Comments

john_barr wrote on 11/12/2022, 12:05 PM

Magix developers don't understand DAW's. Sound Forge has issues it didn't have before. With each new version, it gets worse. If Sound Forge 17 has the same issues as version 16, I won't buy it.

david-chetkin wrote on 11/25/2022, 5:50 PM

In SF Pro 16 the mastering process leaves silent gaps throughout the song. ?????????????????

SP. wrote on 11/25/2022, 5:55 PM

@david-chetkin Are you using plugins in demo mode? Some demo plugins introduce silence in intervals, other plugins create noise. This depends on the developer.

Don-Richards wrote on 11/29/2022, 4:45 PM

I have Soundforge Pro 15 and thought about upgrading to 16 so I installed the trial version. When trying to uninstall either version I get an error message that says "could not open key UNKNOWN\.ogg\forge150_ogg" I need a solution to this problem. Can anyone help ?

rraud wrote on 11/30/2022, 10:18 AM

You do not really need to uninstall other versions (including the 30-day trial which identical to a purchased version, except of the activation serial). I currently have SFP 10 and 12 through 16 installed on my Win 10 laptop. All coexist without issue.

However if you absolutely do want to uninstall, use 'Revo Uninstall Pro' which has a 'forced uninstall' tool for when the program's uninstall file is missing. See this recent thread.
Unfortunately Revo's free uninstaller version.. (highly regarded and adequate in most other cases), does not have the 'forced' uninstall mode.
However, Revo's Uninstall Pro trial version is fully functional for 30 days..

btw, @Don-Richards, you should have started a new topic, but it is not a big deal, so no worrys.

david-p2767Daveyd wrote on 12/3/2022, 1:21 PM

I just purchased Sound Forge 16 pro and when I zoom in and out on a beat the curser moves position which makes it impossible to cut/edit files. Is this some sort of bug? It happens on both my computers (Desktop and laptop). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

rraud wrote on 12/3/2022, 3:26 PM

Hi @david-p2767Daveyd check the "Snapping" settings in the "Options" menu. Deoending on the setting. the cursor will snap to: Grid, Markers, Events and/or Zero Crossings. It can be disabled all together as well. I usually have it set to 'Zero Crossings' only. However for precise editing down to the millisecond or sample level, I disable it. There are other settings in the 'Options' menu the can affect cursor behavior like "Seek cursor on Playback" and "Quantize to frames". Confirm you are the (Normal) "Edit> Tool> Edit" mode as well. The 'Event' edit mode can be confusing if enabled by mistake.

david-p2767Daveyd wrote on 12/5/2022, 2:03 PM

Thank you for the suggestions rraud unfortunately non of them fixed my issues. I have a video of my issue here. http://www.bestdjsinrochester.com/miscvideo

rraud wrote on 12/5/2022, 5:28 PM

Hi @david-p2767Daveyd, I am not sure what is happening.. Are you stating the cursor does not stay-put where you place it, and 'snaps' to an adjacent location? "Quantize to frames" is typically enabled by mistake. Editing to the frame level (usually 30 fps) is not precise enough to place the cursor exactly on an up or downbeat. This resembles what is happening in your video.. (I think). Confirm 'Quantize to frames' is disabled in the 'Options' menu. The thin box outline is a little difficult to see if it's enabled or not.

If all else fails, try resetting Sound Forge to the factory default settings in the 'File' menu..Select "Reset all preferences and cached data", and restart SF.

david-p2767Daveyd wrote on 12/6/2022, 10:45 AM

Yes, I turned off Quantize to frames unfortunately the cursor still moves I also have restored to default. Still jumps around when I zoom in and out.

rraud wrote on 12/6/2022, 11:57 AM

Sorry, I am running out of suggestions @david-p2767Daveyd. How are you zooming in? Are you using the 'Magnify' edit too, the timeline + / - , the mouse wheel or the keyboard arrow keys. I have tried many settings and I cannot duplicate the behavior, though I may have missed something. Try "Seek cursor on playback" and "Scroll playback". Also double-check that 'Snapping' is globally disabled. All or the above settings are in the 'Options' menu. I do not recall any bug of this sort and it may well still be a setting we are missing.

Update: Resolved: The key factor in this case was a lossy file format. Enabling "Always proxy compressed formats" (Options> Preferences> General), resolved the abnormal cursor behavior.

Chris-Nichols wrote on 12/6/2022, 8:05 PM

I got a new computer and installed Sound Forge Pro 16. When I tried to activate it, it told me I was beyond my limit. How can I get it registered?

rraud wrote on 12/7/2022, 10:05 AM

When I tried to activate Sound Forge, it told me I was beyond my limit.

Hi @Chris-Nichols one perpetual license can activate Sound Forge on two (2) PCs simultaneously... but only one (1) PC with the '365' subscription version. You can deactivate Sound Forge on your decommissioned PC in your Magix Service Center account. Click "My Products" and select the pertinent product from your software list. Then select "Show more details" and "Deactivate" the PC you no longer want to use SF on.

If the PC is still online, SF can also be deactivated in the SF 'Help' menu, select 'Deactivate the Software on this PC'.

noisywan wrote on 12/16/2022, 8:09 AM

Thank you for the suggestions rraud unfortunately non of them fixed my issues. I have a video of my issue here. http://www.bestdjsinrochester.com/miscvideo

I remember having a similar issue with a compresed file once (might be mp3 or ogg, can't remember). Either the source file or the temporary wave graph file that SF generates was somehow corrupt or damaged so the cursor position looked like jumping around when I zoomed in and out, and at some stages of zoom, I see the file as blank/muted. I guess I fixed it by converting the source file to WAV. Actually it wasn't the cursor jumping, it was the wave graph showing wrong part of the file.

Does this happen with a specific file or all files you load into SF?
Do you hear the correct part of the audio when you playback?
Does the cursor actually jumps or it's just a display error due to the wave graph?

I recommend trying these;
delete the .SFK file and let SF create it again.
or convert to PCM / WAV.

Shake wrote on 12/16/2022, 8:34 PM

just got the resent update to Forge Pro 16 Suite now iZotope plugins require me to send error reports and Modern EQ VST 2 also VST 3 crashes the now useless program any better alternatives to this software that work with all the plugins I have?

rraud wrote on 12/17/2022, 10:30 AM

Any better alternatives to this software that work with all the plugins I have?

Sound Forge Pro 15 will run the SFP-16 plug-ins (and the SFP-16 Suite plug-ins) if they are installed and activated already.
If you have a valid registered license for SFP-16 and do not already have the previous version (SFP-15), request a SFP-15 serial,
No guarantees, but Magix has been accommodating in this regard.

Brian-Birge wrote on 12/21/2022, 10:34 AM

Hey all, I just recently updated to the latest Pro 16 and now when I save a wav file as an mp3 the mp3 playback has pops in it on playback. Comparing with the wav, the wav does not have them, and the pops happen at the same places upon playback but are in different places if I re-save as an mp3 from the original wav again. So definitely something in the process of saving as an mp3. I always choose 320k quality. This does not happen in earlier versions. Please help!

rraud wrote on 12/21/2022, 3:02 PM

I have not experienced problems encoding MP3s with SFP-16.1.3. That said, build 68 is still messed up. You can reinstall the previous build (55) which may still be in your 'Documents> MAGIX Downloads" folder, if you do not still have it, download the (unpacked build 55) installer here.
Better yet, use SFP-15 or earlier until SFP-16 problems are resolved (don't hold yo' breath).

Hector-Gamboa wrote on 12/28/2022, 3:14 PM

Hey all, I just recently updated to the latest Pro 16 and now when I save a wav file as an mp3 the mp3 playback has pops in it on playback. Comparing with the wav, the wav does not have them, and the pops happen at the same places upon playback but are in different places if I re-save as an mp3 from the original wav again. So definitely something in the process of saving as an mp3. I always choose 320k quality. This does not happen in earlier versions. Please help!

I have the same issue and it all began with the latest update. When I reload a file the pops are gone but if I process it (such as increase the volume on waveform) pops and even skips are introduced at random places on my file.

rraud wrote on 12/28/2022, 4:49 PM

Hi @Hector-Gamboa, Try enabling "Always proxy compressed formats" in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu.

noisywan wrote on 1/4/2023, 3:38 AM

SF16 made me very angry today.

I was editing a WAV PCM file and after a lot of editing I hit SAVE and it crashed. I sent my error report, then I run it again. It did not ask for recovering anything!

After a facepalm, I browsed to the location where my source file should be and IT WASN'T THERE!

I noticed SF created 2 TMP files there. I used MPC-HC to play the first one "frg001.tmp". It was my source file!

(SF renamed my source file (?!), how is that possible?)

The second file was a copy of my editing progress.

Even though files were sitting there, I had to recover both of them MANUALLY. (Any unexperienced user would probably skip these steps and start editing again, - luckly if they had a copy of the source file elsewhere)

I used to work with earlier SF (11 and earlier) in confidence, now I can't. This is such a trust breaker.

rraud wrote on 1/4/2023, 11:18 AM

Seasons greetings @noisywan,
Sound Forge Pro 16 has issues and some folks (me included) have reverted back to SFP-15 or earlier.. Though I am not sure the issue you experienced was due to a bug in SFP-16. As I recall, when a crashes occurred with SF in general, it did not always ask to reopen the file (sometimes it did, sometimes it did not)... so retrieving the (cryptic named) <.tmp> file(s) manually (as you did) was sometimes necessary.
You can email Magix at infoservice@magix.net and alert them to this possible bug.

Dave-Williams9210 wrote on 1/12/2023, 12:33 PM

every time I open SF16, I get a message tyoi say that updates are available for the installed version 16.1.1.30 to the latest version 16.1.3.68, but when I click update now, I just get a blank box and the only way out of it is to close it, with no updates.

rraud wrote on 1/12/2023, 3:03 PM

If you use VST plug-ins. I recommend waiting for the next update. The current SFP-16.1.3 build 68 has many of the same issues and some new ones.

That said, if you really want to update, log in to the "Magix Service Center> My Products" or the Download Center for the SFP-16 installer (which will be the latest build) and will have the same end result as the update procedure.. which is sometimes flaky. Do not uninstall the current version until the installer dialog asks to.