for: Normalize, Clipped Peak Restoration, Graphic EQ & Paragraphic EQ. It would be great if you can ask the developers to check all other native preset modules that can be customized. Thank you.

Goran-Martinac wrote on 5/20/2022, 3:23 AM

I have been using Sound forge for years and with version 16 I have a couple of frustrating changes and inoperability ...😡

1. In preferences/general: Allow Ctrl+Shift+drag style zoom in data windows ... why "shift" was added?! It's a 20 year routine without a ***** shift...

2. In Apply Plug-in Chain ... every time you save some of your chain preset, sf16 open some previous one ?! frustrating slowdown..when you apply some chain and re-open Apply Plug-in Chain does not remember the last preset, but opens an empty default...

3. When you go to save as...not by default "default template", so in speed it often saves under a completely wrong sample rate or bit rate or mono or stereo ?!

David-Cole wrote on 5/26/2022, 9:55 PM

I just signed up for the new SF16 pro 365 suites. I've used SF since it's beginning with Sonic Foundry, but used Sonar as a full DAW, (now Cakewalk Bandlab) I also have Vegas Pro. For some reason I thought SF was now a could be used as a full DAW. I also own SF 14 and 15 and old ones going all the way back.

When buying the new SF Pro Suite---with the advertising info I thought Sound Forge would now do Multitracking.

Now I see it is "Multichannel NOT Multitrack," all the promo material made me believe it would do Pro Multitracking like a DAW. I see people saying "use Vegas pro for Multitracking." SO now I am confused and regret getting the 365 subscription this morning. But still like SF as an auxillary program. Am I misunderstanding something? Is Sound Forge ever going to go Multitrack? What about Acid and Samplitude. I use everything analog instruments and vocal, even my big keyboard synth is recorded with Mic'd cabinets. I avoid Midi and pretty much hate the fake electronica, which I was experimenting with as a little kid, many years ago.

Should I cancel my new MONTHLY payment subscription, I like all the bundled plugins, but I obviously misunderstood the new capabilities of 16.

Is the "Multichannel" function able to do the same as real multitracking? I am very use to Cakewalk bandlab, because it is just like Sonar I always used, but I also want to mix and match. Should I keep SF16 suite and also get Acid Pro, or is that mostly for looping and fake instruments?😊 I had tried that long ago and didn't care for it. I might download the trial and see what I think.

Thank You

dc

Russell-Pataky wrote on 6/10/2022, 4:51 AM

I just got Sound Forge 16, it's nice when it works. When it doesn't, it can be quite aggravating. I use it to rehabilitate CDs. I copy the CD, do what I have to with it and when I'm done, I try to save it. After the save, I only have one channel. This happens when I do a "save as", when I do a "save", it works OK..

rraud wrote on 6/10/2022, 12:26 PM

After the save, I only have one channel

I have had this happen more than a few times.. pilot error, saved as a mono file, I work with a lot of spoken word material so I frequently save as Mono, and forget to reset to stereo for music and S/FX.
Otherwise I have never experienced or read of a mono or missing channel abnormality.

Kev38 wrote on 6/11/2022, 10:17 AM

Another problem with SFP-16. I am getting clicks/pops on playback of audio. It happens about 30secs or so into playback and then constantly every few seconds during the rest of the file. I've checked the audio buffer, currently set at 2ms (128 samples) but can't see how to change it. Strangely if I play the same file back on SFP-15, with exactly the same settings, the file plays fine with no problems.

rraud wrote on 6/11/2022, 12:37 PM

If this occurs with lossy format files (MP3, AAC, ect.) enable "Always proxy compressed formats" in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu.

Playback and Record buffer settings are in "Options> Preferences> Audio" menu. The default setting for PB is 0.20 and 1.00 for Rec. If experimenting with different buffer settings does not resolve the issue, try another audio device type. MS Sound Mapper and Classic Wave driver device types are usually trouble-free and ASIO device types are usually not necessary for waveform editing software. External audio interfaces usually have their own settings as well.

All the above settings apply to SF Audio Studio as well. Though Audio Studio also installs the 'Magix Low Latency 2016 driver' which has been known to cause noise in Sound Forge, Vegas and other installed programs with audio. Folks have described this as a screeching sound, static or white noise.

BobSouer wrote on 6/14/2022, 5:53 PM

Sound Forge 16 has a consistent problem with prompted to updated to the latest release. The new version begins the install process (after I close the Sound Forge 16 itself) at appears to be installing well. Then the install freezes with the progress bar at between 1/3 and1/2 finished, a few moments later the PC reboots spontaneeously. When it finishes the restart, Sound Forge 16 is completely erased from my system. This has now happed with two updates in a row. Something's not right with the update installer.

rraud wrote on 6/15/2022, 8:59 AM

Some folks encounter issues with the update process.
In your case, I would suggest downloading the main installer from the Magix Download or Service Center which will be the latest build and install that. The end result should be the same as the updater patch. If there are problems afterward, uninstall first using a third-party uninstaller that will remove left-over registry entries and pertinent data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which in usually the root of issues
Revo Uninstall has a pro and freeware versions. The free version is adequate in most cases, but you may need the pro version which has the forced uninstall ,

madtraxx wrote on 6/16/2022, 1:48 PM

Abnormal behavior in SFPro 16.1 (Upgraded today). After the upgrade I processed a track that is 5'42" long (00:05:42.000). After finalizing the process I noticed that the track length went down to 00:05:40.210. I made an "Undo All" the track went back to its original length. I reprocessed the track and while applying changes I monitored the track length. I discovered that the track length changes at the point of applying: Rx9 De-Clip, Ozone 9 Low End Focus & Ozone 9 Maximizer. Other Ozone 9 FX plug-ins I used did not change the track length. I did a reset all preferences & deleted cached data but it did not fix the issue. Did not encounter this abnormality in SFPro16.0 & 15.

rraud wrote on 6/16/2022, 2:47 PM

If the file is an MP3 or other lossy type, try enabling "Always proxy compressed formats" in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu. It is common when re-rendering MP3 files for the length to change some... it usually only adds a few milliseconds though, so the proxy mode may not help.