[RELEASE] Movie Studio 18

MAGIX_Redaktion wrote on 7/15/2021, 10:43 AM

Dear community,

It’s time for a new era! We have decided to discontinue VEGAS Movie Studio in its known form. In return, we want to introduce you to a new product, based on our beloved Movie Edit Pro Infusion Engine, called Movie Studio 18.

We plan to introduce Movie Studio 18 gradually as to why it is still comparable to Movie Edit Pro 2021 at this moment.

Movie Studio 18 is the beginning of the rebrand of Movie Edit Pro for all non-German-speaking countries and is designed for beginners and advanced users.

If you want to learn more about Movie Studio 18, check out the following product page with detailed information: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/

To provide you with all help necessary, we prepared various tutorials on how to use Movie Studio 18 compared to VEGAS Movie Studio 17 to be found on the webpage as well.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Best wishes,
MAGIX Team

Comments

Nick_Hope wrote on 7/16/2021, 1:46 AM

You need a new "MOVIE STUDIO" sub-section under the "VIDEO" section of this forum, or rename "MOVIE EDIT PRO" to "MOVIE EDIT PRO / MOVIE STUDIO". Otherwise users will wrongly post on the VEGAS Movie Studio forum, where MAGIX Movie Studio will not be discussed.

palmzee wrote on 7/17/2021, 9:51 PM

Just Bought it coming from Movie Studio 16 Platinum. Its has different command icons so i need to start learning the software again from scratch. It's a lot faster with video triming but its early days to even comment on the software. I went for the Suite to get the extra software where it can remove objects. Also it's a great price compared to the last versions at the moment with the discounts available being new.

johnebaker wrote on 7/18/2021, 6:04 AM

@palmzee

Hi

See these tutorials they refer to Movie Edit Pro - Movie Studio 18 is the same program with the added capability of import Vegas movie Studio projects - currently raw edits only.

Basic editing part 1

Basic editing part 2 - cutting and trimming

Newer tutorials with more detail.

Getting started pt1                        

Getting started pt2                        

Getting started pt3                        

Everything audio pt1                    

Everythjng audio pt2                    

Fades and transitions pt1            

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator    

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/20/2022, 10:29 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 7/18/2021, 11:24 PM

@MAGIX_Redaktion

We plan to introduce Movie Studio 18 gradually as to why it is still comparable to Movie Edit Pro 2021 at this moment.

Movie Studio 18 is the beginning of the rebrand of Movie Edit Pro for all non-German-speaking countries and is designed for beginners and advanced users.

This is not clear. I sincerely hope that Magix is not trying to make two separate programs - MEP and MMS as this will just suck up scarce resources, harming both. Just make one - and the same for all languages. Call it what you want. Issue an update to MEP/VDL and call it MMS18 and include the ability to import VMS files for everyone.

Clarity is important and the MMS rollout was a marketing and public-relations disaster requiring major damage control this week.

As for marketing, stop trying to sell MEP as an upgrade to Vegas Movie Studio. MEP is actually is a much better product but Vegas users don't know that. The marketing so far has been trying to sell MEP/MMS editing features that already exist in Vegas MS. Tell them that they get the same editing features and more in MMS and try selling them everything that is not in Vegas MS, and there is plenty that is not in there. I spent a few hours going through Vegas MS16 wondering if I was not missing all of the extra content - no Soundtrack Maker, no music with the Slideshow maker, no cutting music to the beat, few title and transitions templates, no 3D title templates (or anything like 3D Maker), no intros/outros, no PiP, no collages, nothing like Travel Maps, little in the way of Design Elements and Image Objects, etc.

Lastly, Magix.info is not the place to talk to Vegas MS users - use the Vegas forum for that for now.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

tsoilihoi wrote on 7/19/2021, 2:32 AM

Beware!!! This company is exhibiting disorganization and very rude conduct. There 14 day refund policy seems unlikely to be honored as they seem to throw concerns right back in the customers face. Support, what support?
A 24 to 48 hour turn around! No real time chat to help out with a program that is a totally different animal. No videos... at least for this product. No 3rd party videos on Youtube. Just the printed manual that is no substitute for support. So are we suppose to figure it out on this forum? A have upgraded for years, using movie studio 17.
I did not expect to have to go it alone and expect some form of up and running help. At least some basic videos.
This is not becoming of a company that has served the customer for so many years. I personally do not like walking on egg shells with a license agreement that is self-serving and offers not consideration. It also took me close to 30 minutes to find the agreement and figure out how to contact their sales. Sorry to say, but this is
a deal breaker. PB

emmrecs wrote on 7/19/2021, 3:30 AM

@tsoilihoi

Did you read the post from @johnebaker, two above yours? If you did, you would see a list of tutorials. Although these are are for Movie Edit Pro they are clearly applicable to Magix Movie Studio 18 since the latter is simply a "rebadged" version of the former. As such, any official Magix or third-party videos about MEP are also applicable to MMS 18.

Yes, if you have been, previously, a user of Vegas Movie Studio 17 then this is, for you, a brand new product. But, the claims you make in your post are demonstrably wrong so please confine yourself in future posts to factually accurate statements. Thank you.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Reyfox wrote on 7/19/2021, 4:58 AM

@browj2 I agree with you on selling what VMS does not offer that MM18 does. But that would depend on which version you have. There were 3, just like MEP. Certainly Pro doesn't equal Premium in what each can do.

And while we have our "favorites", it is subjective based on what we've been using and know. One of the biggest hurdles I think in a transition to MMS18 would be the way it edits. Main track always is on top. VMS, VP, Resolve, Premiere, etc. edit with overlays "over" the main track. While not insurmountable, it's different. People want to "mimic" what the "pros" do, so associate that way of editing in this. Videos showing the difference and how to easily transition are what is needed. That you can produce just as stunning a video with MMS18 as you can with just about any other editor without the bashing is needed. The basics of editing is the same, it's just where everything is and as you clearly pointed out, what is different and possibly beneficial to the user. Especially if Magix wants to keep them as users who might possibly upgrade to Video Pro X in the future. Being "gentle" and "kind" as they come in and ask questions, without touting the benefits over VMS, I think is the way to go. There are things that VMS can do that MEP can't. Just ask any of the long time VMS users. Then it becomes a "pissing contest" and no one wins and no one listens.

I've been editing since Amiga/Toaster days. I've had many different editors pass in front of me. I've had VMS on my computer in the past, I use Vegas Pro. While I've had versions of MEP in the past, VPX is what is on my computer. And I have several other editors for various reasons. Each has something the others don't, so I use the right tool for the job at hand. In the end, that is all the an editing software is, a tool in the hands of the user. Show them the best that can be done with MMS18.

browj2 wrote on 7/19/2021, 8:33 AM

@tsoilihoi

Hi,

Other than the tutorials listed by John EB (mine), there are 7 tutorials on the Magix.com site here, explaining how to use MMS. Watch them first.

This forum has plenty of help and we have guided at least one user through many questions. See the posts by @inacoveney. I believe that we, MEP users, have reacted quickly to help out new users coming from Vegas MS. But, we can't answer questions that have not been asked.

Unless you want to pay a lot of money, no software company offers online or telephone help for users wanting to learn how to use a program. They, and especially Magix, provide a manual and tutorials to learn how to use a program. Support is for those having problems with the program, not those who are learning the program.

@Reyfox

Hi,

There were 3, just like MEP. Certainly Pro doesn't equal Premium in what each can do.

Just to clarify the versions of MEP, the program for Plus and Premium are one and the same. The only difference is that Premium offers (more than Plus in some cases) additional third party software/plugins. The basic version has less features in the program and I never recommend it to anyone. This is not very obvious to users trying to figure out what to buy, unfortunately.

Being "gentle" and "kind" as they come in and ask questions, without touting the benefits over VMS, I think is the way to go.

I agree and I think that we have been. However, Magix needs to sell what MEP has that VMS does not. When users come here, they have likely already purchased MMS so we can guide them.

There are things that VMS can do that MEP can't. Just ask any of the long time VMS users. Then it becomes a "pissing contest" and no one wins and no one listens.

That depends on how it is handled. I will start a thread on this forum asking users what it is that VMS can do that MEP can't. Then, we can see if that is because they don't know how to do it in MEP, or propose a way to do it, or put it on a wish list to Magix to add to MEP. I think that it is getting harder and harder for companies like Magix to come up with new features, so they may appreciate having some fresh ideas.

One problem for those going the trial route is that they don't get the extra content until after purchasing, which represents about half of the program and the part that really makes MEP interesting.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

tsoilihoi wrote on 7/19/2021, 9:54 AM

to all... the last thing I want to do is to rant. Were it not for this forum, I would not know that the new movie studio is a knock-off of another program. It's nowhere on the website and that is what the tech support form is for. I asked for help and a refund if they could not and was rewarded by "no refund." "Plenty of support." Had they taken the moment to alert me to what your moderator told me, I would have had the info necessary to go to work on the new program which is very different. So what was the point of a technical support form with a 48 hour turn around when my request was tersely responded too? I'm glad for the help here, but I take issue with the "demonstrably false" remark above, as it was the information given that solved the problem and it took the forum to clear this up. So it seems that tech support via email has thrown the effort to the community. Might the moderator not brow beat Magix, instead for not having a word of explanation on the site or in the reply? ... and this is not the first time something has occurred. The last was offering version 16 for a fare price 10 days before the release of 17 and then refusing to refund. Lucky that the products are sound and that makes it harder to break off from Magix. I stand by what I said and thank the forum for the posts which by the way are not on the Vegas Movie Studio Forum, yet another confusion. best PB

Reyfox wrote on 7/19/2021, 10:05 AM

@browj2 MEP/MMS18 can not handle Smartsound music. Many have the plugin, users like myself have had Smartsound/Sonicfire Pro and acquired music for almost 2 decades. SS is a part of, at least, my workflow.

And I agree... it is getting harder to come up with "new" selling points.

Out of curiosity, does MEP/MMS18 support OFX plugins? I know VPX supports most of the ones that I have.

browj2 wrote on 7/19/2021, 10:23 AM

@Reyfox

Hi,

Smartsound has been on the list for a long time. I have it and would love to have a plugin for it for VPX/MEP.

Yes, MEP supports OFX plugins. See the comparison table.

John CB

John C.B.

Len-Nasman wrote on 7/20/2021, 11:38 PM

The advertising for Movie Studio 18 clearly suggested that it was an upgrade to 17. In fact, it is a completely different program with a very different user interface. Most of us that paid money for 18 did not find out that we had to throw away years of knowledge and start over from scratch until our money was sent off to Magix. Most of us cannot afford the unexpected and unplanned time required for learning completely new software. To be hit by this with no warning is inexcusable. If we knew we would have to learn completely new software, we would not have put up money just to find out we were duped by misleading advertising. Magix has lost credibility as a serious company that cares about it's users. Since I have to learn how to use new software anyway, In spite of having spent money for years with Magix, I will be going elsewhere. As the tech support person for our local computer club, I will now be directing my friends away from dealing with Magix.

ericlnz wrote on 7/21/2021, 4:57 AM

@Len-Nasman This has been the subject of much discussion both here and on the Vegas forum https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-movie-studio-forum/

Personally I find Magix's behaviour misleading/misrepresentation and in breach of most countries consumer protection legislation. You should ask for a refund.

Anyway your VMS17 will still work so if you are happy with it continue using it. You are not forced to have to learn new software.

tsoilihoi wrote on 7/21/2021, 8:44 AM

Amen, Len-Nasman,

As long as this forum is Magix, not-so- hired hand in the tech support area... it is not their hired gun. They failed in the direct tech support area by not providing information that I requested, like where is the information. Its not incumbent on me to have to scour their site. It was obvious that the manual was the only immediate tutorial, two posts on Youtube which where not step by steps and links on the website to the older program. I just felt this was not the time for me to venture as I am using the program to edit my Dad's funeral and not in the mood to do hobby study. So I requested a refund, waited 2 days and got an instant denial. What the, with a 14 day return policy... (a disclaimer for downloads printed somewhere else.) It just became an organizational night mare to me. So the response from the forum, very helpful, the second paragraph of the response, uncalled for. If the moderator is not aware of the initial contact with Magix, prior experiences which exist, is not an employee, then making future assessment of the veracity of my post is heavy handed and unhelpful. The truth is that Magix deserves the criticism. Last year they offered me a great deal on 16, just 10 days before the release of 17 and would not refund. The new release was not posted. That was plain shady business practice. Any way, back to my point. If Magix is giving up on up and running support, chat or any real time support, then its my feeling that tutorial and transitional help should be on the site and reliance on a customer based support should not be the primary means of support. One more thing, with the last problem of the special price just before the new release, I posted and the moderator told me that I was on the wrong forum, go too Vegas, when I got there that forum moderator said he did not work for Magix. With what happened twice to me, I don't think anyone should be so quick to judge my motive and the truth of what I am saying. Pulling a rabbit out of a hat, thank you, but a customer forum should not have to run interference to excuse they lack of prep. PB

browj2 wrote on 7/21/2021, 10:06 AM

@tsoilihoi

This thing caught everyone by surprise, including moderators.

As for tutorials, there are 7 available on Magix.com, no need to scour the internet. There is also a link to FAQ on the linked page and the following statement:

"Our development team is very determined to complete the full functionality that will allow you to import your VEGAS Movie Studio projects into the brand new Movie Studio 18. We will keep you updated."

As well, John Baker has published a list of other tutorials at the top of the forum that should help those new to the program.

I'm not trying absolve Magix of its mishandling of this, just commenting on your comment about tutorials.

John CB

John C.B.

tsoilihoi wrote on 7/21/2021, 2:46 PM

unfortunately this is not the first run around with Magix and the delay in dealing with problems is not helped by the lack of at least a chat. Something the Sony offered. Well, its a different time. However, they are not clueless to the problems I and many experienced and to throw it over to the forum is to re-write customary tech support. I did not come onto the forum to whine. By the time I made my decision to post here, I had been refused a refund and had already looked through the site for info... my post was a beware as I could have had my questions answered with a couple of basic tutorials and a Youtube video or two. I was not born yesterday. So it wasn't my intent to come to the forum to post,"what do you know that I don't!" This list above is very helpful as well as knowing that the program is related to another... Now maybe this should be posted on the main site and understood by the tech reps, so that others don't have to bounce around the website for basic setup problems. There is more than enough help that a forum such as this can do in more demanding topics. Magix was just not ready in their support to release the product and they have been doing the business for years and years in the Circuit City era of the 1980s.

Reyfox wrote on 7/21/2021, 3:16 PM

@tsoilihoi if you paid with PayPal, you should get a refund back. Let PayPal know, and they will intervene. Magix doesn't want to tarnish the relationship with PayPal. Most credit cards do the same thing.

Still, if you look at the MS18 webpage, you don't see much of anything of the UI. It's not until you get to the very bottom and decide to click on the one of the "tutorials" do you get a "glimpse" of it.

User forums have replaced tech support for a lot of companies. The profit margins are slim, and the cost of a good tech person can eat that up in one call. Then you get the ones with busted computers, how do you do something, etc....

Would I recommend someone from outside the EU to buy a Magix product? I'd tell them at their own risk. The strong possibility of no refunds.

tsoilihoi wrote on 7/21/2021, 3:33 PM

Reyfox. I handled the refund by being VERY direct with the sales representative. There is good faith and bad faith, there is published policy and then there is spin. I got BS and dealt with it. My post was a warning and I hope that people realize that I tried to be direct with Magix, before I posted my initial post. Most important, a forum primarily hosting consumers should not bear the burden of product put out before the necessary support tools are put out. Surprises are the domain of beta testers and the consumer should not have to adopt that role. This is why I am thankful that you all have info, but please don't thank that what I am saying is unsubstantiated.
This posted on the Magix website word have changed my perspective instantly... "Movie Studio 17 users, welcome to Movie Studio 18. This new version is similar to our pro product, please use these videos and information as we get up to speed...." This is what the rep should have told me on the support ticket. he did not.

Thanks for you help. PB

browj2 wrote on 7/22/2021, 7:42 AM

I just noticed the message near the top of the screen on the Magix.com Movie Studio advert screen. It's far too small - Magix should make it a lot bigger so that users can readily see it and click on it.

Here is the message when you click on it:

John CB

John C.B.

Dennis-Berry wrote on 7/22/2021, 2:15 PM

I must say I am in agreement with those comments on the method of selling this new editor as a replacement for VMS17. The deal breaker for me is the total lack of hardware GPU encode/decode availability. If virtually all of the open source transcoders (staxrip, avidemux, handbrake etc.) as well as most commercial editors including VMS17, there is simply no reason not to use it in MS18. I believe it is available in MSP.

Reyfox wrote on 7/22/2021, 3:20 PM

It is not that MEP2021 is a bad editor, because it isn't. It's a lateral to a product that will continue to be developed. Products do reach an end of life. And life goes on. There are choices, and honesty goes a long way. There are some users that although they didn't know it wasn't going to be VMS, are quite surprised and happy so far. And this user forum has helpful users/moderators that are willing to help those with questions get over the editing "hump".

This whole transition thing was poorly thought out.....

websnail wrote on 7/23/2021, 9:19 AM

To mirror other comments on here... The issue here is the use of the term "upgrade". It's not an upgrade it's a replacement. There are a myriad of ways this could have been better handled and frankly I would recommend pulling the "upgrade" marketing and rethink it based on a lot of constructive feedback provided above. At least then the mob style momentum is broken and heck, responding to feedback is usually a positive right?

My initial thought, when I realised what had happened, was to get angry about what I perceived to be bait and switch. Comments above have given me pause as there seems to be some profit in taking a step back and reviewing the functionality with a critical but open eye. Something I'll do in due course but part of me is wondering whether to return to MS17 rather learn something new. I certainly hadn't expected such a major change without warning...

Just my 10 penneth in change on the subject.

Bob-Nicholson wrote on 7/26/2021, 7:55 AM

I will never buy another Magix product again. I was hoodwinked into thinking this way an upgrade..NOT! I've been a long long time customer with Vegas. Acid, Sound Forge, Movie Platinum and was cheated by deceptive advertising. The feature slide program in Movie Studio I use and it's not there in 18.. I written PayPal for a refund and will let my Facebook friend to steer clear of Magix...

Dennis-Berry wrote on 7/26/2021, 12:39 PM

Just to take this no NVENC in MS18 Platinum further.. Here is a screen shot of the selections available in VMS17. These are MAGIX codec's and have NVENC support. They should also be in the "Upgrade/Replacement" program. Why are these choices not included.